Did my Stihl dealer stick it to me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a combination of sources to get parts for a damaged MS250C. After a lot of aggravation I got everything I needed, sat down, and put the thing back together. I then filled the fuel and oil tanks and went out back to fire it up.

Well being the "C" model it has the fuel primer bulb and, wouldn't you know it, after several squeezes that bulb cracked and squirted fuel up my sleeve. Darn!

Back inside to reach the dealer before he closed and I was surprised when he tried to sell me an echo part that he said would fit in the Stihl hole. I wasn't interested. He said it was a $6 part vs. a $15 part. I wasn't interested. He had to order the part (4130 350 6200) and said it would arrive in a few days. Stihl was closed on Good Friday so it didn't arrive. It didn't arrive the middle of the week after that. Finally it shows up this past Monday (April 8th).

I go to pick it up and he reaches under the counter, tears it out of its little plastic bag, hands it to me, and throws the bag into the trash under the counter. This is kind of weird because he has always given me my parts in the little bags that Stihl ships them in.

What! $18.00 for the part. EIGHTEEN DOLLARS for this little plastic bulb. , Okay, fine, I now have the part and I'm done with this project.

Get in the car and head home. Stop at a traffic light and grab my $18 bit of plastic off the seat to see what makes it so remarkable. I'm more than a little dismayed when I see "CHINA" on the back of the part.

I haven't tried to install it yet. Thought I'd ask the experts. Does Stihl sell parts made in China? Do you think this guy pulled a fast one on me. If so I'm going back to let him know that he'll never see me again. I bought a couple of saws there and my BG86 blower, vacuum kit, and gutter cleaning kit. I've been looking at an Ariens 28" Pro model snow blower, too. If he ripped me off I'll be sure to let him know that he lost that sale.

You stuck it to youself, Echo has better quailty than home owner Stihl any day. Your Stihl dealer did real good trying to save you some money, take the Stihl blinders off. Steve

Last edited:
Actually, especially on a cheaper saw, I generally "wire around" the bulb if it's bad. Chainsaws worked for many years without them and they still will...

Some will, others have a tremendously hard time picking up the fuel when run dry. Distance and angle of hose from fuel source [tank] to carb are the culprits.

I don't care what brand it is. It is a sign the carb can't do its job.

Has almost nothing to do with it. Most bulbs on newer equipment don't actually prime but instead just purge the air out of the fuel pickup line. To get this accomplished [sans bulb] could take ten or more pulls on some equip.

After sitting for a while most of my saws all brands will take 6 to 10 pulls to get started except the ones with primer bulbs which take 1 or 2, don't use the primer they also take 6 to 10. Nothing wrong with the carbs. Steve

Jacob.j sent me a carb for my 353 and it turned out to not have a primer hook up like the old carb. same carb just no hook up. plugged the line that originally went from the primer to the carb and she's good to go. although i would have rather made it functional because it's there so why not. it's no harder to start then any of the old saws that never had them so i'm just gonna leave it that way. good enough for me. she'll last just as long :)

believe it or not that primer here but a genuine stihl part or in a stihl bag anyways is $24. I live very remote so all the shops know they can stick it to you :(

Don't let it run out of gas, might run lean and damage motor.

Has almost nothing to do with it. Most bulbs on newer equipment don't actually prime but instead just purge the air out of the fuel pickup line. To get this accomplished [sans bulb] could take ten or more pulls on some equip.

Fuel line without bulb is shorter with less turns.

Don't see what TV has to do with bad saw design

Uh-huh. You probably don't like remotes either, you know the batteries in them go dead and you have to get up and walk across the room to change the channel.:hmm3grin2orange:

You really think a weak link, with a short life, in a system is an improvement? If the diaphragm pulls as it should one pull will fill an empty fuel line.

Back