Fully Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil Vs Standard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you cant tell if it is equivalent without running the tests, which Scamsoil hasnt.
I would think Ben due diligence would indicate they would handle this testing in-house or via a competent consulting agent , No ? I saw enough Kawaski Engine Ltd Dyno testing back in Grand Rapids in the late 70,s during my Snowmobile Racing days . Not all that hard to analysis nox emissions lol.

This paragraph was taken from the Bel-Ray website. Link https://www.belray.com/2-stroke-lubrication/

Ester based fluids will withstand great amounts of heat and will not burn in the combustion chamber. Since they do not burn, the emissions are clear of soot and ash that are commonly found when using lower grade lubricants. These esters naturally adhere to metal surfaces and create a very tenacious film, so when the lubricant is brought onto the piston, it creates a film and spreads along the surface to protect the entire component. This film is difficult to eliminate, therefore, the engine will remain lubricated through very harsh conditions.

bwalker's comment
The only oil that's in the combustion chamber is the small amount above the piston rings and excess that is forced up through the transfers. This oil must combust cleanly and fully or you end up with all sorts of problems such as exhaust port blockage, fouled spark plugs and stuck pistons rings.

Seems like a contradiction. bwalker, you say the oil combusts Bel-Ray says it does not. You also say only a small amount of oil is above the piston rings. I contend that all the oil in the mix at some point in time is above the piston rings.
I feel for you Termite , however Ben has gone to the trouble of creating a rather concise explanation of the combustion process and the latent energy or btu,s more precisely that ensure efficient vaporization of a 2 cycle fuel charge . I believe we all realize that the actual fuel is a cooling effect agent . Actually 80 % fuel approx 20% combustion air , since a engine is a air pump primarily . Unfortunately the vaporization of fuel & oil due to density are vastly different therefore residual oil remains as the fuel flashes off to as Ben has advised , important internal engine components to provide the necessary lubricity ( I can hear Andre Chuckling ) . This is where we differ I believe ? Ben & I have stated that ester based synthetics are far superior within providing this lubricity within the engine at lower viscosity to provide maximum protection with no or minimal carbon forming deposit potential , due to their formulated homogenous additives . However I agree with you also in principle , that numerous other mineral based oils are more than adequate for extended saw usage applications especially Group II & III oils . There are also as previous mentioned by another forum member metallurgical structural changes as to Nikisil cylinders vs former Chrome Plated and tighter piston to cyl. Specs which effect heat transfer coefficient changes that have required these oil upgrades , combined with more stringent EPA guidelines . Sorry for the lengthy dissertation , actually can,t compare to Ben in that category , since i,an not a former Chemical Engineer as Previously advised ....Peeps ! :)

I would think Ben due diligence would indicate they would handle this testing in-house or via a competent consulting agent , No ? I saw enough Kawaski Engine Ltd Dyno testing back in Grand Rapids in the late 70,s during my Snowmobile Racing days . Not all that hard to analysis nox emissions lol.
And how would you know?
And wtf does NOX have to do with anything?

This paragraph was taken from the Bel-Ray website. Link https://www.belray.com/2-stroke-lubrication/

Ester based fluids will withstand great amounts of heat and will not burn in the combustion chamber. Since they do not burn, the emissions are clear of soot and ash that are commonly found when using lower grade lubricants. These esters naturally adhere to metal surfaces and create a very tenacious film, so when the lubricant is brought onto the piston, it creates a film and spreads along the surface to protect the entire component. This film is difficult to eliminate, therefore, the engine will remain lubricated through very harsh conditions.

bwalker's comment
The only oil that's in the combustion chamber is the small amount above the piston rings and excess that is forced up through the transfers. This oil must combust cleanly and fully or you end up with all sorts of problems such as exhaust port blockage, fouled spark plugs and stuck pistons rings.

Seems like a contradiction. bwalker, you say the oil combusts Bel-Ray says it does not. You also say only a small amount of oil is above the piston rings. I contend that all the oil in the mix at some point in time is above the piston rings.
I am sure Belray oil doent combust. Thats why its dirty junk. That's not to say modern ester formulations are not designed to combust. Indeed they are.

Poorly compared within todays Standards perhaps if thats your contention . As for Ester based Premium Syn. and Castor oils not having better cling performance when used within Alcohol based fuels your absolutely wrong . As I stated initially I successfully used Castor based Klotz BC172 racing oil blended with Methanol @ either 16:1 or 20:1 in the early 70,s Snowmobile Racing Competition . The only plant base mineral oil that would provide the cylinder wash protection and anti galling protection that this application involved . Was it dirty and necessitate routine carbon fouling tear downs , Hell Yeah ! Also have tested same oils in Hotsaw usage . Not testimonial or recommendation for your daily driver or Woodsaw !
You are comparing the ability of castors and some esters to mix with ethanol or methanol fuel with the ability of the same oils to resist being wiped off the cylinder walls by the solvency of both alcohols.

And how would you know?
And wtf does NOX have to do with anything?
Not sure Ben , thus the ? within 2cycle inhouse testing . I would presume that any million dollar company would protect them selves from libel suits. As for Nox testing sorry , this testing is more prevalent within Diesel Engines that can produce extreme temps over 1300 Deg . F and require intercoolers . Much as auto,s utilize EGR systems . Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbon (PAH) or more precisely Poly Cyclic hydrocarbon (PCH) testing may be more accurate within 2 cycle emission testing Protocals ? Not sure not a Chemical Engineer or Emissions Anaylist for the 2 cycle small engine Industry , however I do have 1 st hand real world experience within the Integrated Steelmaking Process. As to where our multiple Industrial 10 kilowatt Package Boilers were heavy producers of Nox emissions due to their fossil fuel dependence of Heavy C fuel blended with Natural Gas Injection . Abatement equipment were normally rather prohibitive !

You are comparing the ability of castors and some esters to mix with ethanol or methanol fuel with the ability of the same oils to resist being wiped off the cylinder walls by the solvency of both alcohols.
well that would be my assertion Ben , they mixed rather well for the technology castor allowed at relative ambient temps and were quite stubborn to remove from cylinder walls " cling " under extreme temps . I recall the gunk coating all top end components including the lower crankshaft and bearing assemblies during decarbonizing tear downs , which I feel is the same integrity premium ester class syn Group III , IV & V oil provide within 10% Ehanol fuel usage today .

The point is you don't know. You have tontesutbthe company. Given Amsoils long history of deceptive marketing bogus tests, and bogus claims Indont trust anything they say.
Well all I can say is I trust you call on that . How say you on my 10 yrs of non incident issues with Amsoil Sabre on various relatively modern former saws including Stihl MS 260 , 360 , 660 . Husky 288 xp , 357 xp & Vintage Pioneers you are already aware of and my newer Husky 576 xp , 243 xp , 346 xp & current new Dolmar 5105 H all fueled with Non Efuel ?

Well all I can say is I trust you call on that . How say you on my 10 yrs of non incident issues with Amsoil Sabre on Various a Modern saws including Stihl MS 260 , 360 , 660 . Husky 288 xp , 357 xp Vintage Pioneers you are already aware of and my newer Husky 576 xp , 243 xp & current brand new Dollar 5105 H all fueled with Non Efuel ?
Maybe it's great oil. Maybe you got lucky. Maybe you havent accumulated enough hours to tell.

Think for a minute what you are asserting. If said oils mixed completely in a solvent like alcohol wouldnt it stand to reason that the same solvent would indeed wash them of the cylinder walls?
Yes , it does sound bizarre when you mention it like that , however it worked for the short duration racing application then in competition . Perhaps my old age is catching up with me on the Castor situation , for other than extreme event usage . I think you have converted me Bro , off to Bed for this old-timer , thanks for the patience and enlightenment !

Yes , it does sound bizarre when you mention it like that , however it worked for the short duration racing application then in competition . Perhaps my old age is catching up with me on the Castor situation , for other than extreme event usage . I think you have converted me Bro !
Ethanol is naturally a pretty powerful solvent and it will wash any oil of cylinder walls. At 10% as is blended in most gasoline it isnt a catastrophic issue. When using it at 100% it can be, which is why guys that run ethanol and methanol use oils that are ester or castor based that are designed specifically for alcohols and they also tend to run much higher concentrations of oil as well.

Ethanol is naturally a pretty powerful solvent and it will wash any oil of cylinder walls. At 10% as is blended in most gasoline it isnt a catastrophic issue. When using it at 100% it can be, which is why guys that run ethanol and methanol use oils that are ester or castor based that are designed specifically for alcohols and they also tend to run much higher concentrations of oil as well.
well yeah I mixed the caster at 16:1 normally back in the day , prohibitive today and counter productive and a definite step backwards as you have indicated Cudo,s Bud !

16:1 is still common in racing. I have my own blend now I use with either Klotz original techniplate, or super techniplate, 927 would work as well. Even with the right oil some of these concoctions will still fall out of suspension quickly, only good for a few second run obviously.

As Ben explained it was about the oils ability to mix with the fuel. Gasoline is a strong solvent in it's own right and can wash the cylinder walls down too.

16:1 is still common in racing. I have my own blend now I use with either Klotz original techniplate, or super techniplate, 927 would work as well. Even with the right oil some of these concoctions will still fall out of suspension quickly, only good for a few second run obviously.

As Ben explained it was about the oils ability to mix with the fuel. Gasoline is a strong solvent in it's own right and can wash the cylinder walls down too.
As it pertains to solvency the differance between gasoline and ethanol is the fact that gasoline vaporizes at much lower temps than ethanol. Thus with straight gas and a warm engine there is very little liquid present to wash oil off wear surfaces. It's for this reason that if you tore a motor down immediately after you shut it off you would find no appreciable amount of gasoline in the crankcase.

As it pertains to solvency the differance between gasoline and ethanol is the fact that gasoline vaporizes at much lower temps than ethanol. Thus with straight gas and a warm engine there is very little liquid present to wash oil off wear surfaces. It's for this reason that if you tore a motor down immediately after you shut it off you would find no appreciable amount of gasoline in the crankcase.
Correct, I understand that. When you try and start an engine by squirting fuel down the carburetor, I always use mixed fuel, to prevent the possibility of washing down the cylinder walls. Which is the main scenario I was referring to.

FWIW I use supertechniplate and 927 in certain applications. A chainsaw isnt one of them. Even in applications that benifit from castor there are real and apparent trade offs that you have to deal with.
Yes only for cookie cutting. Ran ST for a few tanks in a work saw once just as a test, made a mess, as expected.

Latest posts

Back