Depressed Chitalpa Tashkendensis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzanne

Reaction score
Hi Tree Experts,

We have a loverly Chitalpa Tashkendensis here in sunny Southern California. It's trying to die, though!

Lives in a raise bed above lawn with begonias and gazanias around it; gets about 10 minutes of sprinkler 5X a week. About half mild shade/half sun depending on time of day. I have also been deep-watering it each weekend with the hose for about 30 minutes.

Bought it in a 48" box ($$$!!! but gorgeous) and it has been happily in the ground for a year. But about three months ago, certain sections of the tips suddenly burned. So, I doused it.

It became happy again, flowered some more, etc. until just this week when it has suddenly shed almost all its leaves and looks fairly pathetic. A week ago it was leafed and lots of pink flowers; today it looks like late spring in Siberia. However, there is new growth and new leaves on the tips of the tree since it shed all its leaves last week.

For now, I am going to stop watering that area at all, since it seems moist although not wet under the mulch. Is there anything else I can do for my beautiful, sad tree?

Thanks much!

(PS- talked to certified Arborist who said 'well... I don't know but I don't have time to look at it.' So I also have a call into the Rancho Santa Ana botanical gardens in our area, apparently they are familiar with these trees... hope they can help with Chitalpa therapy!)

Suzanne said:
talked to certified Arborist who said 'well... I don't know but I don't have time to look at it.'
that wasn't very helpful; at lease a reference would have been kinder. posting pictures here gets results. for now, look at the base of the tree, where the trunk flares out into roots. Can't see it because of the begonias you say, you say?

Therein may lie your problem. See Proper Mulching and New Tree Planting in the link below.

The Chilopsis side of that hybrid is a desert plant. Water much less frequently. Instead of 10 minutes of sprinklers 5X per week try 20 minutes of hose bubbler 1X per week. ( I love Chitalpas by the way)

More Chitalpa

Thanks for both sets of suggestions. I think we're OK on mulch and such... not too much/too deep of an organic bark mix and crown is exposed. Water has been reduced but tree will still get some sprinklering due to auto setup. The gazanias will probably like less water anyway.

Will take some pix for all and sundry to see- maybe that will be helpful. The wacky tree continues to leaf out today at its tips, as if it is springtime. Burned areas remain, so will try for some photos over the weekend, etc.

I did notice some splits on the trunk in the past few months- vertical from near base, about 1-2' long on this 10' or so tall tree. Indicative of ...?

Photos to follow when I get a chance- thanks again for the help.

Photos will help.

Splits may be indicative of rapid growth.-All that water may have led first to rapid growth followed by root suffocation when the wet condition persisted-Soils that are TOO wet prevent gas exchange and thus osmotic water absorption. At that point the plant can "burn" from lack of water while standing in the stuff. Releafing is a good sign but is using stored starch reserves so it is importrant to prevent stress in the next year and give the tree a chance to recover.

Rancho Santa Ana was where I first fell in love with the Chitalpa. Now I have one of my own.

Overall, its been very good. Flowers all summer and great scale and dappled shade for patio/sitting underneath. The one problem that has developed this year is a lot of mid season leaf drop, although it has eased up lately.

My recommendations:
Don't water anything 5 days x 10 minute per week. That only promotes shallow root growth. If its a lawn irrig circuit, go about 30-40 minutes x 3-4 days a week (give enough water for the lawn to be healthy but no more), if its a shrub circuit, go about 20-30 minutes x 2-3 days per week (again, enough for healthy plants, depending on conditions). That will provide a better wet/dry cycle (plants need both, as mentioned by someone else). Chitalpas are half Chilopsis (riparian desert species) and half Catalpa (wet species) and they can take moderate water at least. But almost no plant wants to be too wet.

Next time, buy a 5 gallon tree. Mine went from about 5' to 20' in less than 3 growing seasons. More importantly, they adapt to their environment better and more quickly. Your huge 48 incher may be having trouble getting used to your yard after being raised in a nursery for a long time.

What did you pay for it and how big was it? If you don't mind.

Back