Decided it was time to add chickens to our clan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
Been wanting them for a while and finally decided to jump in :D

DSC08146Medium.jpg

DSC08175Medium.jpg

DSC08184Medium.jpg

DSC08191Medium.jpg

DSC08217Medium.jpg

DSC08219Medium.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome! how does the cat interact with em'?

So far, they're (two cats) cautiously interested. Been keeping them separate for the most part, but one cat hid under the bed in the chicken room without us knowing and was accidentally locked in there for an hour or so without doing anything. Soon enough though, I have a feeling the birds will be big enough to kick the crap out of the cats :laugh:

The cats are indoor though, so once the birds move outside it will be a moot concern. The dogs are great with them thus far and will eventually be helping to protect them since we'll be free ranging throughout the day.

Good post, they'll be laying before you know it. We've had chickens for a long time, the eggs just taste better, plus you know what they are eating.
Right now we're getting around 12-13 eggs a day out of 16 hens. We just gave one of our rooster's away yesterday as he was man mean, he'd flog the heck out of you, the boys have hit him so hard with a stick it literally knocked him out, they thought they had killed him, no such luck.
Mentioned it to a neighbor who logs, he said "bring him up I've got the cure", I imagine he was with dumplings on the dinner plate today.lol

We free range chickies too...

just keep an eye out for hawks, skunks, fox, weasels, and such. I now have almost 20 leg traps around the place.....the critters have learned to keep away now. The geese also help keep critters out....If you thought that rooster was bad, try catching a ticked off goose.....they have two baseball bats some call wings. Their elbows are solid bone!!!

Cant go wrong with home raised chickens!!

New batch-
DSCN0167.JPG

New tame stock born from the New batch-
100_1732.JPG

Besides the good eggs daily.... yummm.. the meat
We had a badger come through and wiped out almost every chicken we had in the summer of 2006 except 3 of them. Since then we keep the storage shed all nice and tidy, nothing on the dirt ground. Everything is on shelves to keep the varmints from diggin and makin wholes. That and going out at night and looking for refelctive eyes up in the trees and start shootin. We got 2 outside cats that will actually sit right next to them chickens waiting to be petted

Finger licking good once they stop laying :D

Winter time they will only lay 1 egg every couple of days if that..dont take that as "they stopped laying so eat em". I did here of someone doing this to 15 of there chickens and litterly thought he got all duds or something...

What kinda chickens are they? I used to have some Rhode Island Reds that were tame pets. Thinking about getting some different pet breeds. I'd love to have Foghorn :)

Foghorn_Leghorn.png

We have about 60-70 birds right now, if your wife really enjoys it look out, you'll be building coops and feeders and brooder box's, nesting box's and all kinds of crap, it's a never ending deal with them things. Then it'll be driving to 4 hours away to get some special breed she was wanting.:)

My uncle just sent me this from Florida, two roosters fighting over a chicken. When these things wanna get laid man, watch out!

cockfight.jpg

4breeds.jpg

Heres just a few of ours. this is a Barred Rock an Americauna, silver laced wyandotte and A golden comet I belive lol

Latest posts

Back