Decomp Valves...Do they help you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just finished my first year cutting firewood with my recently-purchased MS460. Great saw...but definitely tired me faster than my Jonny 2050. One thing I did not expect was how easy it is to start the 460. It is as easy to pull without the decomp as the 2050. Do you guys use the decomp valve in your bigger saws, and is the comparable pulling effort (as compared to the 2050) because of the elasto-start cord?

litefoot said:
I just finished my first year cutting firewood with my recently-purchased MS460. Great saw...but definitely tired me faster than my Jonny 2050. One thing I did not expect was how easy it is to start the 460. It is as easy to pull without the decomp as the 2050. Do you guys use the decomp valve in your bigger saws, and is the comparable pulling effort (as compared to the 2050) because of the elasto-start cord?

I use em' every time I start my saws. Why wouldn't I, effortless. Saws are Husky 372's and 575.

I use them everytime they are available. Even an 026 Pro, which doesn't need one on the ground, is a joy to start up a tree with just a few inches of effortless pull.

I get to start a LOT of saws a day... and I get bit by some nasty old 064/066 that has no decomp valve now and then. Only takes one snap of the recoil to ruin your day. Funny how it almost always happens early in the morning when my fingers are cold!

..also... the Elaststart just takes some of the shock out of the recoil. Nice, and I put them on all my saws. Stihl doen't supply Elastostart as standard on the 361 or 026-pro as they have decomp, but I put them on anyhow. Many sizes available so they should fit pretty much any manf. saws. Once you'e bought the handle/cord, the replacement ropes are only a buck or two, but you won't need many as they don't wear like a standard non-shock absorbing system.

I usually find my self not using it on my 046 because as you said. It just dosen't make much of a difference. With button out 90lbs first pull. With button in 60lbs first pull. 150lbs total. On my 046. I think it has alot to do with the elasto start handle. If it is going to help longevity maybe I will start using it.

Justin Garrison said:
I usually find my self not using it on my 046 because as you said. It just dosen't make much of a difference. With button out 90lbs first pull. With button in 60lbs first pull. 150lbs total. On my 046. I think it has alot to do with the elasto start handle. If it is going to help longevity maybe I will start using it.

Maybe I don't understand what you wrote, but where does the "total" come from?

Those Elastostart handles are great.
I have stress damage on my middle finger. Then I had a 660 kick-back while starting it (wasn't using the decomp button), that combined with starting my MS200T all day put additional stress on me to the point severe pain while starting. I put the Elastostart handle on my 200 and couldn't believe the difference . . . no more pain (plus the handle is wider and softer than the original 200's).

Use decomp buttons and put Elasto handles on all saws.

What are the Stihl dealers getting for the Elasto handles? Need to get a dual port muffler cap for the 044, might as well will pick up an Elasto handle at the same time.

Lakeside53 said:
Maybe I don't understand what you wrote, but where does the "total" come from?

When you test compression you put the gauge on and the first pull shows around 90lbs on most saws. And then you just keep pulling it untill you rech your peak compression which on my 046 is 150lbs. I was just stating that on the first pull like if you were starting it it would be 90lbs of compression witout the decomp. With the decomp pushed in you are pulling about 60lbs. So it decreases the compression by about 30lbs. Those elasto start handles are great. I do not know if I have an elasto start rope?

Decomp

The lack of decomp on the small Stihls is my biggest gripe with them. Decomp is available on much smaller Huskies. It's great for us oldsters.
Wilson

the decompression valve is for the saw not the sawyer. less stress on the softer, lighter parts on the starter side of the saw.
that is one of the five steps i teach in the coarse Woods And Chainsaw Safety. i do get a few that say "me big strong man, me no need valve". after i explain the saw parts will last longer they do not mind using it. marty

My 357 XP Husky has automatic decompression, so I don't really have a choice. ;) It sure is nice; the starter pull is very mild with the decomp activated.

woodsrider said:
My 357 XP Husky has automatic decompression, so I don't really have a choice. ;) It sure is nice; the starter pull is very mild with the decomp activated.

i eliminated that and put a regular decomp button on my 357. :)

16gauge said:
Is the Elastostart rope different as well as the handle. And do they make them for an MS 280?
\

Both the handle and rope are different. Yes, they make a size for the 280; they make it for the small weekeaters right up to the MS880.

Back