Diamond wheel on regular steel chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with diamond grinding wheels (resin bond) for sharpening regular steel chains?
I'm aware that diamond wheels are meant for carbide chains but i see no reason why it shouldn't work with steel chains.
CBN wheels are so expensive so i'm trying to find an alternative, the diamond wheel only costs $20, needs a reducer for the arbor and is slightly bigger than the original disc but those things are no problem.

Hey Allar!
I use both the CBN, as well as the Diamond wheels for grinding my chains. As far as I am aware, the Diamond wheels should NOT be used on regular chains, since the heat "melts" the diamond in the matrix, rendering it useless. That said, I need to say that the 3/16ths diamond wheel I use does not "fit" in the gullet of Stihl carbide chains, and thus it also grinds away some of the trailing edge of the depth gauge. I can't say that this has damaged the diamond wheel, but I don't like doing it. Apparently diamond wheels, hones, or files can be used by hand on many steel items, providing the heat is kept down. Apparently it's the heat that does the damage.
BTW, where did you get a diamond wheel for $20? I remember paying $109 for mine from Amazon...

Regards,

Mike

Hey Allar!
I use both the CBN, as well as the Diamond wheels for grinding my chains. As far as I am aware, the Diamond wheels should NOT be used on regular chains, since the heat "melts" the diamond in the matrix, rendering it useless. That said, I need to say that the 3/16ths diamond wheel I use does not "fit" in the gullet of Stihl carbide chains, and thus it also grinds away some of the trailing edge of the depth gauge. I can't say that this has damaged the diamond wheel, but I don't like doing it. Apparently diamond wheels, hones, or files can be used by hand on many steel items, providing the heat is kept down. Apparently it's the heat that does the damage.
BTW, where did you get a diamond wheel for $20? I remember paying $109 for mine from Amazon...

Regards,

Mike
Hey!
Well the good thing is that i would use it to sharpen sawmill chains . With sawmill it's impossible to tell if the chain is dull visually, like there's never any visible damage therefor it just needs a very little material to be removed.
I ordered the wheel from china through ebay, Here's a link
It's slightly bigger than a stock pink wheel and it needs a reducer for the shaft but other than that it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back