DHW problem on Shaver 165

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the pump for my DHW seem to be on a great deal but, suspected the wife had been using hot water and it was in a reheat mode. Noticed my light bill was back to pre-woodburner levels. Anyway, tonite I was going to check my water level and turned the valve waiting for a little spillover to let me know it was full. I just got a little trickle and it did not seem to fill normal.
I checked the valve we installed on the outfeed of the coil and nothing came out. My DHW lines run on a slab for about 5 feet before entering the house. The lines are in conduit and insulated with the rubber type insulation. I think the thing has probably fronzen somewhere but have no clue how to go about thawing it out. Don't want to wait on April. Anything quick and dirty I can try or do??
I currently have a kerosene blower directed toward it but so far it has not done the trick and with the insulation I have on the lines I don't know if it will. Thx in advance.

i think if i was you, i would try to heat up the lines at the point they come into the house. if there was a little water spilling out, then it is moving water somewhere, so heat the water up in the lines with the heater and let the tap force the now warm water through the lines. that being said, it might only work for one of the two lines. best i can come up with at the time, will add some fuel (beer) to the fire (brain) and get back with ya...

:agree2:

Turn on the DHW tank to heat the water. Keep an eye on your DHW circulator pump. I'd imagine that it's not good for the pump if there isn't enough water in the line.

It finally broke loose. I used the wifes hairdryer on the pex lines where they enter the conduit in the back of the furnace. After a couple hrs. I had water. My fix after that was to leave the dryer in there for additional heat. I have a 4-way outlet in the back of the furnace that is wired so that one side in powered always and the other side is powered only when the furnace calls for heat (thermostat controlled) . I plugged the hairdryer into the controlled side so that the more the furnace run the more heat I put on the lines. Worked great until the wife said she had to have her blower back. Then came up with the most logical solution. I now let the hot water trickle so that it has to reheat now and again keeping the lines warmer and they have not froze again..so far.
I had blocked off the back of the furnace from the front section with a piece of insulation board to keep the cold out of the roof section. I must have gotten it too well insulated and now dont have enough heat to keep the back of the stove area from freezing. I do have snow on the furnace roof so, something is working. Going to keep it as is for a while.

Back