Depth Gauges on a Grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Athough the wheel on my 511a grinder is 'centered' as far as getting equal length cutters R & L, It does not appear to be 'centered' for the depth gauges.

I am getting different heights for the right and left depth gauges, due to the different parts of the wheel curvature that touches each.

So I am now grinding all of the right depth gauges, then readjusting the wheel height, and grinding all of the left depth gauges.

The chain remains facing the same direction due to the positioning dog.

(But now I really want a 511ax with the sliding vise!).

Philbert

I know it is an old post but here is my technique for depth gauges.

I use a grinder.

First thing I did was replace the 2 washers that space the vice plates with thinner washers that are just a bit thicker than the drive links. Now the vice grabs the chain better.

Sharpen the cutters.

Set the vice to 0 degrees. Leave the wheel at 60 degrees (or what ever you use).

Pivot the chain stop out of the way. Set the depth stop to cut the depth gauge to desired height.

Now the fun part. Set the vice to just barely hold the drive links. drag the chain backwards until the cutter clears the wheel. Lower the wheel and hold it down. Now slowly drag the chain backwards grinding the top off the depth gauge. Lift the wheel before you hit the back of the next cutter.

This technique uses the side the wheel that is not used in sharpening the cutters and depends upon you getting the vice just tight enough to hold the drive link but allow you to drag the chain in the vice.

Works real fast once you get the hang of it.

Latest posts

Back