Differences between 028 and 028 Super?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
42, 44, 46mm

The 42 and 44 varieties were the non-supers, 46 being the super p/c.
The 46 p/c is a direct bolt on replacement for the 44. Not so the case if you have a 42 p/c, some on here have done it but it takes a lot of work IRC.
can the 46mm piston and rings from a 028 Super be used for an 029-291 since they use a 46mm piston and cylinder ?

Does someone have the bore sizes of the 028 laying around?
The very first years had a 42mm bore, they upgraded to a 44 mm bore, and the super had a 46mm bore. I must say from experience the 42mm bore has a very smooth engine, and as the bore size increased, they became more finicky and rougher. This might have to do with increased production (quality might have been slipping), or the bore:stroke ratio, or other (everything I own is used).

What separates the WB from the rest. Guy was trying to sell me a pair of 028wb for 200 one hd a new carb, both ran. Hes the local Husqvarna dealer, so i trust his appraisal of condition.

What separates the WB from the rest. Guy was trying to sell me a pair of 028wb for 200 one hd a new carb, both ran. Hes the local Husqvarna dealer, so i trust his appraisal of condition.
I assume you mean $200 apiece. I sold one last year for $220. The new owner loves it. I saved one Super for myself and it operates flawlessly. The only reason I usually reach for my Husky 353 as my goto is because it is a tad lighter. The Stihl is actually easier to start after it sits awhile. No decomp required. I've always been surprised that they discontinued it and threw all their support at the MS261.

I assume you mean $200 apiece. I sold one last year for $220. The new owner loves it. I saved one Super for myself and it operates flawlessly. The only reason I usually reach for my Husky 353 as my goto is because it is a tad lighter. The Stihl is actually easier to start after it sits awhile. No decomp required. I've always been surprised that they discontinued it and threw all their support at the MS261.
No, the pair, I really don’t need or want them, I only need one small saw, and i have a 562, i think he has a whole mess of used saws there and wants to clear the floor, probably a trade in or who knows what. Been sitting there a while.

Vermont Fire? I'm retired FF. Some early 028 WB had metal tank. The brake springs are different too. 028 WB brake spring one circle whereas Supers spring longer so it overlaps.

I've noticed that recoil covers on WB are 3 screw whereas all Supers I've worked on have 4 screw covers.

Mufflers on most WB are 3 piece and a couple versions, 1 is shown. Another has a top cover shroud. The 028 salvaged from a fire has this. (will try to get front pic. BTW it runs strong)
The Supers have 2 piece with multi hole cover. The case screw holes are different.
There may be exceptions, these are my observations on my experiences with 028's.
I looked a saw adverstide on CL as a Super but muffler and recoil weren't like a Super, just had a Super cylinder cover.
b467604f36e3fc5c22c5df7652b6fad7.jpg
ed2c89a762a58ab020e4c0cb0e5ca6a9.jpg
ba919d24cba0157fa7942e14d0f34ad9.jpg
68f5188f79b2586457c4bc9fb1b97ea6.jpg
6a75fdce2c48818461a11244c09dac98.jpg
06d263117e4e41c11a7694b7dd809f8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

For saws you don't want 100.00 seems like a lot, if they're not Supers thats a little high in my opinion, but they must have made a ton of them and I've had them given to me for free with bad AVs , I paid 25.00 For my super WB.

Im in Mount tabor, Charlie you the is the dealer i was talking to
I've followed the stream up Mt Tabor to the source , looking for wild trout, head water of Otter Creek, a few ponds up there. Know the area well. Hunting too.

Billy Bratcher in Bennington is getting older but the best man I know to work on saws. He is on Gage St. A wonderful human being too.

PM me a connection for the saws, 028/038 is about the best stihl built

Back