Differences between the stihl 038 saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHRed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been doing a lot of reading since joining the site and soaking up a lot of info. Been working on fixing up my dad's old 038 magnum and got to wondering what are all the differences between the different 038's? I know the difference in bore diameters for the 038,038super and 038magnum but are there other differences such as porting or compression ratio? How many cc are each of these? Also what's the main difference between 038 mag and 038 mag II?

Thanks guys

Joe

62 68 72 CC

Early 038 had mag fuel tank and points, not plastic and electronic

Mag I is German, I think most Mag IIs brazil? Some PNW mags had tri port muffler. There were single, double, and triple port mufflers

038 and 038S had different cyl bolt patterns than mag

Early Tilly carbs are smaller than later Tillys and Bings

Lots of parts interchange from early to late, lots of "Frankensaw" 038 out there. Don't be fooled by "Mag" top cover.......

That's a start........

I'd like to see some pics of the different mufflers. I have a Magnum 52mm, I'm sure of that but don't know what muffler is on mine, sure don't see three ports..

Do you have an IPL?

Triple port has two outlets on the inner casing, Iv'e never seen one and it was mostly a PNW option for loggers in USA.

Dual port has outlets on both casings. These work better if you open things up as large as you can keeping the screens

Back