Dec 2003 TCI Mag: Likin' Lichens!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got this recent issue, which had less arb content than the last. I liked Shigo's article on lichens; I always tell clients they are not parasitic but mutualistic or even symbiotic, as they may be able to transfer photosynthate to trees. I don't understand a few of his points:

1. If "There are no data that shows (sic) lichens cause tree or rock diseases", then how is it that "Lichens also produce acids and other chemicals that break down rocks and other materials" (including wood?) Their interaction with trees is poorly understood but since they're green plants that have been around a long time I think the odds are they do much more good than potential harm.

2. Can anyone make sense of the second photo? The branch piece on the left has stereum fungus, but the one on the right has green stuff that clearly looks like lichen to me. Is stereum the mycobiont? Can algae just float around and latch onto fungus, creating a lichen? Hard to say; a caption would've helped.

3. "Whether the (long beard-moss) lichens help...or limit photosynthsis, nobody knows." Sure we do! Anything that shades a leaf inhibits photosynthesis. That's not to say all growth that competes for sunlight should be stripped, but if you don't want bare middles in your trees you need to thin the outsides.

Three letters came in in response to the dropcrotching article in the last ish. The first I think speaks for itself :D , while the second contains a very typical reaction from the diehard academic point of view. Saying that scientists should know better than practitioners is just one example of the writer's ivory-tower arrogance. Demanding research data to support every recommendation limits us to drawing from a small pool of learning.

There is good science that is based on observation and measuring alone that can be the basis for the art of tree care.
More rigorous experimentation would be great to do, but in the meantime we can work based on our understanding of the available science, in areas where research has not yet been able to explore.

The third letter echoes Turnbull's assertion that any tree with a "compromised" future should be removed. What tree's future isn't compromised, by epidemics, insects, or the worsening air and glare and soil and everything else humans are messing up? Once an arborist adopts the philosophy of preventive removal, where does it stop?

30+ years ago I was a utility climber, with a can of paint on my hip and the foreman filling my ears with "when in doubt, cut it out". It's 2004 now, so it's really disturbing to hear alleged advocates of trees say they should be cut down if they are "compromised".

Finally, I don't know why the author didn't respond to the critiques to her article. In most magazines, authors are given that chance.

Interesting topic. Regarding the plant/lichen relationship, I have not really studied it, but rather have given it some observation.

The line of parasitism may be crossed (though I would think rarely) by certain lichen when the fungal component gets through the bark and cork and gets into the cambium.

I have noticed in urban and suburban areas that lichen can appear on declining/dying trees (even given the air quality bioindicator function of lichen), and rarely if ever appear anywhere else in the area.

There have been forest studies which show that increased forest dieback=increased epiphytes.

I don't think the lichen/plant relationship is always benign, nor is it always malignant. I removed a dead European beech which was covered with foliose lichen, and no adjacent healthy beech had any lichen on it. Which came first, the decline or the lichen? I have been in coastal rainforests where lichen is on nearly everything . Would it benefit an organism dependent upon having live trees to provide it with a living surface to kill the same trees? Or possibly that organism would not 'need' to be so selective in its careful treatment of the trees if it could simply find another surface to live upon, inert or living.

About "compromised futures", I think every living thing suffers that fate. Only some come earlier, and some are just more compromised than others. ;)

But using that criteria as a blanket policy does seem to verge on an Orwellian theme.
Or would that be tree eugenics?

Originally posted by Sylvatica
I have noticed in urban and suburban areas that lichen can appear on declining/dying trees (even given the air quality bioindicator function of lichen), and rarely if ever appear anywhere else in the area.
I've noticed it too, but not enough to show any pattern. Puzzling.

There have been forest studies which show that increased forest dieback=increased epiphytes.
Do you recall where?

About "compromised futures", I think every living thing suffers that fate. ..Or would that be tree eugenics?
More like an arbitrary tree euthenasia. If the Tree Death with Dignity crowd is right, then Dr. Kevorkian is the arborist's role model. I'd prefer another approach; that guy gives me the creeps.

Are we tree surgeons or tree morticians?

FYI:

I found this article in the book:

Diseases of Trees and Shrubs,
by SINCLAIR,LYON,AND JOHNSON PAGE 506

Inexperenced observers often wonder wether Lichens growing profusely on dead trees are pathogenic. One researcher studied a species of Usnea on bark of living trees and observed fungal hyphae,which he presumed to be those of mycobiont,beneath the cork cambium. On this basis primarily he concluded that the lichen was parasitic.Plant parasitism,however,is not amoung the lichen attributes discussed by contemporary authorities. Except for the lichenized forms (strigula species) of plant parasitic alge (Cephaleuros species, no claim of plant pathogenicity has been well supported. Many lichens grow rapidly when exposed to light,which seems to explain their profussion on dead trees.

I found this article in:
ORTHO'S HOME GARDENER'S PROBLEM SOLVER

Alge,lichens,and mosses are sometimes mistaken for plant diseases,especially if the tree they are attached to appears unhealthy.They do not harm the plant,however. Most alge grow where moisture is abundant,on the lower,shadedside of the trunk.They appear only as a green color that is not very noticeable on the bark.Lichens are a combination of green algae and fungi. They range in color from brown to green and appear crusty or leaflike. They are sensitive to air pollution and are found only in areas where the air is clean.True mosses are small greenplants growing in a mat and having tiny leaves and stems.They are abundant in moist areas and are much more apparant than algae.Spanish moss is a flowering plant (in the pineapple family) that is very noticible hanging from southern trees.

Solution:
Algae,lichens,and mosses do not harm the plant,but may be unsightly.Control them by pruning away surrounding vegatation to increase the amount of light and air flow,which will reduce the moisture in the soil and air around the plant and discourage their growth.

Thanks for posting the Sinclair reference; as usual I agree with them. It's not a recent reference but still solid. I googled Cephaleuros and saw it's all south of here so I think it's safe to say no lichen in the US has been found to be parasitic.

I disagree with the solution proposed by the Ortho folks, as I often do. It directly contradicts Sinclair's note that lichens grow in more sun, by recommending pruning to increase sun. I think lichens as a group are not all that moisture-dependent; I see them on exposed limbs on xeric sites.

So Norm (did you get my email?), in the midst of all the tree mortician work after Isabel, was there any tree surgery going on? Salvaging after storms is not as easy to sell, but many tree owners are calling a year after our ice storm to see if their trees can be made resistant to the next one. See you feb 12 at Ginter?

Just from my experiance/observation, I've come to feel that lichens can become parsitic on stressed/declining trees. Like the beech example above I've seen many similar scenarios where it be girdling root on a Norway maple or scab on a crab apple.

Healthy plants near by had no large populations of lichen, but the stressd plants were covered.

My conclusion is that healthy trees can tolerate and limit lichen populations. On unhealthy trees they can excellerate the decline.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
My conclusion is that healthy trees can tolerate and limit lichen populations. On unhealthy trees they can excellerate the decline.
jps I wonder if that conclusion is based on enough evidence. If fungal hyphae invade cambium, I think someone would have found it by now. I can't say you're wrong, but I think they're just hanging out.
Then again, if there is a pathway for the lichen to add photosynthate, that same pathway could be used to extract from a dying tree. What triggers the change, if there is one? Like Hypoxylon going from just hanging out to digesting its host, it's a mystery to me.

Any other theories/links to science on this?

Guy I didn't receive your email.
I assume you are talking about the tree care symposium at ginter.
Yes I should be there.

Next week I will be at the Maryland Arborist Association Winter Seminar.

I also foud the Ortho opinion contridictive ,but did not wish to alter the source.:)

Originally posted by coffeecraver
Guy I didn't receive your email.
Check your "private messages"
I assume you are talking about the tree care symposium at ginter. Yes I should be there.
Did you go last year? Do you remember the talks on ISA BMP's and hazard assessment? There'll be something new this year;)
I also foud the Ortho opinion contridictive ,but did not wish to alter the source.:)
Glad you didn't. I find many Ortho recommendations (spray our stuff on it, cut branches to slow lichens) less than useful. But the pictures are nice:rolleyes:
Sinclair was first off your shelf which is the way to do it imnsho.

There is a Tree service a couple of blocks away from me.
The owner of the service and the residential lot,(same)
cut all the branches off three trees about 40' up.they stand at 60'tall or better

I know he has exposed them to the stresses of sun and wind
by removing all those scaffold branches. I believe they are red oaks ,I have not been that close to them ,but they are close to the road. I took pictures of them and if i can find them i'll post them. I was shocked that for no apparant reason they would remove all those branches. That is why i took the photos. That was May of last year.

On Friday I drove past the house and noticed that they have
been heavily covered with Lichens. All year they didn't have them.
The sunshine theory about Lichens , or the stressed tree could be the reason. Any Thoughts?

I am going to take pictures of them with the Lichens.
Im not sure what will be the turnout but im keeping an eye on them.

:) :confused: :confused:

Here in Manitoba, outdoor enthusiasts and boyscouts are taught early that if they are ever lost to locate the nearest bur oak (Quercus marcocarpa). The presence of lichens is always on the north side of the trunk; never facing the prevailing path of the sun (east, south, and west). Finding the presence of such lichens enables people to create a bearing, which would allow them to walk in a constant direction, instead of in circles.

Therefore, I question the theory that lichens thrive in high sunlight areas?

I have attached two pictures illustrating the situation that I just explained. The right picture shows a Q. marcocarpa that has lichen growth on the north side............notice the shadows and how the sunlight is to the south. The picture on the left is another Q. marcocarpa showing the south side of the tree. Ignoring the wire that has been encompassed by the tree, you will notice that there is little to no lichens present.

Out of curiosity does this senario stand true in the southern regions of the continent?

That extremely questionable and over simplified orienteering wives' tale probably originated with the assumption that mosses (not lichens) always grow at a trees base (at or below the flare, not up the trunk or branches) on the north side. Even that theory would apply to only shade-loving mosses.

Carrying this mythology over into the location of lichens would result in many lost, confused boy scouts and woods walkers. ;)

Sylvatica we all know that the moss thing is a tale, but do you know for a fact that that type of lichen is not shade-loving?

Some old wives ain't crazy.

Back