Delivery Truck Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of truck hauls 34cords. I use a electric pump on my dump trailer, 6x10, and it will dump a full cord no problem. I have had 5 tons of gravel on the trailer and it was able to hoist it up as well. I worry more about the hoist ripping the bed off the trailer more than it not being able to dump. Hyd presure is hyd pressure whether it comes from a pto drive or electric. The pto might be able to pump a little faster, and a battery for the electric pump might get weak if it isnt being charged fast enough.

I think that 34 is a typo? The link shows a DC pump, but the reservoir is only 1 gallon on it, o.k. for snowplow or small ram, but probably too small for large dump cylinder.

It's hard on the truck and hoist to have that kind of weight up in the air with a gate setup.

If the truck isn't completely level side to side it'd be real easy to flop it too. I'd rather make more trips. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, though I've been around flopped trucks, almost flopped my little truck last year, the top of the box rested against a small tree and stopped it. Was off camber and I had stacked wood under 1 rear set of duals. I pulled a hair too far forward and the wood kicked out.

As for the hoist, my new one is rated to dump 7.5 tons. It uses an electric hoist. It's certainly not the largest the company had either. The power units I think are pretty much the same, just larger cylinders for more weight.
The C70 Chev I had used twin 5" on a Knapheide scissor style hoist and it would dump 6 cords fine.

My dump trailer is home made. I used a electric emergency pump off of a large piece of hyd equipment. Since this type of pump pulls oil from the main hyd reservoir, to build a tank with the needed capacity wasnt an issue. Still the pump is a low flow pump with a huge power draw from the electrical system. While I gave the dump trailer its own battery, I found that if I had to make a lot of lifts in a short period time, that I would run out of battery power. I solved that by installing a quick connect jumper cable setup at the rear of the truck. Similar to what one would use on a electric winch. This way I had the power from trailer battery as well as full power from the truck battery. As long as the truck will run, electrical power became a non-issue. I also have a reese hitch and battery connect for the front of the truck, But have'nt ever tried to push my trailer anywhere. One day I might buy a winch for the truck.

It's hard on the truck and hoist to have that kind of weight up in the air with a gate setup.

If the truck isn't completely level side to side it'd be real easy to flop it too. I'd rather make more trips. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, though I've been around flopped trucks, almost flopped my little truck last year, the top of the box rested against a small tree and stopped it. Was off camber and I had stacked wood under 1 rear set of duals. I pulled a hair too far forward and the wood kicked out.

Good points. I never thought about that, and I've seen a few vids of trucks that tipped with a load that was stuck in the front of the bed.

First thing to check is if a pto, power take off, option is available for your transmission. If it is, than that is an option, but a more expensive one I'm told, because you need a hydraulic pump, tank and controls mounted individually. The electric units are somewhat self contained. Which is better I have know idea, but suspect it has to do with the size of the system. I have a 5500 with a 3126 Cat. When I had the six speed manual trans. replaced, they also did a pto kit install. But that is all there is. No pump or tank. When I called and emailed a shop about installing a new 12' landscape box with removable sides, they suggested to go with an electric hoist because of cost. I have yet to buy one. In my case a dump trailer could be had way cheaper.
(the 5500 has a 9,000 pound payload) Seems like the dump trailers for pickups are electric/hydraulic and they go up to what, 16,000 payload on a 24,000 gvw?

As for the hoist, my new one is rated to dump 7.5 tons. It uses an electric hoist. It's certainly not the largest the company had either. The power units I think are pretty much the same, just larger cylinders for more weight.
The C70 Chev I had used twin 5" on a Knapheide scissor style hoist and it would dump 6 cords fine.

What brand/model hoist are you using? I like the idea of the electric because of the simplicity of it vs the PTO.

Yes 34 cord is a typo lol. Its likely going onto a GMC 6500 or a Ford F750.

What brand/model hoist are you using? I like the idea of the electric because of the simplicity of it vs the PTO.

Yes 34 cord is a typo lol. Its likely going onto a GMC 6500 or a Ford F750.

Outfit out of Texas i found on eBay. Was about $1600 for a kit.
Local place wanted almost $5000!

We use 2 separate 12 volt electric pumps to lift our trailers with houses on them. Houses weigh up to 34,000 lbs and the total trailer weighs 30,000 lbs. We build our own trailers from scratch. Electric will do whatever you want to lift, just need to build it right. Pump is the easy part, hard part is leverage, cylinder size etc. Those jack legs on the front are 2`` rod cylinders, we can lift part of the house, the trailer goose neck and the complete back end of the tractor off the ground to put traction matts under it when we get stuck.
IMG_00001437.jpg

Back