Poulon Pro synthetic oil Problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philwarner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been using Poulan Pro synthetic 2-stroke oil in the easy-mix bottles purchased from Wal-mart and mixed 40:1 with 100% regular 87 gas in my saws and other 2-cycle engines for awhile now and wonder if anyone else has seen any problems with it.

I had it in my John Deere "Green Machine" backpack blower that I've used for years and a couple of weeks ago I noticed it was harder to pull-start and seemed to "catch" as it was being pulled (not catch as in spark plug fire, but catch as in it jerked a little as the rope was pulled) and after running most of a tank out and stopping it to do some raking, when I tried to re-start it the engine was seized up tight.

Now my Poulan "wild thing" chain saw is doing the same "catch" thing when it is pulled and it is stiff to turn with the plug out. I had been running it on the same 40:1 Poulan Pro synthetic oil mix.

I bought a new Husky backpack blower and have run the same gas mix in it, in my Husky chain saw, and in a Homelite and a Stihl saw, but am concerned that I might have a bad batch of oil here that could harm them too. Anyone had any similar experience with this oil, or could this just be a coincidence with two engines experiencing seizing at about the same time?

You said the engine was "seized up tight"... did you pull the muffler to check for scoring on the piston? Did you try turning engine by hand? Did you have somebody else confirm the engine was seized and not worth fixing? Or were you just talked into a new unit by a skilled salesman?

87 octane may not be good enough. Stihl and Echo call for 89. I have run 87 in Stihl saws without a problem, so I'm not saying that using regular guarantees that you'll have problems but if the carb is adjusted lean or the saw's running hot for some other reason it might cause detonation. Detonation can cause piston seizure.

poulan wildthing saws spec regular 87 gasoline i would point to a air leak or running lean killed it.

Poulan Pro synthetic oil is the same as Dolmar/Makita US synthetic oil, Baileys Woodland Pro synthetic oil, AND Husqvarna, all blended by Spectrum Corporation

Back