Depth of face cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fixit1960,

Wasn't trying to offend you. In fact I would have posted a "like" to your post #104 except for the part about Bitzer's post. I re-read it and founded no basis for me to "spank" him as I agree 100% with his comments (except the elm hinge and that is only because I have no experience with elm). However, having read many of his posts I would bet a steak dinner that he is right. His post obliviously struck you wrong but I don't think that his intent was to embarrass you. It strikes me wrong every time someone I don't know comments negatively about a less than sharp chain shown on some video, probably because I am both guilty of using dull chains and being a poor sharpener. But nonetheless these type posts remind me how important a sharp chain can be.

I'm glad to read you were just bantering with slowp and having a little fun the "wedge Nazi" comment. Without a doubt I am sure that she and I would have different views on many things just like I would with almost anyone. I am, however, weary of folks (especially "grown men") attacking her with respect to her knowledge, beliefs or opinions. Glad to hear you are not one of them.

I am also glad you weren't picking a fight as I assumed. HuskStihl summed up my initial reaction better than I could.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to the regular programing. :barbecue:As a firewood hack I say the Progressive Farmer should have fact checked the "expert" in their safety video despite his title and pretty Husky outfit. His Step 4 comment that the depth of the face cut is not important and only the length of the face cut and the 70* angle are important was too much for me. Maybe his 80% of the diameter length rule gets you back to the same place as the general 1/3 of the diameter deep rule but it sure didn't on his sample. How many of us can accurately judge 80% and remember where those points are without marking the tree? Who knows, maybe he thinks the readers of Progressive Farmers only cut plate size trees. Or that one rule will fit all the trees a PF reader would fall. If he thinks either, he would be wrong.

Any one here that use a length rule instead of a depth rule for making face cuts (or face notches as the expert calls them)?

Any one here that only makes 70* face cuts?

Moving on, I bet some of you could put five to ten similar sized trees safely on the ground in the same actual time he spent falling that one tree with all the fiddling around he did. I like this little guy :chop:better. He just goes to work and gets the job done.

Ron

fixit1960,

Wasn't trying to offend you. In fact I would have posted a "like" to your post #104 except for the part about Bitzer's post. I re-read it and founded no basis for me to "spank" him as I agree 100% with his comments (except the elm hinge and that is only because I have no experience with elm). However, having read many of his posts I would bet a steak dinner that he is right. His post obliviously struck you wrong but I don't think that his intent was to embarrass you. It strikes me wrong every time someone I don't know comments negatively about a less than sharp chain shown on some video, probably because I am both guilty of using dull chains and being a poor sharpener. But nonetheless these type posts remind me how important a sharp chain can be.

I'm glad to read you were just bantering with slowp and having a little fun the "wedge Nazi" comment. Without a doubt I am sure that she and I would have different views on many things just like I would with almost anyone. I am, however, weary of folks (especially "grown men") attacking her with respect to her knowledge, beliefs or opinions. Glad to hear you are not one of them.

I am also glad you weren't picking a fight as I assumed. HuskStihl summed up my initial reaction better than I could.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to the regular programing. :barbecue:As a firewood hack I say the Progressive Farmer should have fact checked the "expert" in their safety video despite his title and pretty Husky outfit. His Step 4 comment that the depth of the face cut is not important and only the length of the face cut and the 70* angle are important was too much for me. Maybe his 80% of the diameter length rule gets you back to the same place as the general 1/3 of the diameter deep rule but it sure didn't on his sample. How many of us can accurately judge 80% and remember where those points are without marking the tree? Who knows, maybe he thinks the readers of Progressive Farmers only cut plate size trees. Or that one rule will fit all the trees a PF reader would fall. If he thinks either, he would be wrong.

Any one here that use a length rule instead of a depth rule for making face cuts (or face notches as the expert calls them)?

Any one here that only makes 70* face cuts?

Moving on, I bet some of you could put five to ten similar sized trees safely on the ground in the same actual time he spent falling that one tree with all the fiddling around he did. I like this little guy :chop:better. He just goes to work and gets the job done.

Ron

Okay, I've irritated some people , it wasn't my intent. To those I've offended I apologize.
Also sorry for the derail on the thread.
To bitzer and slowp, I'm sorry if you were offended. No malice intended.

Carry on..

Don't worry I wasn't offended!

I'll run my mouth again next time I get a chance and I'd buy the steak dinner Ron.

I like cuttin timber. Thats why I chose it as a profession. I anticipate situations that could kill or maim me everyday. Sometimes things get real close. It takes a certain type of person with the right amount of confidence and wariness to fall timber safely and efficiently. Its a different ballgame when you cut trees to feed your family. I will always give my advice to anyone on here or in the world about laying out trees. Whether they like it or not. I would have said the same thing if fixit1960 was standing right in front of me. Its all about stump time.

Don't worry I wasn't offended!

I'll run my mouth again next time I get a chance and I'd buy the steak dinner Ron.

I like cuttin timber. Thats why I chose it as a profession. I anticipate situations that could kill or maim me everyday. Sometimes things get real close. It takes a certain type of person with the right amount of confidence and wariness to fall timber safely and efficiently. Its a different ballgame when you cut trees to feed your family. I will always give my advice to anyone on here or in the world about laying out trees. Whether they like it or not. I would have said the same thing if fixit1960 was standing right in front of me. Its all about stump time.
+1 i sure wish more around here would listen, another one gone yesterday.

You gotta give a lot to a guy who tries, learns and makes mistakes. That is how we got where we are, good, bad or indifferent.
It's all about danger, but it's more about passion.

I don't know about the rest of the country but out here it's falling. And fallers. Screw grammar.
i was just curious , as to what the correct pronunciation is , or if changed depending on what the case was , or in a different part of the country ,i was told it was felling and fellers by the loggers and professional Arborist's in my area , and they would get quite ticked off if someone said fallers ,i also thought it might slang cause there were lots of other catchy words they used , like , blockers , grapplers and bucklers ?

Faller
1.jpg

Feller
swingboom.gif

Back