Depth of face cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good alternative to a sloping back cut. Did anyone else notice the steel wedges :eek::eek: in the 3rd video. The shame!! o_Oo_O
Yeah, the third one was hardly worth posting. I think they were aluminum wedges BTW. First video is straight forward and less to go wrong.

Prolly not my place, but its never stopped me before......

Mr. Fixit. You posted a story about falling a tree. In this story you left a skybound tree unattended to go get another wedge. This straight tree was skybound because you left three inches of holding wood between the face and the back cut. An experienced production faller, who happens to be the guy the other fallers on here go to for advice, told you that 3 inches of holding wood is too much on a tree that size. You then insulted him, and insisted that your technique and logic were sound. This site is losing its experts. There are a few saw builders left that are happy to help with advice, and several arborists and loggers who will try to point the less experienced in a safer direction, but their numbers are dwindling. I suspect it is because every day, there are guys who refuse to take well meaning advice from pro's and just want to argue. I get that you told your falling story with pride in a job well done, and did not get the response you expected, but a little bit of humility would have gone a long way in keeping yet another good thread from getting derailed with ********

Well said.

Thanks Jon, Bob and Miss P.

The firewood boys got it all figured out as usual. Carry on.

All that who-haa with the boring and wedging in small timber is total ******** by the way. Backcut, pound wedge, face, pound wedge, drop. Or slam it with another sob. No time in this line of work for a lot of non-sense.

Sorry guys, but I cannot believe I just read advice FOR a sloped back cut. If you cant manage to get a wedge in 12-16" diameter wood then I think you should consider a new technique.

Pounding wedges in a sloped back cut will stress the hinge horizontally and less force from the wedge will go into the direction to help tip the tree towards your face cut.
I didn't say use it. I said he could get away with it if he's just slapping a wedge in for insurance of not pinching the bar.

On elm you can have a 3/4" thick hinge and it is still tough.

I didn't say use it. I said he could get away with it if he's just slapping a wedge in for insurance of not pinching the bar.

On elm you can have a 3/4" thick hinge and it is still tough.

Your not discouraging the use of it either, just accepting unnecessary risk. I'm not trying to beat you up on what you said. If you want to help the feller out give home the proper technique. If you were in the field with him and saw him using sloped back cut would you correct him or say "why the hell not" and turn a shoulder..?

Your not discouraging the use of it either, just accepting unnecessary risk. I'm not trying to beat you up on what you said. If you want to help the feller out give home the proper technique. If you were in the field with him and saw him using sloped back cut would you correct him or say "why the hell not" and turn a shoulder..?
If you noticed the posts before I told him what I do with a back cut first. He's receptive to help and some arent. If i was in person i would try my best to show him a better way.

Last one is not my favorite example, I dont agree with using 2 wedges when you can use one. Its almost the same cut as the second video. Also the cuts can be made horizontal and not sloped to the middle. Notch your face, do the back cut but only through ~2/3's, set you wedge and go to the other side and complete your back cut. Thats basically what the second and third vid are showing. The first video is what I use normally, what more do ya need..?

Was the guy using a humbolt cut on the first video?

I get that you told your falling story with pride in a job well done, and did not get the response you expected, but a little bit of humility would have gone a long way in keeping yet another good thread from getting derailed with ********

I agree with what you're saying, but it does take at least two egos for any needless argument. I can stand back and see where each side is coming from. I hope no one is losing any sleep over this one.

We all gotta chill a little.

I'm always willing to learn especially on something I am horrible at. I have multiple reasons to learn the proper way. Most important is I don't want crushed by a tree. Second is in the shop I have people constantly asking for advice and I want to give the right advice and a safe way of doing it.

Pfffttt...
I'd show him how to stump jump the SOB and go back to the truck...

Mike was talkin theory, not proper...
I didn't read it any other way...

Back