Diesel Warming Aids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhightree1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering for those who have big diesel boomtrucks or chip trucks or dumptrucks what warming aids do yall use to if anything to keep it warm and ready to go?

I am thinking about installing a few after market coolant heaters but not sure if anyone here has ever used one or the dipstick oil warmer and diesel warmer

Ive only dealt with block heaters. I have never seen one go bad, Ive had to replace cords sometime. Mostly because they got ripped off truck. :)

Block heater

I was a diesel tech before I was tree tech and the block heater is the only way to go, works the best and lasts the longest.

Block heaters first...

Oil pan heaters if you want to be real nice to the engine. Trickle Chargers or battery maintainers will give the glow-plugs and starter some extra ummmpth also.

It is important to let everything warm up after starting it on a real cold day also, The weakest link will always brake on the coldest day.

Last edited:
Espar or Webasto heaters are the best. A little pricey but work with no outside electricity and use the fuel in your tank. You can run them all day if your working in a cold cliamate and having trouble keeping your engine at operating temperture. Or kick on the heater about 20 minutes before time to work and even a -40 it will bring the engine to near normal operating temperture making an easy start.

We use the circulating heater with a timer on the equipment at the mill. Never had a problem with them. We got them from the deere dealer but they fit any heater hose.

Block heater with the automatic timer is the way I do it too. If they run all night, I've been told its like running a hair dryer all night, it uses that much energy. Turned on two hours ahead of time has been great for me. Don't forget the fuel additive/anti gel.

Block heater with the automatic timer is the way I do it too. If they run all night, I've been told its like running a hair dryer all night, it uses that much energy. Turned on two hours ahead of time has been great for me. Don't forget the fuel additive/anti gel.

You got that right about how much electricty they use when plugged in all night long.

Block heater on the cummins. Never had any problems starting it in cold weather. I use a outdoor light timer($10) set to turn on 3 hrs before starting the truck. Saves on the electric bill.

Not sure what engine you're talking about. The 5.9 cummins in the dodge trucks dosn't have a block heater. It has an air heater in the intake manifold. Im not familiar with the larger cummins engines. They may have block heaters.

Most of all the larger diesel engines have block heaters. The smaller diesel engines (like the 5.9, Duramax, and powerstroke) have glow plugs/intake heaters for convienence.

Not sure what engine you're talking about. The 5.9 cummins in the dodge trucks dosn't have a block heater. It has an air heater in the intake manifold. Im not familiar with the larger cummins engines. They may have block heaters.

My 5.9 cummins has a block heater. Came that way from the factory. Most all diesels big and small have intake air grid heaters or glow plugs. The 5.9 cummins has an air intake grid heater.

Every 5.9 cummins engine in a dodge truck I have ever saw had a block heater.

I just bought a magnetic block heater from Napa for my tractor. Costs $45, but was made in the U.S. Don't see much of that anymore.

Most of all the larger diesel engines have block heaters. The smaller diesel engines (like the 5.9, Duramax, and powerstroke) have glow plugs/intake heaters for convienence.

My 02 duramax came with a block heater. The one time I needed it I couldn't start. Plugged it in and 10 to 15 minutes later I turned the key and it started. High altitude around 8500ft and -16. Just wouldn't lite that day btw my intake air heater crapped out around 125 k-never had to plug in at that high a temp before. About 500 bones for a new board I think I'll pass. Don't need it normally anyway.

Back