dealer problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl for life

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i see alot of people have dealer problem and what not and i want people to share there experiences they have had with there local dealer . like getting a saw back from them and its all wrong/not working, extreme prices to get things fixed or just dealing with the dealer him self .

well i will start it off, before i started working at the stihl shop i am at now (part time when im not logging ) i use to go to my local dealer . boy o boy was this guys a jack ass . i went in there to order an oem 460 jug (was making my 440 a hybird had mentor piston at home ) he said to me what do u need it for . i told him and hes said to me what beeeep!!! you cant do that it wont work besides you dont have training to be using a pro saw like that what are ya 15 . well i was 16 but ya . this guys an ass. after that i got pissed so i started swearing and #### at him . the guy got all pissed and want to call the cops on me lol . he thinks hes a no it all never likes being wrong i guess . well i was walking out i said to the guy this might be why you dont have enough money to fix the 15 million holes in your roof . (he has buckets everywhere and junk every where ). so i went to my other local dealer. i seen him alot and we started talking and he offered me part time job working there with him when im not in the field droping trees . the guys just awesome like a 2nd dad to me he thinks im like one of the best kids ever and we learn for each other . he tells me everyday he cant believe im only 17 and can do what i can do .

It's just the way of the world...

Here...I have 3 major Stihl dealers...#1 has the city maintenance..both #2 and #3 not municipality connected.

I can get parts pronto-quick at no extra charge from #1 - and I mean anything I want in two days..!!...but you're page 2
(personnel I've dealt with are cool...I'm just pissed at the owner that sold me a 'NEW' saw...and when I was
checking the air filter and checking plug gap...it was an AUTOLITE Plug...that was waay back when I didn't
know THAT ALL stihls come with a Bosch plug...soo...I reckon I bought a used saw at NEW saw price..:msp_unsure:

#2 are egotistical bastards and don't listen to to what you want...and know they're getting customers not liking #1

#3 is smaller (his brother has #2) and these guys just do everything right - unfortunately it's a 40 mile round trip drive.

Soo...many problems...just have to make adjustment - like if I want files..go to #1 - if I want a big buy..go to #3
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
My only beef with my local dealer is he's closed on Saturdays of long weekends. Man what a nerve:hmm3grin2orange: Needed bar oil this morning and I had to go to crappy tire, man I hate that.

My only beef with my local dealer is he's closed on Saturdays of long weekends. Man what a nerve:hmm3grin2orange: Needed bar oil this morning and I had to go to crappy tire, man I hate that.
Oh..break my heart..!!..:msp_tongue:.just messin' with ya in the middle of the night..work to do..trying to stay awake.

Ole Man talk..."always have a spare back-up" and make sure that they will interchange..!!

For instance one of my vehicles has post mount battery connection...another has side mount battery connection.

Soo I find a battery with both..only one auto store that has them..one not considerable..other..expensive.

Much better warranty period on expensive battery (about $35 more) so really a no brainer..if it's what you want.
- - - - - - -
I fully realize you were just joking...if for some reason you were serious...keep at least a quart on hand for emergency
J2F

Oh..break my heart..!!..:msp_tongue:.just messin' with ya in the middle of the night..work to do..trying to stay awake.

Ole Man talk..."always have a spare back-up" and make sure that they will interchange..!!

For instance one of my vehicles has post mount battery connection...another has side mount battery connection.

Soo I find a battery with both..only one auto store that has them..one not considerable..other..expensive.

Much better warranty period on expensive battery (about $35 more) so really a no brainer..if it's what you want.
- - - - - - -
I fully realize you were just joking...if for some reason you were serious...keep at least a quart on hand for emergency
J2F

Definitely joking around, I have nothing but good things to say about the guys I deal with.

My local Husky/Stihl dealer (20 miles round trip) was a joke I stock more Husky parts than them. Every time I called them they never had it. Never bothered to say I'll be glad to order it for you. Needless to say with crappy service like that they are no longer in business. My other Husky/Stihl dealer ( 75 mi. round trip) is outstanding. Only neg. is they are closed on Saturday.
Shep

My local dealer is three miles from my house. He wanted 40% more for a 361 coil. There are three dealers in town so I ordered it from the one that's 8 miles from my house. And there is another great dealer that's like six miles from my work. So its not like the guy with the 40% markup has a monopoly. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars with him.:msp_scared:

My local dealer is 100 miles away
Last time i went in i wanted a fuel line for a 026.Probley one of the most popular models after the 029.At least in numbers sold.
I figered that should be an item in stock,no luck.But they would be happy to order it,then i could drive the 100 miles to go get it.
Screw that if it has to be ordered i may as well order it and have it delivered to my mail box,then it's only a 1/2 mile drive.
Thomas

My local dealer is three miles from my house. He wanted 40% more for a 361 coil. There are three dealers in town so I ordered it from the one that's 8 miles from my house. And there is another great dealer that's like six miles from my work. So its not like the guy with the 40% markup has a monopoly. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars with him.:msp_scared:
If I was the dealer and you had indeed spent "tens of thousands of $$"

I would give you the coil for FREE or at least at cost..!! - If you're that BIG a customer..I'd even install for FREE..!!

I just don't understand what's with some Stihl dealers..no business sense..

You spend BIG $$...give something in return..!!
J2F

Last edited:
My only issue with my local dedicated STIHL dealer, is that he closes at 1200 noon on Saturdays. Not sure what his logic is, but one might think that since many customers only have Sat. and Sun. off, he'd be open longer to accommodate them.

If nothing else, just close the repair dept. and keep one or two people available to sell merchandise and prep equip. that sells.

Stihl for life, you rock! 17 years old and cutting wood and working on saws for a living. Don't ever let anyone treat you like a kid just because of your age. You're more of a man than that guy was. When I was 17 I had bought my little Poulan 2050 as a graduation present for myself and was learning to work on small engines. I still have that little saw, the best one I have ever owned, and I'm still obsessed with small engines.

My only issue with my local dedicated STIHL dealer, is that he closes at 1200 noon on Saturdays. Not sure what his logic is, but one might think that since many customers only have Sat. and Sun. off, he'd be open longer to accommodate them.

If nothing else, just close the repair dept. and keep one or two people available to sell merchandise and prep equip. that sells.
+1...Same here....8-12 on Saturday...like throwing profits down the drain..and an inconvenience to folks that do most

of their outdoor work on Saturday...need a part after noon..you're screwed..!!- Just sucks on both sides of the coin..!!
J2F

Most dealers round here will treat you like sh't unless you plan on dropping major coin on a new saw or zero turn...
They hate when I come in needing a seal or something minor... before Mediacat, they'd have to look up the part number, and of course they'd have to order it. At least now I can just call with a part number.

I do saw repair on the side. I hear it all the time from my customers... the dealers treat me like a piece of crap.

Last edited:
If I was the dealer and you had indeed spent "tens of thousands of $$"

I would give you the coil for FREE or at least at cost..!! - If you're that BIG a customer..I'd even install for FREE..!!

I just don't understand what's with some Stihl dealers..no business sense..

You spend BIG $$...give something in return..!!
J2F

Let's see I bought a lawn tractor. An066 046 361 460 660 fs85 and fs90 a push mower. And a new 33 HP compact tractor with loader finish mower rototiller 3pt winch and York rake. yep...an I am sure of the price. Because the two other dealers I called had the same price to the penny.
Yup no business sense. Must think I am slow....

Stihl for life, you rock! 17 years old and cutting wood and working on saws for a living. Don't ever let anyone treat you like a kid just because of your age. You're more of a man than that guy was. When I was 17 I had bought my little Poulan 2050 as a graduation present for myself and was learning to work on small engines. I still have that little saw, the best one I have ever owned, and I'm still obsessed with small engines.

thanks man just somthing i love to do it dose help that my dad owns a logging company . haha nice my first saw was a ms341 when i was 10. i used it to help cut firewood with my dad and he thought me how to drop trees . then when i was 14 he gave me a 440 for xmass and ive been logging with him since then lol . love it now i have way to many saws now i cant keep track . everyone noes me at the shop and i love talking to other logger coming in and just homeowners . im always glad to help and love there smile on there face talking to me .

My local dealer is 100 miles away
Last time i went in i wanted a fuel line for a 026.Probley one of the most popular models after the 029.At least in numbers sold.
I figered that should be an item in stock,no luck.But they would be happy to order it,then i could drive the 100 miles to go get it.
Screw that if it has to be ordered i may as well order it and have it delivered to my mail box,then it's only a 1/2 mile drive.
Thomas

Im pretty sure Id call somewhere before Id drive a hundred miles for anything no matter how common it is.

Im pretty sure Id call somewhere before Id drive a hundred miles for anything no matter how common it is.
When we drive to town,the one 100 miles away it is never for just one part.
We havn't had a grocery store here for about 2 1/2 yrs so any trip to town comes with a long list.We have also been building our house for a couple of yrs so there is always the house list too.Then the stuff we need for our business.......
So needless to say we try to get our moneys worth out of our gas which is $1.409 a liter
Thomas

Well, since the nearest dealers are Service Saw and Madsen's, my saws are in a pretty good place. The bad thing is that both are about 60 miles away.

There used to be a shop 15 miles down the road, but he was cranky, had unreliable hours, and seemed to hate to be interrupted from his conversations about sports or whatever. He went out of business. Wonder why.

Latest posts

Back