Did a muffler mod on my Husky 435. I may have goofed!...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been working on my husky 435, getting ready to run it. I wanted to muffler mod it, since I already removed the spark screen. I got out my dremel and set to work enlarging the outlet under the deflector. But I ground to far forward and the outlet now extends out from under the deflector. Is this gonna be a problem? Like melt the top cover or the chain brake problem?435 muffler 001.JPG I took the top cover off for this photo. They gray is the chainbrake handle.

I recently made that mistake on a Husky 576. I kept a close eye on it and after 2 cuts (with a 28" bar buried) it was starting to melt/bubble the chain brake handle.
So I cut the stock deflector off and made a new deflector that is bigger. Now I need to braze it on.

If you think it would help try using some heat wrap on the under side of the top cover and chain brake handle.
Just keep a close eye on it.

I used several layers of aluminized duct tape (the real stuff) on a top cover when I cut out too much that wasn't covered by a deflector cover. It seemed to work pretty well. It got hot, but the tape stayed in place and nothing melted.

The exhaust velocity will be shooting forward.
4ce7.jpg

Wouldn't put ANYTHING on the chainbrake!!!

Why?

Simple, you are changing the weight of the chainbrake so that the inertia mechanism might NOT WORK!!! as designed!

Personally I would simply use it and if a problem evolves, which I highly doubt since we are talking mini cc saws and there is hardly any serious heat to be expected compared to a 70cc saw. If a problem develops you can do a el cheapo repair by just lengthening the "roof".

Back