Decomp on Husky 2100CD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpapier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it feasible to drill and tap for a decompression valve on this saw? I can drop start it just fine, but stationary on the ground I don't have enough oomph to get it started.

Perhaps it is possible. However, I'm no Hercules either but, I have no trouble starting either of the 2100s I have the way they are set up from the factory. Maybe yours is out of time or hard to start for some other such reason. No offense intended, too much saw for you?

It's pushing 165 lbs compression and I want to use it in an Alaskan mill without popping my shoulder out. Now anyone ever install a valve on one of these saws? My Stihl 050 has one and its older then a Husky 2100.

Yeah I agree there pretty easy to pull for there size. I have a bad back from an oak widow maker and i can pull it without worrying about throwing out my back. I wouldn't chance messin up such an awesome saw. If you don't like drop starting try puttin the tip on a piece of wood and half dropping it. Best of luck

I'd never even try a drop start on this saw. (I don't ever drop start anything) I can start my 2100 with a leg lock when its warm but after a dozen starts it'll leave a bruise. I start mine on the ground and actually find that pretty easy. I can start mine on the mill in a cut if I have to but its not so easy.

Just in case you're not doing it already, be sure to pull the engine over slowly until you feel the piston coming up on compression - then let the cord wind back in and give it a good strong pull. Every time you crank the saw find the compression first, then pull. That is how to do it.

I do understand wanting a compression release -- I gravitate to my newer saws that do have releases for the ease of starting.

Latest posts

Back