diagnose a cs306

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mranum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need some help from the AS brain trust. Saw in question is an Echo cs306. It was bought new by my Dad maybe 5 years ago or so, I took it after he passed away about 3 years ago. Never got a ton of use in fact I doubt its had 15 tanks of gas run through it. It developed a problem where it has virtually zero power to cut anything thicker than about 1.5 inches and at that it will die in the process. Under no load it runs great. 3 pulls max when its cold and she's running. Sounds as healthy as it ever did but dies when you try to cut anything with it.

This problem started just all of a sudden while it was being used. Plug is a nice dark tan. I pulled the muffler and from what I can see of the piston it looks perfect, no burnt areas or even wear marks. Through the plug hole the only issue visable is what looks like a machining dimple in the center of the piston. Got worried when I first saw it but it looks to perfect to be anything but from a drill.

I've pulled the carb off and took it apart and found nothing out of the ordinary, and didn't see any visable issues with any of the fuel lines including whats in the tank. I have not changed the fuel filter yet.

What else should I check? Kinda like to keep it around just because it was Dad's.

Sounds like the spark screen over the muffler outlet is plugged up. Take the screen out and clean it with a wire brush and a lighter. Test the saw with the screen out and see how it acts. The whole muffler and exhaust port may be filled with carbon and will need to be cleaned. Use fresh fuel.

The muffler screen is perfectly clean. I did take the air hose and try and blow through the muffler as best I could and I did get some soot out of it but not much. I haven't not run it after I blew through it though.

Is there a way to take the muffler apart and get a good look at the honeycomb inside it?

Back