did stihl stop making the ms441 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it wasn't on the website when I looked. my dealer didn't have any and cant order it either. I'm in north carolina

I was just wondering. thanks. I got a 044. I am kind of puzzled since the 044/440,was such a good dependable saw.

My local dealer told me the other day he preferred steering people to the 461 , much less trouble than 441's apparently.
They are still listing the 441 on the Stihl UK site .

I guess they are designing a new 70cc saw, anyone know what number its going to be. 442?

Dont know , Maybe they will continue with that model number , the 261 and 362 are keepin the numbers..i cant say one way or the other but id imagine the 461 is stayin for a while , i cant see them changing it since its also the rescue saw.

Depends on which dealer you speak to. I've heard every thing from bad crankshafts, to quality control issues.

All that I do know, is that I haven't seen one for sale on a shelf anywhere in a very long time.

Rumors alone would be enough for me not wanting one.
I never hear of problems with them, just people here complaining about them being fat bottomed. But then again I don't know squat either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ms 441s have never had good low end power....even with a 7 tooth sprocket...think of the 441s as the "rice burners" of the chainsaw world.... only cut with revs... Imo...but i can also say that that the 046/ms460s have a horrible design flaw in the air filter system...never seen a single one that could keep under the air filter even remotely clean....wierd to me.

I like my 441 for one reason and it is consistency.

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

My 441 cmr was very very good when new. Started easily, power all over the place. very close to the 460 for power and good on fuel.
The key word is "was".

It has assumed the status of shelf queen this year. I tried it last summer a couple times. Sounded like it was running well but just would not cut very well. I finally did a comparison between a 440 and the 441. Got a chain cutting excellent on the 440, and put it on the 441, and got another chain cutting well with the 440, and we are ready for comparisons! The 441 was atleast 25% slower than the 440. which puzzled me. My yard monkey said "it seems to have lost it's testicular fortitude" it ain't got any balls now.

I am at a decision point on what to do with this thing. a vac test is the next stage, and then compression (feels ok) who knows...

My 441 cmr was very very good when new. Started easily, power all over the place. very close to the 460 for power and good on fuel.
The key word is "was".

It has assumed the status of shelf queen this year. I tried it last summer a couple times. Sounded like it was running well but just would not cut very well. I finally did a comparison between a 440 and the 441. Got a chain cutting excellent on the 440, and put it on the 441, and got another chain cutting well with the 440, and we are ready for comparisons! The 441 was atleast 25% slower than the 440. which puzzled me. My yard monkey said "it seems to have lost it's testicular fortitude" it ain't got any balls now.

I am at a decision point on what to do with this thing. a vac test is the next stage, and then compression (feels ok) who knows...
Sell it. Not to me just sell it

Ms 441s have never had good low end power....even with a 7 tooth sprocket...think of the 441s as the "rice burners" of the chainsaw world.... only cut with revs... Imo...but i can also say that that the 046/ms460s have a horrible design flaw in the air filter system...never seen a single one that could keep under the air filter even remotely clean....wierd to me.
Could you tell us more about keeping under the air filter clean? I clean my air filter after every outing and nothing is getting through it. Thanks

I tried to have my dealer order a 441 a few weeks back. He couldn't find any on the website they order from and said if I really wanted one I could call around as their might still be one on a shelf somewhere. I ended up just ordering a 461 instead of looking around, but for some reason they don't stock 28in chains!!! Found that out after I received it, but I can find a few online

Back