To Dropcrotch or Not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Three letters came in in response to the dropcrotching article in the last ish. The first I think speaks for itself :) , while the second contains a very typical reaction from the diehard academic point of view. Saying that scientists should know better than practitioners is just one example of the writer's ivory-tower arrogance. Demanding research data to support every recommendation limits us to drawing from a small pool of learning.

There is good science that is based on observation and measuring alone that can be the basis for the art of tree care.
More rigorous experimentation would be great to do, but in the meantime we can work based on our understanding of the available science, in areas where research has not yet been able to explore.

The third letter echoes Turnbull's assertion that any tree with a "compromised" future should be removed. What tree's future isn't compromised, by epidemics, insects, or the worsening air and glare and soil and everything else humans are messing up? Once an arborist adopts the philosophy of preventive removal, where does it stop?

30+ years ago I was a utility climber, with a can of paint on my hip and the foreman filling my ears with "when in doubt, cut it out". It's 2004 now, so it's really disturbing to hear alleged advocates of trees say the same thing. that they should be cut down if they are "compromised".

Don Blair maintains that, "The only safe tree is a stump." True, except I said that to a client who wanted to make sure their tree was "safe". He chuckled and said that even stumps aren't safe. He was chopping out a stump and the ax went into his knee.

Resaerch to the nth degree has a place. But field experience with an objective eye has value too. Empirical observation is valid. Anyone who has watched topped trees, storm damaged trees or trees damaged from construction go through their recovery has a good idea of what a tree can tolerate. That sure doesn't give
us free-rein to cut away as much in the normal course of pruning.

Our language can be used to get messages across as opinions and not absolute facts. The challenge to writers is to present observations and understandings as such and not make it seem like what is being shared is the absolute way things are. Instead of saying "This leads to that" the writer can say, "i've observed this leading to that so it seems like..." Changing the semantics and syntax makes the pill easier to swallow.

Tom

I read the article, and while I think it has its truths, tree care is also an "art"... and like any art, alot is subjective to the artists eye.

Back