Details pictures of Alsakan MKIII

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Before I put together and started using my Alsakan MKIII mill I took some details pictures.

Seeing as people are interested in building their own I figured that I would post those pictures here...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

More to come...

I like the Alaskan Mills. As I said previously, I was down at the Granberg facility on Mare Island a month or so ago....very nice people. They ship those Alaskan Mills all over the world. And they're popular with missionaries going into remote areas...particularly in South America.

The folks at Granberg International took the time to answer every one of my stupid questions too, and that means a lot to me :)

Drop in and pay them a visit if you get the chance...besides, you get to see Mare Island, which is very interesting. It wasn't that many years ago that you couldn't even get past the Marine guard shack at the entrance to Mare Island.

If somebody has the right welder, and materials and time, they could build one. But, in all reality these things are priced so cheaply, and built so well why bother. If you build one are you going to the measurements on the side to keep your cuts straight, have a handle that also holds your screwch, all the lil things that probably took them a few tries to make work better. I have been very happy with mine and as long as your willing to do some hard work, its a very good set up.

johncinco said:
If somebody has the right welder, and materials and time, they could build one. But, in all reality these things are priced so cheaply, and built so well why bother...

Honestly, I've had that thought many times. I just have an obsession with building crap.

Here's One I'm Working On

Honestly, I've had that thought many times. I just have an obsession with building crap.

Here is a mill I've been working on for the past few weeks. I need to add a few braces and an handle for the basic frame and it will be ready to go. I'm using a PowerBee 820 motor so I'll be adding an oiler at both ends of the 38" bar. Oil/gas tank will be fabricated from aluminum as I have an unlimited source for the stuff. I'm getting antsy to use the thing. Have to head to the cabin to do some limb chipping on Monday so It will have to wait until I get back.

jerry-

Thanks for posting the pics MIP - I have never seen one of these close up.

If somebody has the right welder, and materials and time, they could build one. But, in all reality these things are priced so cheaply, and built so well why bother.

Ahh, it depends what yer buz it. I got more jollies out of building and moding the BIL mill than using it, and using it is a real pleasure. It's the one of the few tools that I have made that works maybe even better than I imagined it would. Thanks mainly of course to this forum.:clap:

For many it's the destinations but for some it's the road trips.
:cheers:

Here is a mill I've been working on for the past few weeks. I need to add a few braces and an handle for the basic frame and it will be ready to go. I'm using a PowerBee 820 motor so I'll be adding an oiler at both ends of the 38" bar. Oil/gas tank will be fabricated from aluminum as I have an unlimited source for the stuff. I'm getting antsy to use the thing. Have to head to the cabin to do some limb chipping on Monday so It will have to wait until I get back.

jerry-
Jerry
Nice work.
I have some Tan Oak to test it on.

NIce job

jerry-

Good work Jerry. I just retired from 34 years of working with steel and I know that this will weigh a lot. With unlimited access to aluminum you could lighten it up quite a bit after you get the bugs worked out.:blob2:

Thank you for the pictures. I'm putting mine together right now, so this is a big help.

It would be a lot of fun to make a personal mill.

It wasn't that many years ago that you couldn't even get past the Marine guard shack at the entrance to Mare Island.

Way, way off topic, but I was stationed there back in 1976 at the Nuclear Power School. Gorgeous piece of property. The Navy had been there for a long time. The old School house was actually a converted World War I hospital. Beautiful piece of land.

Very nice metelworking Jerry... I too wish I knew more about welding and such. I have to agree with Bob though, a large part of designing and building something from scratch is the pure satisfaction of just that, designing and building something that works as well or sometime better than the factory bought one. I understand often when it's all said and done you might have been able to buy on cheaper, but that isn't always the point. One of the reasons I like to design and build jigs in my shop in some ways more than actually using the jig to make the product, is that satisfaction of designing and building something unique.

When you get that thing finished and filled with a saw, take some pics of it in action and let us know how it works.

Thanks for posting the pics MIP - I have never seen one of these close up.

Ahh, it depends what yer buz it. I got more jollies out of building and moding the BIL mill than using it, and using it is a real pleasure. It's the one of the few tools that I have made that works maybe even better than I imagined it would. Thanks mainly of course to this forum.:clap:

For many it's the destinations but for some it's the road trips.
:cheers:

Bob's right on on why people build stuff... Sometimes it's as much fun to build something as it is to use. In a way I'm building this mill so I can give my 83 yr. Dad some wood to play with in his shop. Like they say, you never get old if you keep building.

jerry-

Very nice metelworking Jerry... I too wish I knew more about welding and such. I have to agree with Bob though, a large part of designing and building something from scratch is the pure satisfaction of just that, designing and building something that works as well or sometime better than the factory bought one. I understand often when it's all said and done you might have been able to buy on cheaper, but that isn't always the point. One of the reasons I like to design and build jigs in my shop in some ways more than actually using the jig to make the product, is that satisfaction of designing and building something unique.

When you get that thing finished and filled with a saw, take some pics of it in action and let us know how it works.

Woodshop,

Will do!

jerry-

Latest posts

Back