Did I just catch this piston before it exploded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many saws here are killed by the guy working on it?
I've yet to kill a saw, although I accidentally bent a con rod while disassembling a saw once. I was doing something sketchy to remove the clutch but I thought even if I wrecked the crank it would be okay since I had a spare, but it turns out my spare had a different flywheel taper. That little move cost me $70. That was back when I knew next to nothing about saws and was attempting my first rebuild, actually.

I wonder how many saws here are killed by the guy working on it?
Not near as many as are killed by the owner. My chainsaw buddy had a neighbor come over this past week and ask my buddy if he wanted to fix his brand new MS170. He had put staright gas in the fuel tank, and then put the mix oil in the bar oil tank, with predictable results. He tried to get warranty from the dealer but they were having none of it. They did offer him $10 on trade towards another new MS170 lol.

Not near as many as are killed by the owner. My chainsaw buddy had a neighbor come over this past week and ask my buddy if he wanted to fix his brand new MS170. He had put staright gas in the fuel tank, and then put the mix oil in the bar oil tank, with predictable results. He tried to get warranty from the dealer but they were having none of it. They did offer him $10 on trade towards another new MS170 lol.
You trying to start an oil thread? :popcorn2:

Did you use the metal piston stop and then hit the clutch with an air impact? or hit the wrench you were using with a hammer?
No :laugh:

I bring the piston above the exhaust port, loop the paracord in the middle then fill the remaining cylinder space with Paracord. I then use a breaker bar.

Of course. Smashing a piston against a stop with an impact would be stupid. I guess you had to clarify that, given the condition of your piston..lol.

not laughing about the condition of your piston. That is most unfortunate.

I've done it with cord too, but why bother? And why fool around with a puller on a flywheel? And why use a fork on balljoints on a vehicle. Smart mechanics have found ingenious ways around many things.

I do that too :) but only using the compression from the saw with the spark plug in. No piston stop

That’s what I prefer to do too mate, leave spark plug in and give it a few ugga duggas from the rattle gun and you’re all good [emoji1303]

Back