Desperately Needing Work!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does come up very rarely. I do explain such as you have here. Thing is, I've never had a protest about the dark spots and I do let them know this before any work is started. I may have lost a few jobs on just the points you brought up here. Guess I'll never know because no one has ever asked me not to climb with my spikes.

Your spot on about the wounds and such, glad to see someone is paying attention here. My point being, is it "really" worth the effort to not spike a tree and you brought out several good points on that congrats.

Now in the real world I might just go buy a powered rope ascender if it warrants the costs to do so. So far in my experience it hasn't. I've never had a customer that was so concerned about that. If I find in the future it would be cost effective to do so then I will climb that hurtle. I climb for the excitement, the money and just shear point of doing what most can not even comprehend as a good days work. It is also a great workout. I think most people in general think all of us are nuts to want to climb a tree and then start up a chainsaw to run while hanging who knows how high in the air off a rope, with a belt and lanyard. It takes big balls, I think you might agree, and some serous know to do just that as safely as possible. I have a wife and three kids so I'm not try to set the world on fire, get killed and or injured in the process.

I'd like to hear from more arborist, owners and tree pros on just this point, to spike or not to spike?

In my state, it is against the law to spike a tree unless it is being removed, very big fines if caught. Even if it wasn't, I would not spike a tree to prune it. Any neanderthal can climb in spikes.

It does come up very rarely. I do explain such as you have here. Thing is, I've never had a protest about the dark spots and I do let them know this before any work is started. I may have lost a few jobs on just the points you brought up here. Guess I'll never know because no one has ever asked me not to climb with my spikes.

Your spot on about the wounds and such, glad to see someone is paying attention here. My point being, is it "really" worth the effort to not spike a tree and you brought out several good points on that congrats.

Now in the real world I might just go buy a powered rope ascender if it warrants the costs to do so. So far in my experience it hasn't. I've never had a customer that was so concerned about that. If I find in the future it would be cost effective to do so then I will climb that hurtle. I climb for the excitement, the money and just shear point of doing what most can not even comprehend as a good days work. It is also a great workout. I think most people in general think all of us are nuts to want to climb a tree and then start up a chainsaw to run while hanging who knows how high in the air off a rope, with a belt and lanyard. It takes big balls, I think you might agree, and some serous know to do just that as safely as possible. I have a wife and three kids so I'm not try to set the world on fire, get killed and or injured in the process.

I'd like to hear from more arborist, owners and tree pros on just this point, to spike or not to spike?

That questions already been answered repeatedly , I mean NO not in the wind ,not in the rain ,just no if the conditions are that bad than you shouldn't be in a tree any how , But please man be better for yourself its really not that hard to ditch the spurs actually my body doesn't hurt as bad after trimming ...Its kinder on your ankles your knees and all and if you need a Geezer Walker to get up the tree than by all means get one ...And dude I am 250+ and I don't use spikes period and If I can body thrust or lard thrust than anyone can ....

Last edited:
That questions already been answered repeatedly , I mean NO not in the wind ,not in the rain ,just no if the conditions are that bad than you shouldn't be in a tree any how , But please man be better for yourself its really not that hard to ditch the spurs actually my body doesn't hurt as bad after trimming ...Its kinder on your ankles your knees and all and if you need a Geezer Walker to get up the tree than by all means get one ...And dude I am 250+ and I don't use spikes period and If I can body thrust or lard thrust than anyone can ....

Tree climbing competitions with weight and age classes now that would be a sport. I would do okay in the masters/unlimited class.

Spiked

Good vid very nice. Thanks to everyone for all your responses.

Now here's the answers you been looking for in my " "-Twilight Zone-" " thread. Most of what I have said in my responses, contrary to damn good advice, was #### that has been shoved to me by many climbers in the past two years that I have worked with or for them for one reason or another. Now you'll know where I'm at and where I'm looking to go.

To all whom are wondering why this post was put up. Yes it was intended to stir the masses and test the waters. Remember when you were a kid, even though you were warned, and just could not wait to throw a stone at a hornets nest to see what would come out of it. Well, I'm sure I've stirred up a few of those lol.

If you'd like to work for some hacks we have plenty of them down here in So. Jersey. I've worked for more than a few and they, they are always looking for some butchers to work for them. I will not be doing any more climbing for "fly by night" tree services looking for part time help. Done with that. There a dime a dozen in the Delaware Valley area. What they need is part time half wit hacks who could care less about their work so, I'm sure they'll have no trouble finding a few here and there. Nothing to be learned from them so, nothing to gain. Cash ain't everything! I know there's easier ways for me to make money.

On the brighter side there is plenty of reputable people and companies in this area. I've learned more about climbing in the last few months on this site verses the last few years out in the field with so called, experienced climbers.
Case in point, a while back
Q: "Why do you always climb with spikes? Doesn't it damage the trees?"
A: "I've got four years climbing, dad always did it this way and we always use spikes to do all our tree trimming work."
Now I'm LMAO behind the shed thinking "he's a hack for sure, takes no pride in his work. Boy, I can't wait for this day to end so I can get paid and go home to read some more on AS." I'm looking to learn more all the time and move forward in climbing.

To Del: I was not pissed about what you had to say just looking for some more insightful reading for the masses and maybe a few tips besides the one you fired out there :) Good man standing your ground. Nuf said on that.

Feels good to be a part of this site and hope to learn much from the pros willing to give up some of that "in the field" experience. Looks like most of the responses given here were straight forward shot from the hip. I like that !!! Save the BS for parties and Sunday beer 30ty sessions :)

Anybody with mechanical wows on their vehicles or projects like race cars, street rods, customs wheeling machines and others, ask away, hope I can help it was always my strong suit back when I was doing it full time for a living. Love to build things, though I have little time for it these days. The itch is always there and maybe I'll get back to racing someday. Feel free to kill the thread or bury it! lol

Latest posts

Back