Did I screw up this piston??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAMMIXman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
6E06302B-BCF7-4E5D-A997-BE3401467015.jpeg So the question in short, see those dots up the side of the skirt and one between the rings? I slipped. Is that gonna be ok?

As soon as I did it out of instinct I hit it with some 600 grit even before I took the picture, I can barely feel it, almost not at all really. I feel the machine groves too tho. I don’t want it to blow up later is all. I think it’ll will be ok, what you all think?

The whole story is:

I was “Porting” if you can call it that(more like removing casting lines and cleaning up any BS). I don’t mess with timing at all, although I’d like to start measuring it. I just clean up, open up a little and reach as far up as I can into the transfers. I do not have the tools to do the uppers. Of course this is the first time I do anything to the piston and I slip 10 mins from the finish.

I just want this to be reliable as it’s going to be a “work saw”. I have a genuine 046 with AM piston and cyl that I “ported” with a 36” bar, and this cylinder and piston were it’s backup. Now there going to go on a clone 046/460 that will sport a 20” or 28” bar(still to be unwrapped and unboxed). These saws don’t run all day, they are just for cutting stumps low before I grind them.

I think this is no big deal but I’d love to hear 10 other “Don’t worry about it!”’s re assuring me.

If I get 10 people saying just get another piston the question then becomes, was it matched to the cylinder I already cleaned up??

Thanks in advance
Bruce

Back