"Different" 2-cycle oil!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be either cheap or crazy, but I buy normal Valvoline 2 stroke oil at 5 bucks a quart, mix at 40:1 and run it in all my 2 stroke stuff, never had any issues.

I guess it all boils down to whatever works for you since what works for one person may or may not work for somebody else, even under identical circumstances.

I'm going to try some maxima 927 next. I'm out of belray h1r and I wanted to try something new.

Careful with the castor or castor blend oils. I ran Klotz super techniplate for a short while, it left horrible deposits. While I liked the smell in small doses, if you get a few good whiff of the exhaust, it will literally make you sick to your stomach. I can stand the smell now.:cheers:

Careful with the castor or castor blend oils. I ran Klotz super techniplate for a short while, it left horrible deposits. While I liked the smell in small doses, if you get a few good whiff of the exhaust, it will literally make you sick to your stomach. I can stand the smell now.:cheers:

I guess I'll find out here soon if it's leaving bad deposits or the smell is too much. If i don't like it I may go back to motul.

The Shinny "Red Armor" smells just like the Poulan Synthetic did (a little like Ultra). I have searched and searched for that smell since I can't get the Poulan Synthetic. I have no idea if the Red Armor is a good oil, but it smells right.....and that is what is really important:msp_razz:

Actually....The Stihl Dealer was the opposite way of where I was headed, and the Husky-Echo dealer was out of Powerblend, so I bought Red Armor.......It really does smell like the Poulan/Ultra and it is a pretty Red.:msp_thumbup: Is it burning ester base that gives some syns that smell? It claims to be the AutoRX of 2 cycle oils for it's cleaning capability:dunno:

There's a few different esters that can be used so it could be the base oil or one of the additives, eg. I don't think it takes a lot of castor to give that distinctive smell, eg 927.

One of the syns, Castrol's old TTS (now Power 1 Racing TTS....silly name) burns my eyes and gives me a terrible headache. I've never tried A747 or the newer XR77 and the Motul 8002T I'm using ATM is fine, even at 30:1. It's a shame it doesn't smell like banana's after it's burnt though as it does when pouring :D

You'll find any JASO licensed FC/FD oil will clean to a degree, they're designed to keep scooter engines clean and power valves functioning so you won't get hard deposits and as we know most esters have a degree of detergency about them too.

IMHO oil is oil. As I've stated before I eye ball my pours, don't measure nothing I've been mixin saw gas over 40 years. I gotta feel for it I guess. I use outboard motor oil mix, stihl, echo, whats its name out of the Indian owned gas station and I can't tell the difference, except maybe the color of fuel with the different color dye. With that being said I've never replaced a spark plug in my life either. I probably use between 3 to 5 gallons of mix a week. I don't know how much mix the other guys use. I think I have enough time on a saw to tell the difference, and if there is a difference its not noticeable.
My newest saws are 2/3 years old and my oldest are 20/35 years old. I have over 40 saws. I've never even burnt a saw up, got them hot as hell flushin stumps.

Yep after much consideration i switched to cheap (synthetic tho) oil. Some say oil is cheap insurance, but not really if you buy top notch product. Price difference here is about 17$ per litre, i mix about 33:1, so thats about 50c for every litre (quart you would call it) of mix. And we all know how long it takes bigger saws to get through that. :msp_w00t:

By the time the difference between decent and top #### oil will matter i'll probably have saved for a new saw or two on oil alone. I know we used to ran all our 2 strokes on ####ty cheapest dyno oil at 25:1 with nobody capable of adjusting a carb, and didn't have any engine failures (lots of build up tho). So the need the top dollar oil in chainsaws is questionable imo. Maybe if you're willing to pay for peace of mind. :)

I've posted about the K575 husky concrete saw on here before. It gets a steady diet of all kinds of mix except the expensive stuff. I can't say how old it is but I do know its cut a lot of long long hot cuts. It was on its last leg and I put new air filters and a spark plug in it. The tune up made the saw an animal it runs like a new saw with no more bogging down in the cuts.
I'm just gonna start getting itasco 2 gallon mix bottles for $1.09 and quit over thinking the oil deal.
Oh yeah by the way amsoil sucks!! :dizzy::msp_scared:

Speaking of headaches and oil:
The Stihl Ultra sort of has a burning glue or plastic tinge to the smell and
took me a bit of run time to figure it out, but seems the Stihl Ultra is clobbering me.

Since switching to the Ultra, I've slowly noticed that every time I've run the saw or blower,
I've ended the day with a sick (semi nauseated) headache.
The weedbeater seems to send the exhaust away from ya a little better (mostly trailing behind and upward)
and not be so bad to get the fumes in cloud around you
but still had *some* problem with the headaches.

Weird, huh?

took me a bit of run time to figure it out, but seems the Stihl Ultra is clobbering me.

Since switching to the Ultra, I've slowly noticed that every time I've run the saw or blower,
The weedbeater seems to send the exhaust away from ya a little better (mostly trailing behind and upward)

Weird, huh?

Well, as I mentioned Castrol TTS does that to me and Stihl Ultra is a Castrol recipe.

Coincidence ?

:monkey:

Last edited:

Weird, huh?

Ultra did the same thing to me.

You're thinking of Ricin which comes from castor beans.

AFAIK there's absolutely no castor in Stihl oil or Castrol TTS.
The only Castrol oils that contained castor are the legendary R30 and R40 and I think A747 might be a syn/castor blend.

Now put it back together , run a couple of gallons of anuther mix and repost new vs old pics LOL

Is a "Synthetic Blend" not a synthetic as opposed to semi-synthetic ?

Still interested in thoughts on that .

Hello , my name is Dan and I love oil threads ..............

Now put it back together , run a couple of gallons of anuther mix and repost new vs old pics LOL

Still interested in thoughts on that .

Hello , my name is Dan and I love oil threads ..............

Dan I think that a "synthetic blend" is just that. A mix of synthetic and organic oil. I could be wrong! I wish someone could expound on this!
Used Havoline "synthetic blend" once in one of my old Tacoma trucks and got a valve problem in a 22R Toyota motor. Maybe the best motor Toyota ever made! One of the reasons I posted this thread awhile back! Been using synthetics exclusively ever since that problem with that "synthetic blend." Could be just my supperstition!!

Dan I think that a "synthetic blend" is just that. A mix of synthetic and organic oil. I could be wrong! I wish someone could expound on this!
Used Havoline "synthetic blend" once in one of my old Tacoma trucks and got a valve problem in a 22R Toyota motor. Maybe the best motor Toyota ever made! One of the reasons I posted this thread awhile back! Been using synthetics exclusively ever since that problem with that "synthetic blend." Could be just my supperstition!!

Hey Bobby and you are right the 22re is the best motor yota ever made.I had several of them some i have run Mobil1 syn in with no proublem's.

Mike

Latest posts

Back