difference in bar/chain oil??!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old post, but I have had really good luck with the poulan in the green can. I just went through a gallon from walmart for 8 bucks. nice and tacky, no smoking. I was researching to see if I could find something better, but heard Stihl went to some inferior product.

That Poulan in the green jug was the best I've ever used! Can't find it with a bloodhound and search warrant around here any more!!!

Mike

At Farm and Fleet if you leave the saw aisle and head over to automotive they sell Mystic bar and chain oil for $8.00 a a gallon. (The major vendors have some pretty strict rules about shelf space, and proximity to competing products) In cold weather use, I like it, lots of tack (strings) and it flows well at sub freezing temps. I'm a firewood cutter and prefer cutting when it's cooler to cold. One note; the Mystic jug is thinner and more likely to get leaks in handling. I transferred my last jug to an empty (rinsed) detergent jug and will continue to do that, the detergent jug is strong and handles, pours well. It seems the large cap size actually makes it easier to aim and pour. I relabeled the jug, Mystic prolly not good for washing clothes.....
It does come up first in a store product search.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?keyword=bar+and+chain+oil

I transferred my last jug to an empty (rinsed) detergent jug and will continue to do that, the detergent jug is strong and handles, pours well. https://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?keyword=bar+and+chain+oil
I used detergent jugs for a while until I saw a buddy running a 1gal gas can for his bar oil. A pre-stupid-spout can of course. I started using a 1-gal can myself and absolutely love it !! I marked “Bar Oil” on it in about 10 places and haven’t poured it in the gas tank yet lol.

I run whatever is cheapest at that time. Currently my bar oil jug has a mix of whatever I had laying around for bar oil. including whatever was in some of the saws I bought along with some hydraulic oil and SAE30 that the bottles were maybe 1/4 full. I use a old laundry detergent bottle with the valve on the end I just stick a funnel in it and dump in the oil and let the bottle sit there for a while get every last drop.

I run the cheapest Damn B&C oil for years($7/Gal. on Clearance).

I've never had an issue running Long or Short bars with it for my application.

No ****** way I'm paying $20+/Gal., if I can help it.

Mad3400

Back