Difference between Stihl .050 Gauge and .063 Gauge Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.063 is the only option here, but I believe .050 is the most usual option in the US.

Had to dig this thread up again. I have been running alot of .063 -3/8 lately even on my shorter bars and maybe the European countries that exclusively use it have a good thing going. Stihl .050 sawchain is .063 between the cutters anyways and that oilomatic drivelink system may work a little better with a .063 drivelink. I find less stretching with a .063 which is a good thing. My rim sprocket,.063 chain and .063 replaceable sprocketnose are all running on the same size track. Here in Canada for years it was a .058[Huskys,Jreds]and .050[Stihls] and its still that way . You can put a Stihl bar on a Husky with a spacer adapter but the Husky bar won't fit the Stihl. Good marketing strategy for either company I guess to sell their own product.

You can put a Stihl bar on a Husky with a spacer adapter but the Husky bar won't fit the Stihl. Good marketing strategy for either company I guess to sell their own product.

That was made so you can have the best bar and the bar being the best part of the whole husky saw. Stihl didn't want the rebadged oregon husky bars on their saws.......

That was made so you can have the best bar and the bar being the best part of the whole husky saw. Stihl didn't want the rebadged oregon husky bars on their saws.......

And that would be biased opinion ehhh:monkey: I say it is because
husky kicks the big dawgs will accept a pup but the pup can't sport a big dawg:laugh:

Wrong 2000 as I was talking about 058 & 050 bars in Canada. All Stihl saws sold in Canada with bars under 28" are Oregon painted Stihl grey with Stihl printed on it.

Wrong 2000 as I was talking about 058 & 050 bars in Canada. All Stihl saws sold in Canada with bars under 28" are Oregon painted Stihl grey with Stihl printed on it.

LOL, come to the States and get a real bar. I will even ship you one since you are such a good person.:dizzy: The only oregon bar I will take over a ES is the light weights, but they are high.

Tips come in pitch only, not by gauge. Your options are .325, .375 and .404.
Bars, obviously are gauge. Chain is pitch and gauge.
BTW, I run 3/8 .063 semi skip chisel (Stihl)

Last edited:
I would think the 063 is better in the cut imo.
It would not twist as easy being thicker. I usually
run 3/8 but have some 404 how or where do you get
eight nine and ten pin sprockets?

Must have been a long day Rope, if thats all ya got, you are slack. Just like a husky man to come up short.
Sometimes a short is all that's needed but yes I cut split a cord loaded
and hauled and then took a large oak off a building today. The huskys
kicked but Mrs 200 played well with the boyz too.

LOL, come to the States and get a real bar. I will even ship you one since you are such a good person.:dizzy: The only oregon bar I will take over a ES is the light weights, but they are high.

Yes I have a few ES 28", 36". Tough bar ,good rails but almost like a laminated, hard to resize the rails back.

Now explain about your 050 063 tip theory on a replacable tip[oregon windsor]. 20yrs plus ago Oregon last sold a slimline contour 050 tipfor their 050 pro bars but haven't been available since.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back