Diesel Warming Aids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I was wondering for those who have big diesel boomtrucks or chip trucks or dumptrucks what warming aids do yall use to if anything to keep it warm and ready to go?
keep them in the garage, why would u want a half a mill sitting outside:confused:in pa its not a huge deal if u dont plug the small ones in.remember if u buy a truck from lets say Texas it wont have the plug in option.

Last edited:
My 5.9 cummins has a block heater. Came that way from the factory. Most all diesels big and small have intake air grid heaters or glow plugs. The 5.9 cummins has an air intake grid heater.

Every 5.9 cummins engine in a dodge truck I have ever saw had a block heater.

Yeah, your right. Not sure what I was thinkin when I wrote that. I was talkin about the glow plugs. My dodge does have a block heater, although i've never had to use it. Its amazed me sometimes how easy that truck is to start in the cold and even with one of the batteries shot!

My 02 duramax came with a block heater. The one time I needed it I couldn't start. Plugged it in and 10 to 15 minutes later I turned the key and it started. High altitude around 8500ft and -16. Just wouldn't lite that day btw my intake air heater crapped out around 125 k-never had to plug in at that high a temp before. About 500 bones for a new board I think I'll pass. Don't need it normally anyway.

I didn't have time to finish my original post. But 99% of all the small diesels out there have block heaters, it's just with the glow plugs and intake "toasters" no-body ever needs to use them anymore.

I've heard hoar stories of people spraying starting fluid in these trucks with the toasters in them and blowing the toasters apart and having the pieces go through the engine. You can do it, but you have to wait for it to cycle off first.

i had a 70 something dump truck that if i needed to use it i would start a big bond fire about fifteen feet away from and in a couple of hours it would start right up and then every couple of hours i would go out and re-start it throughout the night so i could use it the next day. man am i glad i got rid of that thing

Back