Desperately Needing Work!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it might be worth a trip up to CT for a week if I can make 3K up there. Guess no bodys got the exp or just don't want to travel a bit. That can be made down this way NP when things are busy.

There is lots of work in CT. Crews from Michigan and Texas are in the area doing residential work. With a bucket and crane you can easily make $3000-$5000 a day. If your just climbing a lot of people just want storm damaged limbs removed. So your looking at climbing 10-20 Oaks per property for 2-3 limbs around 80-90' tall in the northwest part of the state. Hope you do p90x thats a lot of work for a small payday.

There is lots of work in CT. Crews from Michigan and Texas are in the area doing residential work. With a bucket and crane you can easily make $3000-$5000 a day. If your just climbing a lot of people just want storm damaged limbs removed. So your looking at climbing 10-20 Oaks per property for 2-3 limbs around 80-90' tall in the northwest part of the state. Hope you do p90x thats a lot of work for a small payday.

LOL! Just found this thread. I had to google p90x, but that's some funny ####! I got a wraptor and big shot on order as we speak.. I tried footlocking the other week and came to grips with reality pretty fast. :laugh:

I can climb all day long on spikes, no biggie. If I was to head up that way just to climb and limb stuff I'd have to get 450-500 a day with at least a weeks work lined up. That would be the only way it would be worth the trip for me. Everybody says there's tons of work, I don't hear anyone shouting my way "we need a climber now"...

LOL! Just found this thread. I had to google p90x, but that's some funny ####! I got a wraptor and big shot on order as we speak.. I tried footlocking the other week and came to grips with reality pretty fast. :laugh:

Foot lockings crap! Get a pantin! I hear ya though, why waste energy!:msp_tongue:

I can climb all day long on spikes, no biggie. If I was to head up that way just to climb and limb stuff I'd have to get 450-500 a day with at least a weeks work lined up. That would be the only way it would be worth the trip for me. Everybody says there's tons of work, I don't hear anyone shouting my way "we need a climber now"...

They need climbers up this way. Maybe you didn't get a call because tree workers in CT don't use spikes while pruning. We do have landscapers that do but people only hire them if they are cheap and wouldn't pay you 500 a day to spike up their tree for a few limbs.

They need climbers up this way. Maybe you didn't get a call because tree workers in CT don't use spikes while pruning. We do have landscapers that do but people only hire them if they are cheap and wouldn't pay you 500 a day to spike up their tree for a few limbs.

Lol! Where are you at man? PM me if ya want.. just curious.

LOL bugs do more damage that I ever will!

Your kidding me right, ??? as if the tree would die next week from a few spike marks LOL. I think these people need to be educated on the fact that trees are not hurt from a few spike marks. Most trees with rough bark don't show the marks in a few months anyway. Common sense tells you this if your cutting stuff off of them and they don't die. Oh, BTW if it is an aesthetic thing, guess they should just cut the whole damn tree down cause most of them will look horrible with a limb or two missing on those perfect trees up there ROF LMAO! If it was worth 500 a day not to spike up a tree that needed a few limbs taken off I'll just order up a power rope climber for 2500-3K and just get more done and spend less time and energy. Then I would presume they will want to get twice as much work out of me or cut my pay in half ? Bottom line is I can climb anything, anywhere, in weather, given the time and a good groundy. I'm not saying I'm the best or a know it all. My work is always done SAFE, right and the site is cleaned up if that is part of the job. I think :deadhorse::deadhorse: maybe, way too much time is spent worrying how the job will get done and more should be spent on the safety and quality of the work being done.
One last thought to leave you all with, if it has lots of limbs or is a small tree, I dought I'd need spikes to get the job done.

Wow. You can climb anything but say if it was a small tree and had enough limbs you doubt you would need spikes
Your from jersey... I thought I saw you on the jersey shore hooking up with snooky

Last edited:
Your kidding me right, ??? as if the tree would die next week from a few spike marks LOL. I think these people need to be educated on the fact that trees are not hurt from a few spike marks. Most trees with rough bark don't show the marks in a few months anyway. Common sense tells you this if your cutting stuff off of them and they don't die. Oh, BTW if it is an aesthetic thing, guess they should just cut the whole damn tree down cause most of them will look horrible with a limb or two missing on those perfect trees up there ROF LMAO! If it was worth 500 a day not to spike up a tree that needed a few limbs taken off I'll just order up a power rope climber for 2500-3K and just get more done and spend less time and energy. Then I would presume they will want to get twice as much work out of me or cut my pay in half ? Bottom line is I can climb anything, anywhere, in weather, given the time and a good groundy. I'm not saying I'm the best or a know it all. My work is always done SAFE, right and the site is cleaned up if that is part of the job. I think :deadhorse::deadhorse: maybe, way too much time is spent worrying how the job will get done and more should be spent on the safety and quality of the work being done.
One last thought to leave you all with, if it has lots of limbs or is a small tree, I dought I'd need spikes to get the job done.

You need to educate yourself... Bugs normally do not feed on healthy trees. They are though attracted by fresh wounds like pruning cuts, storm damage and yes even by spike marks. I am not saying you are going to kill a tree by spiking it but you are increasing the risk to the trees health. If when advising the customer you explain that you are going to spike up the tree and its considered bad practice because it does increase the risk to the health of the tree. Then you also explain that even if it heals it is going to leave dark spots in the bark everywhere you spike and they still say okay then I guess its on them. But I doubt this stuff comes up in your conversations.

Oh yeah if the tree is that small or has that many limbs the HO prolly wouldnt need your help

Wow. You can climb anything but say if it was a small tree and had enough limbs you doubt you would need spikes
Your from jersey... I thought I saw you on the jersey shore hooking up with snooky

shes a pig but on your mind lol

pigs are way up the chain from her , my bad

Last edited:
You need to educate yourself... Bugs normally do not feed on healthy trees. They are though attracted by fresh wounds like pruning cuts, storm damage and yes even by spike marks. I am not saying you are going to kill a tree by spiking it but you are increasing the risk to the trees health. If when advising the customer you explain that you are going to spike up the tree and its considered bad practice because it does increase the risk to the health of the tree. Then you also explain that even if it heals it is going to leave dark spots in the bark everywhere you spike and they still say okay then I guess its on them. But I doubt this stuff comes up in your conversations.

Oh yeah if the tree is that small or has that many limbs the HO prolly wouldnt need your help

It does come up very rarely. I do explain such as you have here. Thing is, I've never had a protest about the dark spots and I do let them know this before any work is started. I may have lost a few jobs on just the points you brought up here. Guess I'll never know because no one has ever asked me not to climb with my spikes.

Your spot on about the wounds and such, glad to see someone is paying attention here. My point being, is it "really" worth the effort to not spike a tree and you brought out several good points on that congrats.

Now in the real world I might just go buy a powered rope ascender if it warrants the costs to do so. So far in my experience it hasn't. I've never had a customer that was so concerned about that. If I find in the future it would be cost effective to do so then I will climb that hurtle. I climb for the excitement, the money and just shear point of doing what most can not even comprehend as a good days work. It is also a great workout. I think most people in general think all of us are nuts to want to climb a tree and then start up a chainsaw to run while hanging who knows how high in the air off a rope, with a belt and lanyard. It takes big balls, I think you might agree, and some serous know to do just that as safely as possible. I have a wife and three kids so I'm not try to set the world on fire, get killed and or injured in the process.

I'd like to hear from more arborist, owners and tree pros on just this point, to spike or not to spike?

around here if you climb a tree that is to reamain with spikes number 1 you probably wouldn't make it 5 feet up the tree before the home owner came out and yanked your ass off the tree 2 you would be fired from pretty much any company I know of around, even the mexi's with a one ton and no chipper do it the right way. right now we are doing a municipal contract for trimming each block averages 20-30 trees and we do 2-3 blocks a day depending on how bad it is yup no spikes we go out with 1 bucket 2 or three climbers and 1 ground man. its not like these are small trees either about half on every block are american elms that are enourmous I think I have raked a path 150 wide by 2 miles over the last week its worse then hell

Looking for work in new haven county or anywhere else in CT. Climber Bucket operator with 5 years experience.

Hey of you can't land a climbing job you could always try out for a modeling job with sherrill, im sure they are looking for someone to show case all their bells and whistles :msp_rolleyes::heart:

Hey of you can't land a climbing job you could always try out for a modeling job with sherrill, im sure they are looking for someone to show case all their bells and whistles :msp_rolleyes::heart:

I already took that job, so he's outta luck there too. I got the big shot and some throw bags in last night, still waiting on the wraptor. I will be giving an honest review of that mother####er for sure!

Latest posts

Back