Different bar than stock on 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did some searching on Baileys and all sprocket tip bars they recommend for the Stihl 026 are 0.325 pitch. Yet I see that most folks run 3/8 in theirs. What bar does one buy for that? Should I use the part number codes since the saw selector there only gives 0.325? Needless to say they don't have Stihl bars either.
I seem to be having the same issue on their website with the drive sprockets: they have 7 tooth rim/drum combos and 7 and 8 tooth rims but no 8 tooth drums? Am I missing something?

I did some searching on Baileys and all sprocket tip bars they recommend for the Stihl 026 are 0.325 pitch. Yet I see that most folks run 3/8 in theirs. What bar does one buy for that? Should I use the part number codes since the saw selector there only gives 0.325? Needless to say they don't have Stihl bars either.
I seem to be having the same issue on their website with the drive sprockets: they have 7 tooth rim/drum combos and 7 and 8 tooth rims but no 8 tooth drums? Am I missing something?

Most 026s that I see have a .325, 7 tooth with a 16" or 18" bar.

Skip the single piece drum and get a rim/drum combo. Cheaper in the long run.

Stihl bars are available at Stihl dealers.

3/8 chain with a 8 pin will be a dog. You have to swap out the clutch drum . Not sure if it can be done on that model.

Welcome to the site. Go on down to the stihl dealer and get a rim type drive clutch drum to replace the spur clutch drum you have now.
For an 026 with .375(3/8) chain a 7 pin rim sprocket will work nice.

.325 7 or .325 8 both work fine.

3/8 7 can work well too esp on a muffler modded or ported saw. IMO it is the fastest set up for normal cutting conditions and a properly filed chain.

3/8 8 can't be done without custom work and even the most torque oriented ported saw will stuggle with that setup. I have tried, go set up for limbing but any wood over 4 inches it better to gear down.

16 inch is the bar for an 026, it's a personal preference thing but I find more bar than 16 and it hurts the cutting power and balance feels off with saw being front heavy.

I prefer .325 chain on mine, I've never had 3/8 on my saw but I tried on another and it was slower through hardwood. The rim/drum combo for this is only available in a 7 pin for .325, the drum splines are super small and specific to this and maybe a couple other small Stihl saws like the 024.

If you are looking for a cost effective bar and chain combo I think this kit is ideal for an 026 for a real good price.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BCC+17+SS63&catID=691

I have bought two of these kits since the bar and chain was only $4 more than the chain alone. The bar quality is OK, not great but OK. The chain is excellent too but it is .063 which is rare around here, I would have a lot of trouble buying a chain locally so I have spares. Also the size is odd, at 17" and 70DL you probably won't find pre-made chain loops anywhere (cept Baileys).

That being said the saw balances very well with this kit and it cuts well, price is right and the quality is fine for me.

The rim/drum combo for this is only available in a 7 pin for .325, the drum splines are super small and specific to this and maybe a couple other small Stihl saws like the 024.

Hmmmm?

had no trouble getting .325 8 or 3/8 7 here from local stihl dealer.

3/8 8 though is not manufactured though in the 026 small spline.

Hmmmm?

had no trouble getting .325 8 or 3/8 7 here from local stihl dealer.

3/8 8 though is not manufactured though in the 026 small spline.

I stand corrected, I thought I remembered not being able to get an 8 for .325.

Listen to Twolf, he knows.

Thank you for all the responses! This saw is new to me, just got it the other day:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220325434880
what do you all think? Will this do for infrequent use?
I have not seen the saw yet, it is on its way to the new home. Since the bar looked well used, I was preparing to set it up with a replacement but thought to go with a 3/8". Its not that I have a problem with .325 but thought that 3/8 is better for medium size saw. Even my small Partner has a 3/8 chain, and the 026 is larger.
P.S. No, I did not pay the $48 shipping. The seller is a nice guy and agreed to ship on a prepaid fedex waybill I sent him, $14 is all it was.

Last edited:
3/8 chain with a 8 pin will be a dog. You have to swap out the clutch drum . Not sure if it can be done on that model.

I see! I was not looking to go with 8 pin actually, but was surprised to see 8 pin rims but no 8 pin drums. I am not looking for speed, my experience level is too low to mention, so reliability is #1 concern for me.

That saw has the rim setup on it. You can get a 3/8 7T for about $6.00. I run .325 on mine, I cut mostly softwood, but the .325 is nice when I sink it in some Oak. Very smooth also. I would say try the setup you have now, with a new Stihl RS chain, you will like it.

Good point on the .325 being smoother running, 3/8 can be a bit grabby esp in brush. That said someone newer to saws will likely find the .325 nicer and easier running. What you give up in speed to 3/8 is slight.

big advantage of running 3/8 is when the 026 is your small saw, then you don't need to have extra .325 on hand just for it.

Last edited:
Good point on the .325 being smoother running, 3/8 can be a bit grabby esp in brush. That said someone newer to saws will likely find the .325 nicer and easier running. What you give up in speed to 3/8 is slight.
big advantage of running 3/8 is when the 026 is your small saw, then you don't need to have extra .325 on hand just for it.

I will take this advice and keep the .325 on. I am definitely not after speed. The 026 is my BIG saw, the other one being a 6.5 lbs Partner 1616 that I'm currently restoring (see another thread), and ironically, the 1616 has a 3/8 chain on it :confused:

It does have an Oregon 91 low profile chain...

P.S. I have heard that chainsaws are addictive. I have been deprived all my life (well, I did buy my dad a Druhzba saw when I still lived in Siberia, like this one and used it quite a bit)
1_4_02b.jpg

So I am in danger of wasting away now, kind of like with my diesel truck...

Last edited:
It does have an Oregon 91 low profile chain...

There is the rub, we are talking about two different 3/8 pitch chains. Your little partner has low profile 3/8 chain which is less agressive than .325 chain which is what an 026 would usually run. The 3/8 we are talking about is 3/8 standard chain which is larger and more agressive than .325 chain. You could run 3/8 standard pitch chain on the 026 if you wanted too.

If you want to look at Oregon's website at the chain you can see the difference between the 91 series LP chain, the 21LP .325 chain, and the 72 series big 3/8 chain.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it absolutely does help!
I did read the Oregon site for many hours by now, and the Stihl one, and the Baileys, and the variety is bewildering (you know that). So bear with me, I will catch up! Unfortunately, many pictures on sites are not to scale so the 91 looks very much the same as 72 :(

Back