Design student developing new forestry product

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewuk

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am eager to hear your ideas and suggestions for a new product I am developing. I am a Product Design student at Nottingham Trent University in the UK. Please give me your experiences of the problem, any methods you use currently, exactly what equipment you use, and suggestions for the design. Also please say how commercially successful such a product might be.

Even from my relatively limited experience in forestry, I identified a problem in having to carry felling equipment on foot from the vehicle to the site of work, when the site is some distance from a track.

So my brief was to design a container that would help carry the necessary tools. The device can also provide a means of keeping track of tools.The product would have to be lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and durable. It would be used for smaller scale woodland management tasks rather than commercial logging.

I have produced several concepts already but would like your comments first. I'd like to get your feedback on those designs.

Thank you,
Lewis

Hello everybody. I am eager to hear your ideas and suggestions for a new product I am developing. I am a Product Design student at Nottingham Trent University in the UK. Please give me your experiences of the problem, any methods you use currently, exactly what equipment you use, and suggestions for the design. Also please say how commercially successful such a product might be.

Even from my relatively limited experience in forestry, I identified a problem in having to carry felling equipment on foot from the vehicle to the site of work, when the site is some distance from a track.

So my brief was to design a container that would help carry the necessary tools. The device can also provide a means of keeping track of tools.The product would have to be lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and durable. It would be used for smaller scale woodland management tasks rather than commercial logging.

I have produced several concepts already but would like your comments first. I'd like to get your feedback on those designs.

Thank you,
Lewis

allot of the guys on here already have some kind of container or sled type device for doing what your talking about.
so your design is not really new.:confused:
plus its not really that hard of a thing to design really,
a container that you can slipe along the ground.

now if you could design one that hovers about a foot or so of the ground, so there's no drag at all and its easy as pie to pull along, also, i don't like to get ahead of myself, but perhaps a mechanical arm that could lift the wood up onto the hover sled.

if you could do something along those lines then i think you could be onto something.

or if anyone has to much trouble carrying stuff, i have the solution ..
how about a donkey:deadhorse:, there cheap and they,ll carry your tools all day for a carrot. or if that's not enough to carry all your stuff get the donkey and a sled and tie the sled to the donkey.

there you go i have solved the problem, you don't have to design anything now, ...............unless a donkey sled with a mechanical arm like i mentioned earlier, hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm now there's an invention.:laugh:

if you do design that, remember i gave you the idea and you will have to pay me royalties :clap:
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

2nd idea...

Tree identification!

What kind of tree is that?

What kind of wood is that?

It would be nice to point a gizmo at a tree and have it tell you what kind of tree it was...

Let's see...
Fingerprint type technology used instead to identify tree leaves?

Color sensor...
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Senso...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Various sensors...
http://www.motionnet.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?a=cat&no=4373

Maybe laser or microwave/radar to measure bark/wood/densities?

Spectrophotometry...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrophotometer

Thank you,
Lewis

Sounds a lot like a wheel barrow. :laugh:

Really though, keep thinking you'll come up with something. If it weren't for people trying to figure out a better way, we'd all be still skidding logs with mules, and cutting with cross cut's and axes. :cheers:

Andy

It is already out there. It is called am Marine Corps A.L.I.C.E. Pack. When you think that it is full let me know. I will show you that you still have room left. I also recomend that it has the frame on. Mine will carry 3 gallons of saw gas, 2 gallons of bar oil, and still have enough room for a 12"x12"x12" cooler for lunch. Can strap 2 660 stihl chain saws with 36" bars. Hold every tool to fix saw in the woods. At least 8 chains. I know when I went to Iraq my pack weighed in at just under 150#.

Ray

It is already out there. It is called am Marine Corps A.L.I.C.E. Pack. When you think that it is full let me know. I will show you that you still have room left. I also recomend that it has the frame on. Mine will carry 3 gallons of saw gas, 2 gallons of bar oil, and still have enough room for a 12"x12"x12" cooler for lunch. Can strap 2 660 stihl chain saws with 36" bars. Hold every tool to fix saw in the woods. At least 8 chains. I know when I went to Iraq my pack weighed in at just under 150#.

Ray

Ray. You took the exact words out of my mouth. I use my old A.L.I.C.E. Pack as well. Rep you for that one bud. :cheers:

A small back pack and a sturdy belt carry all I need for a whole day. My saw gas and oil are tied together and slung over my shoulder or saw bar.

I got a few thingamajigs and doohickeys. All told, it's gonna be hard to beat my setup... as far as I'm concerned. My duct-tape-and-bailing-wire atrocity is comfy as all-get-out.

Meanwhile, The US Forest Service has been pondering such issues for awhile, as have some commercial outfits.

I'm not trying to discourage you, not by a long shot -- I'm just trying to point out that, by and large, folks who work in the woods figure things out pretty quickly. Also, we've been known to resist change.

Just sayin'.

I got a few thingamajigs and doohickeys. All told, it's gonna be hard to beat my setup... as far as I'm concerned. My duct-tape-and-bailing-wire atrocity is comfy as all-get-out.

Meanwhile, The US Forest Service has been pondering such issues for awhile, as have some commercial outfits.

I'm not trying to discourage you, not by a long shot -- I'm just trying to point out that, by and large, folks who work in the woods figure things out pretty quickly. Also, we've been known to resist change.

Just sayin'.

I am all for something lighter, simpler and more convenient.
Like you say, there has been a huge amount of research and development in this area that he thinks is new.
Good luck.

Thanks for all your input. Well most of you anyway! I understand what you guys are saying. It's all very helpful.

I realise that people have found their own ingenious ways to carry tools but I haven't found an ideal solution that is specifically for foresters. Most carrying cases/bags are just for the saw and maybe a few tools and oil. But there is other equipment to carry too, like lunch, waterproofs, first aid, breaker bar, fuel, sledge hammer, wedges etc.

I found that a wheelbarrow was unstable across rough terrain and it's not exactly compact for putting it in a vehicle. Most of the time it isn't possible to slide something along the ground because of roots and brash.

Most of the people I have heard from operate differently from the market I'm aiming at. Seems like the lightweight canvas rucksack is ideal for moving over longer distances, but I am concentrating on smaller scale woodland management tasks. This may be line thinning in areas a little way off the vehicle track.

My research amongst fellow foresters favours a more rugged plastic container. It would be purpose-built for carrying the necessary tools, and would have features like a seat, compartment for valuable items and a flat surface for saw maintenance. Obviously it would still need to be as inexpensive as possible and not be too heavy. Also whether it is pulled/pushed along, carried on the back or infront etc.

Please keep your suggestions coming because it is so important to get feedback from potential users.

Lewis

2nd idea...

Tree identification!

What kind of tree is that?

What kind of wood is that?

It would be nice to point a gizmo at a tree and have it tell you what kind of tree it was...

Let's see...
Fingerprint type technology used instead to identify tree leaves?

Color sensor...
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Senso...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Various sensors...
http://www.motionnet.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?a=cat&no=4373

Maybe laser or microwave/radar to measure bark/wood/densities?

Spectrophotometry...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrophotometer

I've been told theres a programme for the iPhone called TreeID for tree identification but as i don't carry one of those massive slabs of phone about in my pocket i've never tried it.

Maybe I'll have a go if a Java based application comes out that goes on a more normal sized phone.
Till then I'll just make do with my little Collins Gem Book in my back pocket.

Ray
How's it goin Ray? Can you post a picture of that pack? I'd like to see it.:cheers:

How's it goin Ray? Can you post a picture of that pack? I'd like to see it.:cheers:

ALICE is just a fancy acronym for an olive drab Kelty backpack. I was not a particular fan of them. They did work well if you used the load strap around your hip and balanced the load well. You'll get more info from hippy magazines/websites than you would if you looked for it on any USMC website.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_alice.php

I hope you do come up with something useful. I think you need to identify where the need is at, and get a little better understanding of the operations out there. I think you'd benefit greatly by getting out on some active job sites to identify where the need is for a product.

smaller woodlot mgmt.? The way I see it is you must be addressing the felling where the extraction system (i.e. skidder, dozer, forwarder, whatever) has not opened it up yet forcing a hike in for the fallers. The longest )and steepest) hikes we have is cutting for a big yarder or a helicopter. Cause if the machine can get there, whatever is pulling the wood out, then it can tote whatever you or it needs. But us fallers can have a heck of a hike sometimes, although not so much on small woodlot jobs.

Pack animal is definately the first thing that comes to mind. 4 wheelers have there place. and side by sides. and toyota pickups. I know a faller with a heck of a little dog that helps him a little. I suppose theres some hooktenders out there that would like something to make toting blocks easier, but they have pimps for that..... but if its super steep and deep, its a long tough walk. But think about it, we can leave our saw, entire tool belt, felling axe, and extra gas and water down in that hole each night (well hidden) so all we're carring is more water, gas and oil, and food and all in our backpack.

Go watch some jobs.

I have not packed it for a while. But if you want you can stop by and I will show it too you. I also have a brand new M.O.L.L.Y. Pack. I have not heard anything good about them. So I have not tried it. They hold about 1/3 more gear.

Ray

I have not packed it for a while. But if you want you can stop by and I will show it too you. I also have a brand new M.O.L.L.Y. Pack. I have not heard anything good about them. So I have not tried it. They hold about 1/3 more gear.

Ray
Rudedog posted a link that shows a pretty good illustration. I carry a regular backpack that holds my necessary tools, spare chain, extra gloves, rain gear, lunch, drinks, and most importantly, my first aid kit. Working alone most of the time my first aid kit is a priority.

Thanks for all your input. Well most of you anyway! I understand what you guys are saying. It's all very helpful.

I realise that people have found their own ingenious ways to carry tools but I haven't found an ideal solution that is specifically for foresters. Most carrying cases/bags are just for the saw and maybe a few tools and oil. But there is other equipment to carry too, like lunch, waterproofs, first aid, breaker bar, fuel, sledge hammer, wedges etc.

I found that a wheelbarrow was unstable across rough terrain and it's not exactly compact for putting it in a vehicle. Most of the time it isn't possible to slide something along the ground because of roots and brash.

Most of the people I have heard from operate differently from the market I'm aiming at. Seems like the lightweight canvas rucksack is ideal for moving over longer distances, but I am concentrating on smaller scale woodland management tasks. This may be line thinning in areas a little way off the vehicle track.

My research amongst fellow foresters favours a more rugged plastic container. It would be purpose-built for carrying the necessary tools, and would have features like a seat, compartment for valuable items and a flat surface for saw maintenance. Obviously it would still need to be as inexpensive as possible and not be too heavy. Also whether it is pulled/pushed along, carried on the back or infront etc.

Please keep your suggestions coming because it is so important to get feedback from potential users.

Lewis

One thing about working in the woods is not carrying anything thing that is not essential.
What on earth are you doing with a sledge hammer and a breaker bar in the woods. And a seat and work bench are not something I intend to carry around much. What is next an anvil and vice to go with the sledge hammer and breaker bar?
You need a saw, gas and and oil for it. Water, food and first aid kit for you. But they don't need to be carried in the same container.
An ax and wedges and tape need to be on your body. That means a good belt.
How much stuff to you intend to carry and over what kind of terrain?
A large ruck sack or back back will carry more than I can.
Have you seen the five gallon bucket organizers they sell for carpenters?
Or the rough terrain game toters made with a bicycle wheel?

Latest posts

Back