did stihl stop making the ms441 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I bought a new MS-441C-MQ saw in early December. Had to order it in, because I wanted the -Q model.
You bought a leftover/stock.
The 441 is/will be gone.
It is not on their roster anymore although you may find it still listed on various trademark websites

I was at the Stihl dealership to pick up some parts and asked them: around here the 441 is still available as a "special order", meaning dealerships do not carry it anymore but can have it from a Stihl warehouse in Germany in ten working days. The model is still listed as available so no idea if Stihl is winding production down or simply stopping offering it on some markets.

Intriguingly enough I was told the MS291 is now a special order as well, albeit this has probably more to do with the fact Farm Boss family saws have never sold well here and hence Stihl is just adapting to the market.

Just like the 660, there were plenty left over when they introduced the 661.
Do some dealers still have a 660?.....I'm sure somewhere there is a ton of them.
Do they still manufacture and export them to the US?
NO

The 441 has gone bye bye

Not sure why it took so long either.
Their Rube Goldberg engineering department really fvcked that one up

The 441 imho wasn't what I expected. Disappointed mainly high reving very little torque down low. My 038 has more grunt than that turd ever had. Traded it for a 661.,now I have a saw. Throw the remaining 441s in the scrap bin with those 290.

Could you tell us more about keeping under the air filter clean? I clean my air filter after every outing and nothing is getting through it. Thanks
I really dont know...every one ive ever worked on always seemed to allow dirt in under the air filter, where it should be spotless...i was always puzzled because its the same setup as the rest of stihls big saws...the cap covering the carb underthe air filter would be loaded with crap whenever i pulled them apart...but in my business and the others i help out...regular cleaning is uncommon.

On another note...my 441 was the original model...a buddy bought a new 441c model a couple years back...from what i was told the difference was an automatic choke when starting...the originals are cold blooded...by far not impressed...7 tooth sprocket is a must i think.

well I was just wondering. thanks for all info. I'm not much on the electronic controlled stuff. I like having mine tuned by screw driver. I have a 440 hybrid. lol. 044 case. 440 handles. almost 85% new parts. I also got 660. I like both of them and glad I got both. both are strong runners and never have failed me. I might need to get a 461 then before it goes c=m. and put in closet.

Before reading this thread I had been told by a Sthil rep at the MN State Fair last summer that 441 production had stopped for some reason (he didn't give one) and they had none in the US so they knocked down the price on 461's until more 441's were available. But with the 441's track record and selling 461's cheaper maybe discontinuing 441's would be a good thing for Sthil. The owner of the good saw shop near me that closed last year lovingly referred to 441's as a "pig of a saw" and didn't care for them, and he had been in the saw business for 40+ years.

Yeah my local dealer doesn't even stock any "big" saw. I think only up to whatever a 360 is now.

I must be the exception, I've enjoyed my 441. I run a 8 pin rim and 25" bar, 3/8 .050 chain. I can bury it in 24" HedgeApple and it just zips right thru. My only complaint would be that it's a tad bid on the heavy side.

Talked to the Stihl Rep today. We can take orders for the 441 but delivery will be around May?! Since the 461 is about 1000.00 CAD they are an easy up sale.

Latest posts

Back