Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muffler

I believe I have seen some articles on here about deflecting the exhaust away from the operator. Mine really creates an exhaust blast right in my face. I'm going to Lowes and get a large muffler with 3/4 inch threads, a 4 or 6 inch nipple and a 45 degree elbow and turn it away from me. I have done this with old Troy Bilt tillers as a replacement and it works ok. The inside of the B&S block is neatly threaded to take a 3/4 inch pipe. Makes a replacement easy. If the threads are rusty, chase them out with a 3/4 inch tap and clean them up. Be sure to use the star type nut used on conduit to keep this nipple from backing out of the block, without it, it will work back out and your muffler will fall down against the engine.

I'm not sure how to post to a new subject, and I may have done this as a reply to someone else. If I did, my apology.
Dave

Didier Splitter Maunal Sought

We borrowed our neighbor's Didier splitter. Suddenly it hasn't the power to split bread! It says model # B26A on it. Is there anyone out there who has an owner's manual for it? HELP! Please send to:
[email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you!!

We borrowed our neighbor's Didier splitter. Suddenly it hasn't the power to split bread! It says model # B26A on it. Is there anyone out there who has an owner's manual for it? HELP! Please send to:
[email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you!!

Look for:

1. Air leak in one or more of the hose lines or their connections.

2. Crimped hydraulic line.

3. Low hydraulic fluid.

Manuals sent.

Shari

Check for loose or slipping coupling between engine and pump. If the coupling is good and the items in the previous post are good the seals inside the cylinder may be worn. To check cylinder seals extend the ram about half way out , shut off engine ,put control valve in neutral position ,place a small jack between wedge and push plate. Apply force with the jack, the ram should move only slightly if able to push the ram back into the cylinder the seals are probably worn.

Check for loose or slipping coupling between engine and pump. If the coupling is good and the items in the previous post are good the seals inside the cylinder may be worn. To check cylinder seals extend the ram about half way out , shut off engine ,put control valve in neutral position ,place a small jack between wedge and push plate. Apply force with the jack, the ram should move only slightly if able to push the ram back into the cylinder the seals are probably worn.

Thanks to all sending tips on our weak hydraulics! So glad I found this site! Our super fixer friend is coming over tomorrow, and we shall do a full investigation. I only hope we will be able to find the parts to fix it. It looks like it is the seals. I'll keep you posted!

I believe I have seen some articles on here about deflecting the exhaust away from the operator. Mine really creates an exhaust blast right in my face.

I just operate mine from the opposite side away from the engine and it alleviates the exhaust in your face problem.

Thanks to all sending tips on our weak hydraulics! So glad I found this site! Our super fixer friend is coming over tomorrow, and we shall do a full investigation. I only hope we will be able to find the parts to fix it. It looks like it is the seals. I'll keep you posted!

The Gods have been kind, and all it was, was a loose set screw on the hydraulic lever thingy! Tightened it up and it's back to splitting logs like a champ! I'm sure the manual will come in very handy in the future, and that is a godsend to have!
I highly recommend getting the dead ants out of the carb, that really helped the engine run a LOT smoother! I'd hate to give this didier back to the rightful owner broken! Heck, maybe he'll let us keep it warm for him - we sure have a lot of big stupid trees to chop!
Peace Out!

2 wheel tow dolly

It always seems I need to move the splitter to a different place in the back yard and lifting the hitch and towing it around by hand is a back breaker.

I ordered a little 2 wheel tow dolly from Harbor Freight. $44. plus $6.99 freight. It works great to move the splitter around with. Has a handle like a lawn mower, pulls as easy as an empty wheel barrow.

If you are breaking your back and risking stumbling while walking backwards, this is for you. They are available from HF and most any farm supply store.
Dave in SW Missouri

It always seems I need to move the splitter to a different place in the back yard and lifting the hitch and towing it around by hand is a back breaker.

I ordered a little 2 wheel tow dolly from Harbor Freight. $44. plus $6.99 freight. It works great to move the splitter around with. Has a handle like a lawn mower, pulls as easy as an empty wheel barrow.

If you are breaking your back and risking stumbling while walking backwards, this is for you. They are available from HF and most any farm supply store.
Dave in SW Missouri

+1 on that tow dolly with my Didier. I can even move our boat around easily using that dolly.

Shari

Work day today

Today was a beautiful day in SW Missouri. I started cutting up a huge dead tree blown down by a recent storm. I probably cut and split at least a half cord of wood today before I "fizzzled" out.

The old wood splitter works like a charm. I was very fortunate, I got the splitter a few weeks back for a $10. bill. The Previous owner said it had not been started for a couple years. I did do an overhaul on the carburetor, put in fresh oil and away it went.

I feel very fortunate in my purchase.
Dave in SW Missouri

I was very fortunate, I got the splitter a few weeks back for a $10. bill.

I feel very fortunate in my purchase.
Dave in SW Missouri

Fortunate isn't the word, That was a steal. Splitters of this caliber are worth 50 times that price, at least!
I paid $400 for one a year ago, it came with about a cord of split and un-split seasoned wood.
And I thought I got a deal....

Working the splitter real hard

I have noticed my splitter, after working it pretty hard, seems to stall out. The ram will connect with the stick of wood, but will not split it, nor will it lug down the engine. It seems to just sit there, then sometimes it will hit the stick of wood and work hard and lug down.

Have I got bad seals in the cylinder or is the pump getting weak? I almost suspect the two stage in the pump is not working right? I have "fiddled" with the screw adjustment on top of the control but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Any advice? I have worked it hard over the last couple three weeks, probably split 3 or 4 cords of wood and for an old splitter and an old man that is a lot of work.

DaveR

trying to id splitter

So I have a didier which I've owned for 10 or so years. I tried to get the model # off the tag by the motor/pump. I couldn't see it very well and when I wiped it off to get a better view, wonder of wonders, I wiped it right off! Bummer! It looked like PD but I couldn't really make it out and I don't see any PD"s on the model chart. It has hard rubber tires, pin hitch, and a single stage pump which ain't very fast, to say the least. Other than that it looks pretty much like all the pictures on this forum. A friend has a model MF and his has inflatable tires and it seems like it might be a bit bigger overall. I'd like to crank the cycling time of mine up a bit. Maybe with a 2 stage pump or what ever. Any ideas anyone? BTW great site!
Mike

New (to me) Didier MF26 - rebuilding

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Didier MF26. I have the manual!!! the hydraulic ram seal needs to be replaced. It is a type "H" and the kit number is 200360 but I can find no info on the replacement seals online. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Last edited:
Cylinder rebuild

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom, I think you will need to take the cylinder to a hydraulic repair shop to have it rebuilt, or have them give you the proper o ring seals to do it yourself, if you are so inclined.

The Didier Co. is history, and the parts numbers no longer have any meaning. I notice here on this forum most say they have had the cylinder rebuilt for around $80.00, some for less than that.

I'm looking at the same thing before another year, perhaps a new pump too.
Dave in SW Missouri

I just picked this low use gem for a whopping 275 bucks off of craiglist...

ADAA83CF-D25D-4AD9-B73B-7F5487A9BB94-3510-00000CB47DD625D8.jpg

Back