Differences between 028 and 028 Super?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinisttx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know the Super has more displacement, any other major parts differences?

There are 3 flavors of the 028 (they are all listed at 14.3 lb. w/B&C, and 12.6 lb. w/o)

Stihl 028 WB 3.2 HP
Stihl 028 AV/AVQ 3.5 HP
Stihl 028 Super 3.8 HP

Other than the P&C, they are similar, except the AVQ is a different in terms of the oiler and brakes. The early 028s also had points in the ignition.

Last edited:
Does someone have the bore sizes of the 028 laying around?

42, 44, 46mm

The 42 and 44 varieties were the non-supers, 46 being the super p/c.
The 46 p/c is a direct bolt on replacement for the 44. Not so the case if you have a 42 p/c, some on here have done it but it takes a lot of work IRC.

There are 3 flavors of the 028 (they are all listed at 14.3 lb., which is kind'a heavy)

Stihl 028 WB 3.2 HP
Stihl 028 AV/AVQ 3.5 HP
Stihl 028 Super 3.8 HP

Other than the P&C, they are similar, except the AVQ is a different in terms of the oiler and brakes. The early 028s also had points in the ignition.

I wonder where you have those fantacy numbers from?

My trusty ol' Stihl info tells me;

43cc (original 1977 version) - 2.8 hp
All 47.1cc versions - 3.0 hp
All Super versions (51.4cc) - 3.4 hp.

Last edited:
There are 3 flavors of the 028 (they are all listed at 14.3 lb., which is kind'a heavy)

Stihl 028 WB 3.2 HP
Stihl 028 AV/AVQ 3.5 HP
Stihl 028 Super 3.8 HP

I have one of the early all mag 028WB's that needs a rebuild. Points ignition. I'm assuming it's the smaller 42mm bore. I also picked up a later model 028AV with quickstop(not sure of the difference between AV and AVQ?). Electronic ignition and quickstop? This one should be 44mm bore, correct?
42, 44, 46mm

The 42 and 44 varieties were the non-supers, 46 being the super p/c.
The 46 p/c is a direct bolt on replacement for the 44. Not so the case if you have a 42 p/c, some on here have done it but it takes a lot of work IRC.

Do you have any more info on the conversion? I've seen tons of replacement 44mm P/C's and none that I can recall for the 42. I could probably get by with a set of rings, but I don't recall having seen those either. I'm pretty sure the jug on my parts saw is 44mm and if it cleans up(scored piston), I could just buy a P/R set and use that on the older saw.

I believe it required a little case clearancing and slotting the cylinder holes. I'm not sure if this is always required, as I remember reading that some members here claimed they swapped a 46 p/c directly onto a 42 saw without having to modify.

Also, the mufflers for the supers and non-supers mount up a bit differently. I don't think the mufflers swap.

One can still purchase Tecomec 46mm p/c's for under $120.

I wonder where you have those fantacy numbers from?

My trusty ol' Stihl info tells me;

43cc (original 1977 version) - 2.8 hp
All 47.1cc versions - 3.0 hp
All Super versions (51.4cc) - 3.4 hp.

I got those from a specs sheet. My WS manual does not have the HP numbers, but I will dig up the source. Several misprints out there on the web about the 028 that I have found as to size, RPM, etc. Here are the other specs from the horse's mouth regarding the 44mm/47cc/AV and 46mm/51cc/Super versions of the 028:

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/instructionmanuals/STIHL028_with_safety_manual.pdf

The specs are on page 46.

I have one of the early all mag 028WB's that needs a rebuild. Points ignition. I'm assuming it's the smaller 42mm bore. I also picked up a later model 028AV with quickstop(not sure of the difference between AV and AVQ?). Electronic ignition and quickstop? This one should be 44mm bore, correct?

My 028/038 manual has the differences between the AV and AVQ, as well as the AVE and AVEQ. The oil pump, clutch and braking system are different on the Q models. The AV models were all 44mm though. There were points and electronic ignition models for both AV and AVQ models. There is inconsistency between the specs in this WS manual and the ones online at Stihl, particularly the max RPM is listed as 12k, whereas online in the user guide its 12.5k. Also the Super is listed as 12.5k some places, and 13k in others. Both are Stihl published references (just so that the Troll does not get all excited :blob2:)

I believe it required a little case clearancing and slotting the cylinder holes. I'm not sure if this is always required, as I remember reading that some members here claimed they swapped a 46 p/c directly onto a 42 saw without having to modify.

Also, the mufflers for the supers and non-supers mount up a bit differently. I don't think the mufflers swap.

One can still purchase Tecomec 46mm p/c's for under $120.

If that's all there is to it, then that's not much work at all.

My 028/038 manual has the differences between the AV and AVQ, as well as the AVE and AVEQ. The oil pump, clutch and braking system are different on the Q models. The AV models were all 44mm though. There were points and electronic ignition models for both AV and AVQ models. There is inconsistency between the specs in this WS manual and the ones online at Stihl, particularly the max RPM is listed as 12k, whereas online in the user guide its 12.5k. Also the Super is listed as 12.5k some places, and 13k in others. Both are Stihl published references (just so that the Troll does not get all excited :blob2:)

LOL - it happens quite often that Stihl doesn't agree with themselves, between different documents....

However, the numbers I posted weren't based on just one document, so I tend to trust them.

Last edited:
If that's all there is to it, then that's not much work at all.

True for some, untrue for others. I shouldn't have said "a lot" of work, more like "some". Having the proper tools and the ability to use them goes a long way. Quite the diverse group here on AS!

I'm sure some members have more input on the 028 intricacies and hope they post. I'm sure this discussion has been had before, but finding said discussions is difficult, especially after the last reboot. It would be nice to bring some of this archived knowledge forward and current.

Doing searches on Google is impossible for this site. Doing searches using this site are also not always fruitful, even when you know that you posted the stuff.

I realize that there are different styles and at least two different styles of case mount for the 28 mufflers. Is the cylinder mounting of the muffler the same bolt pattern? I know it is between the 42mm and 44mm, so I figure it's the same for the 46. I don't want to assume though.

Back