Diesel Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinDodge

Powered by Cummins
Reaction score
As the name implies i'm looking for a Diesel Chainsaw. The only one I've come up with is an antique that starts with propane. Have any of you seen one? I may be all wet on this one :bang:

TIA

You can stop your search now, because the only diesel saws ever produced were the antique Jonsereds that you've already heard about. Nothing current is made with a diesel engine. Thats a good thing anyhow, as a diesel engine isn't really suited with the light weight, high power needs of a chainsaw. Leave the diesels in your truck and equipment.

yup, as far as I know, unless you want to build your own race saw with a Cummins 4BT motor, you're not gonna find a diesel saw other than the classic Jonsereds, Comet, or other named X series saws. too heavy, and so much engineering involved in creating one that would work well.

TimberPig said:
Thats a good thing anyhow, as a diesel engine isn't really suited with the light weight, high power needs of a chainsaw. Leave the diesels in your truck and equipment.
I'm sure if there was one built it could be as "light and high power" as my david bradley gear drive.

Smokindodgew101 said:
I'm sure if there was one built it could be as "light and high power" as my david bradley gear drive.

We're comparing it to current production saws, not 50 year old antiques here. That David Bradley deserves to be compared to the old Jonsereds diesels. They probably compare more favourably to it, than a modern diesel chainsaw would to current saws. Diesels are good for some things, but they don't really suit the needs of the chainsaw market very well.

diesel fuel is difficult to ignite and burns slowly. Chainsaw with 5000-6000rpm is slow heavy and gutless:greenchainsaw:

TimberPig said:
You can stop your search now, because the only diesel saws ever produced were the antique Jonsereds that you've already heard about. ......
Not that it matters much, but the first diesel chainsaw was the Comet, made in Norway several yers before the Jonsereds Raket diesels.
The Jreds were a development of that saw, here is the story.:deadhorse:

Anyway, I think it is good that diesel saws didn't catch on - imo diesel should have been banned alltogether, as the stinking, polluting, stuff it is.:mad: :fart:

Back