Diagnose these Lindens, win a prize

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxburton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First of all, there's no prize. That was a lie. But thanks for clicking. Here's the pics. Other than these pictures, all I can say is that the leaves have some chewing insect damage which may or may not be related, and that there are areas on the leaves not clearly defined that are lighter in color. It seems that we have a lot of dead leaves that are clinging to the branches. What is this?

Pics too big for my limited time here on earth. Try resizing. I have dial up...yeah, yeah, I know, "get with the times, get a DSL connection" but that option is not as easy where I'm located and I don't want to pay what their asking for a satellite link but you can resize your images by using this free and easily used program.
http://www.irfanview.com/
Once downloaded and installed, simply select file, then open your file, select image then resize, select the 640 x 480 pixels or any other size desired (hopefully smaller), click okay, then go to file and select save. I generally choose the 640 x 480 pixels option. If you want to keep your large image, be sure to copy it or rename your resized pic so that it doesn't overwrite your huge photo.
Even better are Windows Power Toys Resizer.
With Windows XP you can resize multiple images in one operation with Power Toys/Image Resizer. You can download Image Resizer in the Power Toys options. Download from the Microsoft page : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
With the Power Toys/Image Resizer, be sure to use the advance tab and choose not to make copies or you'll have too many images in your folders. You can also choose "Make Pictures Smaller But Not Larger".

It seems like heavy dieback for aphid damage? Are you sure at this time of year most of the aphids have already cycled. I see some powdery mildew or sooty mold? Did you actually see the aphids on the undersides of the leaves?

There were LOTS of aphids and sooty mold growing on their honeydew. A piece of 8.5X11 paper held under a cluster of leaves tapped once caught about two dozen aphids. It is a very extensive infection. The PHC guy with the company wants to treat with dormant oil now, again in the spring, and a merit soil injection in the spring as well.

At this point in the year you should be able to get control with one spray application and do the merit soil drench at the same time. The imidacloprid (merit) should start to be effective within a month. You must water the tree during this time to help keep dieoff to a minimum and help the imidacloprid get into the tree. A second hort oil spray will not be very effective because the systemic treatment is already working. Good luck and hopefully this helps.

Remember to use a soaker hose to get maximum root zone watering and minimize more fungal growth. Whatever you do dont water the leaves and put the hose a few feet from the trunk of the tree a few (2) times a week to keep the tree from getting any other fungal problems.

Back