Diesel tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You pun in additives that's what the winter fuel has in it.I agree with what you said that
is what I do as well but those that don't this will help.

One other thing is to get a filter on my farm tank that has a water drain on it . Somebody told me they sell them at tractor supply.

Doesn't matter what kind of Diesel engine. They all start poorly in extreme cold weather. Install a block heater and plug it in for an hour or two before you start up. Easy fix.

This just isn't true!

My AGCO starts very good in the winter, without plugging it in or anything else! I had a 6206 Deutz that started very easy in the winter and I see my neighbors JX65 and JX90 both start easy in the winter!

All mine needs is a GOOD battery and it will start EVERY time, even below zero...

BUT, my experience is, deere tractors are not good starters in cold weather...

SR

Doesn't matter what kind of Diesel engine. They all start poorly in extreme cold weather. Install a block heater and plug it in for an hour or two before you start up. Easy fix.
The key is a good strong battery. I have a 4wd. Yanmar that is kept outside. If the battery is weak it is not gonna start. Strong battery it starts well.... Very loud....lots of smoke...my biggest concern is the the tires freezing to ground.

My jd is cold blooded. Either it's addicted to the ether can or the block heater. I don't use ether so I plug it in then go back to the house make breakfast and it's ready to start when I get back outside. I plug it in when it gets below freezing. An overhaul ain't cheap and a hour or two on the block is a lot cheaper.

And I add treatment every time I add fuel. I've had it jel up once and i was 2 miles from the shop and that was not fun draining it at -10.

You could also add a glowplug to the intake if it doesn't have one already, it's also a good idea to add a heater. Change filters before the winter season and make sure that you have a good battery. Use winter oils, for example 10w-30 and 5w-40. Winter diesel is also a good tip. You can mix kerosene in the diesel if winter diesel is not available, but make sure that you dont mix in too much. I use a hair dryer on frozen fuel pumps and hydraulic pumps

This just isn't true!

My AGCO starts very good in the winter, without plugging it in or anything else! I had a 6206 Deutz that started very easy in the winter and I see my neighbors JX65 and JX90 both start easy in the winter!

All mine needs is a GOOD battery and it will start EVERY time, even below zero...

SR
I agree WoodTick. I have a Deutz Fahr agrofarm 100. Started many times at 5-10 deg and several times at - 5. It automatically uses the glow plug somewhere around 37 deg and down. That engine always fires off on the 2nd or third rotation. Only diesel engine I ever had that doesn't smoke on cold starts. That's 100 hp engine. I do use synthetic oil and ODYSSEY battery. It's parked under an open sided shed with no electrical power. So no engine heater.

This just isn't true!

SR
Some diesels are better at starting cold than others. My Kubota doesn't start very good in cold, but I keep it in the garage no problems. Weak battery, worn engine and injectors will make it harder. Of course if I had a diesel tractor outside I would have a block heater on it.

In my experience the john deere loaders always start good in cold. We had a couple Cat IT38 loaders that were harder to start, but most are ok if the block heater is plugged in. The John Deere tractor backhoes with the 3 cylinders always start real easy (when plugged in).

Almost any diesel will start good "if" it's plugged in, to warm up for a while. I was referring to diesels that sit outside and are away from electricity...

The 207 engine in my Case dozer is another good starting diesel in the winter, just not as good as my AGCO... I don't even need to use the glow plug in that...

SR

Hello,
Don't feel alone......I had the same problem last week. It tuned over fine, battery was strong, but it wouldn't catch. I think the fuel was gelled or there was some water in the line that froze and plugged it up !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

1. Treat fuel with an arctic treatment all year
2. Change fuel filter ever fall
3. Good battery
4. Working glow plugs
5. 5-40 Rotella T

I cycle my glow plugs for over min (seems like a long time when actually counting), add 1/8-1/4 throttle and crank it.

This has worked every time on both my Kubota and Bobcat (Kioti) down to -10.

A couple of my tractors start themselves in cold weather and turn the heat on for me. I feel bad for some of you with lesser machines.;)

Mr. HE:cool:

Only rig that gives me a it of trouble is a couple trucks with a 855 Cummins. Just cold blooded motors I guess, granted they don't have grid heaters or glow plugs either (quite common in larger diesels)

As far as something to stop fuel gelling, if the temps are normal for your area, you don't need anything. It's done at the tank farm/fuel station. If you end up with summer fuel and winter is rolling in, just use methyl hydrate instead of the snake oils sold everywhere. It's what it in most of the snake oils, just cheaper being it's 99% pure vs having all sorts of fillers in it. You need about 1/2 cup for 100 gals.

That's first hand info if your curious. I actually went to school for heavy and medium duty truck mechanic (like semi trucks) and have worked on them and heavy equipment for several years. Mostly cause I refuse to pay someone else to do it.

You could also add a glowplug to the intake if it doesn't have one already, it's also a good idea to add a heater. Change filters before the winter season and make sure that you have a good battery. Use winter oils, for example 10w-30 and 5w-40. Winter diesel is also a good tip. You can mix kerosene in the diesel if winter diesel is not available, but make sure that you dont mix in too much. I use a hair dryer on frozen fuel pumps and hydraulic pumps

A word of warning if you do add the glow plug to the intake. Don't use ether. BOOM!

This just isn't true!

SR
Some are cold blooded and need heat,glow plugs,and intake air heaters. Good batterys
is a must but not the answer.My

kubota has always started with good battery can ay never failed however the Zetor always needs the block heater one crank and running
even with good batteries just need that one hour of heat. I like things to start easy better on starters and all around in extreme cold weather anything you can do helps.

1. Treat fuel with an arctic treatment all year
2. Change fuel filter ever fall
3. Good battery
4. Working glow plugs
5. 5-40 Rotella T

I cycle my glow plugs for over min (seems like a long time when actually counting), add 1/8-1/4 throttle and crank it.

This has worked every time on both my Kubota and Bobcat (Kioti) down to -10.
Don't glow for over the time you set in operators manual doing so can blow out the glow plugs better to glow for allotted time 10 - 12 seconds then wait and reglow this will work as well as holding for a min.

a good tarp, torpedo heater and some heavy duty ducting was all we ever needed to preheat an aircraft.
Google bush pilots pre-heating airplanes and you get some "unique" ideas. A good idea is to have a quick change drain plug so you can drop the oil, warm it up put it back in the crank case then start er up.
in a pinch a light bulb and a good horse blanket will do if time isn't your enemy( like for over nights)
yes on the diesel treatment and yes for a drain on the bowel as well.

This just isn't true!

SR
A battery heater blanket makes a battery perform better. It will give more current out and will accept more charge current to charge up faster. You need to keep the battery, block and oil warm (synthetic) if it is very cold.

A battery heater blanket makes a battery perform better. It will give more current out and will accept more charge current to charge up faster. You need to keep the battery, block and oil warm (synthetic) if it is very cold.

I would make some changes IF I had to, but I don't... My AGCO started right up this morning, without the glow plug and after a few mins of warm up, went right to work.....just like it always does...

SR

Back