Diesel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was sitting here wondering what makes diesel engines last longer I have taken courses on gasoline motors and they talked briefly about diesels. I know they burn hotter and have much higher compression but I just wonder why they last so much longer then a gasoline motor. Thanks

Possibly the biggest factor is that they turn such low rpm compared to gassers, gearing produces the ground(impliment......whatever) speed rather than high engine rpm.

Russ

try looking up hyundai ship engines.......they built a diesel so big the block was made by welding plates together, no one could cast a block as big as they needed. the pistons were "huge" the engine had walkways around it. if i remember correctly max rpm was only like 300, yes that is not a typo 300 rpm was where it made all its power.

most tuck diesels are 6 cyl, a 6 cyl has 40% less moving parts than a v8. i think the low rpm power has a lot to do with the long life of the diesel engine.

You mean, like this?

Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:
Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)
Length: 89 feet
Height: 44 feet
Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

That might be a bit too much engine even for the die hard "BIGGER IS BETTER" chainsaw guys! :p

I think treelimbs nailed it though. Diesels are BUILT much stronger than gas engines. THe RPM issue is also a factor, I'm sure.

BlueRidgeMark said:
You mean, like this?

That might be a bit too much engine even for the die hard "BIGGER IS BETTER" chainsaw guys! :p

I think treelimbs nailed it though. Diesels are BUILT much stronger than gas engines. THe RPM issue is also a factor, I'm sure.

I'd like to see the transmission that bolt's up to it.

I think diesels last longer because the diesel fuel dilutes the motor oil to a less extent than a gasoline engine. Typically, diesels have a longer motor oil service life than gasoline engines. Saying it another way, diesel is a far better lubricant than gasoline, and some fuel always makes it into the crankcase.

The answer

The reason why a deisel engine lasts so much longer than a gasoline engine because for one they turn at much lower rpms like a big trucks engines rev limiter is set at 2250 rpm and the max torque is at 1300 rpms and max horse power is at 1500 instead of 8500.second they run a thicker oil 15-40. instead of 10-30. Third most of them run steel piston crowns for higher heat instead of forged aluminum pistons that wear faster. And finnaly they have high oil pressure at idle 20 psi, 40 psi under a load. But mostly its because they run at low rpms.

Stihl 041 super said:
The reason why a deisel engine lasts so much longer than a gasoline engine because for one they turn at much lower rpms like a big trucks engines rev limiter is set at 2250 rpm and the max torque is at 1300 rpms and max horse power is at 1500 instead of 8500.second they run a thicker oil 15-40. instead of 10-30. Third most of them run steel piston crowns for higher heat instead of forged aluminum pistons that wear faster. And finnaly they have high oil pressure at idle 20 psi, 40 psi under a load. But mostly its because they run at low rpms.

My engine's are governed at 3300 except my power stroke's which are 4000 i never run gas engines over 3500 diesels still get 150K more miles before a build.
My engines torque band's are all about 1800rpm

Back