Diagnostic Success

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was doing a first test run on a 460 and it was running fine. I got the idle adjusted and set the high speed screw fat because I didn't have a bar on it. So I'm running it and blipping it, just letting it warm up a bit. Soon, though, it started acting funky. It would quit and only start on choke and I couldn't get it to idle at all. I set the screws back to their original positions, but no luck. It was getting dark so I set it aside for the day. This morning when I woke up, it hit me. And I was right. It had run out of fuel.

Neighbor asked if I could look at his saw, stated he put a new chain on and something was binding it keeping it from spinning.

The chain brake was engaged. Sometimes it’s just that simple.

Spoils the fun when we know what the problem was. I'm betting there would have been a lot of replies telling you the compression was too low and you should take the muffler off to inspect for scoring.

Several years ago my buddy pulled an old Stihl 08s out of a dumpster at the land fill. He had to grab it quick, they have signs up stating no scrounging. It was real hard to pull over with the plug in. Pulled the plug and if was still hard to pull. So, I put the plug back in and set it on the shelf to look pretty. Yesterday I took it down to play with it. Pulled the recoil, and off the saw "IT" was hard to pull. With the plug out, hooked to the plug wire, I turned the flywheel over by hand and got a nice bright spark. Put a few drops of oil on the recoil and kept working it till it loosened up. Put every thing back together and shot a prime in the carb. Second pull it started up. It would run for about 10 seconds on a good prime. Filled the tank half full to see if it would draw from the tank. Nothing. So, I'm rolling it around on the work bench wiping it down. Rolled it upside down and gas poured out of it. Looked in the carb box and there was a shiny nipple sticking up from the tank. No fuel line from the tank to the carb. Might be why they couldn't get it to run.

Back