Dealers beware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Been talk about EPA cracking down come 2010 on the dealers who alter equipment resulting in more emissions. Most all Stihl dealers have been notified of whats coming in 2010. Those that haven't or don't beleive it have a look see at what the EPA has been doing to the manufacturers in the past couple of years. I don't think most dealers could afford these types of fnes.

MTD and Jenn Feng Clean Air Act Settlement
(Washington, D.C. – April 24, 2008) A Taiwanese manufacturer and three American corporations will pay a $2 million civil penalty for allegedly importing and distributing approximately 200,000 chainsaws in the U.S. that failed to meet federal air pollution standards, the Justice Department and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced today. The companies also agreed to spend approximately $5 million on projects to reduce air pollution.

The settlement resolves alleged violations of the Clean Air Act by MTD Southwest of Tucson, Ariz., its parent company, MTD Products of Cleveland, Ohio, Jenn Feng Industrial Company of Taiwan, and its subsidiary, McCulloch Corp. of Santa Fe Springs, Calif. Jenn Feng manufactured the engines for sale in the U.S. and McCulloch obtained certificates of conformity from EPA for the engines. MTD Products/MTD Southwest purchased the engines from Jenn Feng and imported and distributed the engines to the U.S.

“EPA will continue to enforce the Clean Air Act and stop illegal imports,” said Granta Y. Nakayama, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “Reliable and effective pollution control systems are essential to protect human health and the environment from harmful emissions from non-road engines.”

In addition to today’s settlement, EPA has imposed nearly $2.4 million in fines during the past 18 months between June 2006 and December 2007 against more than 58 importers for engines that failed to have required certification or emission controls. Without the proper controls, engines can emit 30 percent more pollution than allowable under EPA standards.

HUSQVARNA OUTDOOR PRODUCTS AND SEARS SETTLES WITH ARB FOR $281,600

In March 2005, the ARB was contacted by a California citizen that had purchased a Husqvarna Outdoor Products (HOP), trimmer from Sears that was labeled "Not for sale in California" on the exterior box. That tip caused further investigation by ARB and it was determined that 49-State, EPA-certified, and EPA-labeled engines used to power Craftsman Wheeled Weed Trimmers were offered for sale and sold in California at Sears stores. The engines on these trimmers had an additional separate label indicating in red letters, "Not for sale in California."

HOP and Sears fully cooperated with ARB and together submitted documentation indicating there had been 2,816 of these mislabeled units sold in California. ARB determined that offering for sale and selling the 49-State, EPA-labeled units in California was unlawful and in violation of the California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Section 2404. By selling the mislabeled products in California, HOP did not comply with the requirements of Health and Safety Code Section 43212.

In this case, HOP did not notify Sears in advance that the 2816 engines/trimmer contained a 49-state EPA label, instead of an ARB emission label. Because Sears did not receive notice that would have enabled them to develop and implement plans to segregate the 49-State, EPA-labeled engines/trimmers from the ARB-labeled engines/trimmers, HOP assumed 100% of the responsibility. HOP paid a penalty in the amount of $281,600 to the California Air Pollution Control Fund in settlement of this case. This case was settled in July 2006.

Come 2010 dealers will be held to the same standards concerning emissions. Dealers are the last piece of the puzzle of when the EPA can say the war on emissions has been won, by them of course, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Just got back from the pnw gtg. Im sure it will be at work tommorrow. Doesn't 2k remind you of dorian. LOL

Most dealers and modders will take the stance it won't/can't happen to me and not take it that seriously, until it hits close to home or bites them in the azz.

The same thing happened around here when warnings went out about checking farm pickups for running "off road" or ruby red diesel fuel. One of the largest farmers got checked and he didn't have the clear or taxed fuel in the tank on his pickup, they then checked all his vehicles and they all had "illegal fuel".
It cost him a fortune in fines and he could not maintain farm storage fuel barrels on his farm for a period of two years, it seems like the total in fines was around 35 thousand.

People have gotten serious about now.

Most dealers and modders will take the stance it won't/can't happen to me and not take it that seriously, until it hits close to home or bites them in the azz.

The same thing happened around here when warnings went out about checking farm pickups for running "off road" or ruby red diesel fuel. One of the largest farmers got checked and he didn't have the clear or taxed fuel in the tank on his pickup, they then checked all his vehicles and they all had "illegal fuel".
It cost him a fortune in fines and he could not maintain farm storage fuel barrels on his farm for a period of two years, it seems like the total in fines was around 35 thousand.

Well I don't know how EPA will work with them but we've been told they will be out to nail as many dealers as they can. We were told the EPA guys would be bringing saws in the shops for muffler mods and such. They would be just like the state police slipping cars in on inspection stations hoping to see volations. If they pull one over on us and we do it not knowing who we are dealing with chances are good the fine would be stiff enuff to shut down a small shop. All I know is Stihl has been hammering home to all the dealers don't alter any equipment and beware bigtime come 2010. Those fines above are stiff enough to make me say no way to anyone, man thats a bunch of money, yikes. EPA is not to be messed with no matter how much we hate them, we cannot win..

I'm not going to get too political about this, but as long as NASCAR is legal and entire sports teams are jet-setting dozens of times a year to get to their games, and big fatcat CEOs are flying hitherto for pointless board meetings, I don't give :censored: all about whatever miniscule pollution my saws and other small engines produce.

The EPA and other North American organizations of similar type have completely dropped the ball on pollution control. Trying to limit pollution by limiting exhaust emissions is not ever going to work. Any methods to decrease harmful exhaust gas emissions will be ineffective in the long run, as it only renders the engine less efficient. This works out great for the oil companies - our engines use just as much of their product as ever, meanwhile being less powerful and wearing out faster. On the other hand, focusing on overall fuel efficiency and measuring the input of an engine is a much more practical method. It's worked out great for the European and Asian auto industries, whose vehicles boast sometimes incredible fuel efficiency vs. performance numbers - at the same time, our auto makers have been forced to choke their engines down with crap like catalytic converters, which have allowed us to hit the same emissions standards while burning up to 25-50% more fuel to do the same job. My brother stripped the exhaust out of his '95 Dodge Cummins, put a bigger pipe on it right from the manifold, and had some work done to the ECU computer. He gained the better part of 100hp AND it's better on fuel, all for a few hundred bucks' work. So why can some average mechanic in a small-town garage achieve this, but not a massive automaker?

To bring it back to saws though, I'd really love to see a head-to-head comparison of fuel efficiency of a well-ported and tuned custom saw vs. a stock, choked-down EPA version. I would have a test to see how many successive cuts a saw could cut in, say, a 12X12 beam, on one tank of fuel. This could show whether the opened-up technically-less-efficient saw was actually more efficient in terms of the actual work that could be done in less time. I realize that heavily modified / racing saws are obviously going too far here, but I have a feeling that a well-ported (or even just muffler modded) work saw that might cut anywhere from 20-50% faster than stock should be able to out-work a stock saw on a given amount of fuel.

Forget to mention. We had man here not too long ago get caught using off road diesel in his truck. In fact he's a good friend of mine. Does alot of custom farming around here, bushhogging, making hay, building fences and most anything farm related. He told me they had him on the scales weighing his truck loaded with hay and out the blue he said they pulled his fuel cap and boom, $10,000 fine. He said no more off road in his truck, he learned his lesson the hard way, ouch..

Forget to mention. We had man here not too long ago get caught using off road diesel in his truck. In fact he's a good friend of mine. Does alot of custom farming around here, bushhogging, making hay, building fences and most anything farm related. He told me they had him on the scales weighing his truck loaded with hay and out the blue he said they pulled his fuel cap and boom, $10,000 fine. He said no more off road in his truck, he learned his lesson the hard way, ouch..

Locking fuel caps.........

The EPA sucks. They have way, way too much power. Where does the money from these fines go to anyways?

I agree but whatcha gonna do? I got no idea where all that money goes but they sure aren't tossing out penny fines, dayummm they are hitting the wallet bigtime hard..

Horsecrap. As if we don't have more important things to waste our tax dollars on.

Wanna cut back on pollution? Smog check all the cars at the welfare office and the You Buy We Fry fish joint, and you'll save the world a whole lot of pollution. Leave the OPE the hell alone.

I'm not going to get too political about this, but as long as NASCAR is legal and entire sports teams are jet-setting dozens of times a year to get to their games, and big fatcat CEOs are flying hitherto for pointless board meetings, I don't give :censored: all about whatever miniscule pollution my saws and other small engines produce.

The EPA and other North American organizations of similar type have completely dropped the ball on pollution control. Trying to limit pollution by limiting exhaust emissions is not ever going to work. Any methods to decrease harmful exhaust gas emissions will be ineffective in the long run, as it only renders the engine less efficient. This works out great for the oil companies - our engines use just as much of their product as ever, meanwhile being less powerful and wearing out faster. On the other hand, focusing on overall fuel efficiency and measuring the input of an engine is a much more practical method. It's worked out great for the European and Asian auto industries, whose vehicles boast sometimes incredible fuel efficiency vs. performance numbers - at the same time, our auto makers have been forced to choke their engines down with crap like catalytic converters, which have allowed us to hit the same emissions standards while burning up to 25-50% more fuel to do the same job. My brother stripped the exhaust out of his '95 Dodge Cummins, put a bigger pipe on it right from the manifold, and had some work done to the ECU computer. He gained the better part of 100hp AND it's better on fuel, all for a few hundred bucks' work. So why can some average mechanic in a small-town garage achieve this, but not a massive automaker?

To bring it back to saws though, I'd really love to see a head-to-head comparison of fuel efficiency of a well-ported and tuned custom saw vs. a stock, choked-down EPA version. I would have a test to see how many successive cuts a saw could cut in, say, a 12X12 beam, on one tank of fuel. This could show whether the opened-up technically-less-efficient saw was actually more efficient in terms of the actual work that could be done in less time. I realize that heavily modified / racing saws are obviously going too far here, but I have a feeling that a well-ported (or even just muffler modded) work saw that might cut anywhere from 20-50% faster than stock should be able to out-work a stock saw on a given amount of fuel.

I agree with ya. The problem with the saws is Stihl, Husky and all the major manufacturers have shown the EPA they can reduce emissions in small handheld power equipment. They have done it too without really losing any power, in fact same power and maybe a tad more on less fuel. That done EPA knows now they got em now, it can be done. Its been 20 years in the making. They got the makers where they want them and now the dealers will do it as well. We aren't gonna win so for now its best we just abide by the rules, its too costly not to. If a man walked in the shop door and offered me 100.00 to drill a hole in his muffler I would not do it, tant no way.

Horsecrap. As if we don't have more important things to waste our tax dollars on.

Wanna cut back on pollution? Smog check all the cars at the welfare office and the You Buy We Fry fish joint, and you'll save the world a whole lot of pollution. Leave the OPE the hell alone.

I'm with ya but sadly its not gonna happen. They have been on OPE for 20 yrs. They finally got them right where they want them, sad but true..

Sounds like it is time to pull out the 056 and fire it up........keeps the biting flies away, I'm told.

Haha, good one. Ya know Stihl has been telling us for the last 3 or 4 years whats coming. I stocked up on alot of good models so I'm set for life. I got around 45-50 good ones so I won't need anymore saws. EPA can't do much with me at home. I do realize though they can really put a hurting on me at the shop so I'm just gonna do as I was told and not worry about them,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Latest posts

Back