Did I get ripped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is called a "bar scabbard". And screw protecting the chain, I like them because they protect my flesh, and my kids flesh, and my clothes, and my car seat, and everything else.
I stopped making these for awhile because my bar collection was growing faster than I could keep up. Then I got to thinking that probably what we need is a long dedicated tool box that holds several bars, say a half dozen or so of different lengths and perhaps the chains that go with them. You can mount the bar and chain after you reach the work site. This box, coupled with boxes for the saw power heads, would take up much less space than saws with bars and chains already on board.

The bar box could be designed with slots to keep the bars separate and there might be room for chain storage and other small tools. Max bar length might be 25", but that remains to be seen. The idea is to carry the box with a handle and have a lid similar to a tool box. That would also simplify any box that you might want for a power head so that it becomes simply rectangular without a cumbersome long nose for the bar and chain.

Forum, what do you think?

I stopped making these for awhile because my bar collection was growing faster than I could keep up. Then I got to thinking that probably what we need is a long dedicated tool box that holds several bars, say a half dozen or so of different lengths and perhaps the chains that go with them. You can mount the bar and chain after you reach the work site. This box, coupled with boxes for the saw power heads, would take up much less space than saws with bars and chains already on board.

The bar box could be designed with slots to keep the bars separate and there might be room for chain storage and other small tools. Max bar length might be 25", but that remains to be seen. The idea is to carry the box with a handle and have a lid similar to a tool box. That would also simplify any box that you might want for a power head so that it becomes simply rectangular without a cumbersome long nose for the bar and chain.

Forum, what do you think?

I think it is worth a shot. You have the picture in your head, and have the skills to do it. I have seen some of your work. One con that comes to mind: I don't like the idea of putting a bar/chain on and off every time I go to cut. One pro: I think it could be a space saver if you travel with multiple saws, like most of us do. The powerheads with B/C just don't seem to space very well no matter what the configuration.

I think it is worth a shot. You have the picture in your head, and have the skills to do it. I have seen some of your work. One con that comes to mind: I don't like the idea of putting a bar/chain on and off every time I go to cut. One pro: I think it could be a space saver if you travel with multiple saws, like most of us do. The powerheads with B/C just don't seem to space very well no matter what the configuration.
Your last sentence prompts me to do this. Loads of room is lost in your vehicle while trying to carry them along. The bar box would save over half of the space now being lost to air. And, there really is no time lost mounting the bar and chain. You have to do this anyway, and I find it almost as easy to mount a bar and chain on the tailgate of my truck as it is in the shop at home.
:popcorn:

I went to the hardware store who have stihl and will be selling husky soon ... they offered me a free stihl cover but I will hold out till the husky store arrives ... rrp was $9

i never use the bar scabbards either. once in a while if i left a saw sitting on the floor and i go walking through the shop a bit sauced i nearly take a toe off bleeding all over but i still refuse to buy those things.

The last time I bought some was on sale for 1€ per scabbard. Mainly for my FIL.

I started using religiously after a loose fuel can slid across the bed of the truck into an exposed chain, slicing the red plastic can. Going down the road with a strong gasoline smell blowing in the back window has a way of getting one's attention.

Back