Different Spin on Redirects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
This may already be known but here goes. I had an idea on redirects that I have yet to try. I wonder if you were to take the tail of your climbing line and throw it up over a limb maybe 10 to 20 feet above you and secure it to another limb ( using a bight of rope and a few wraps and finishing up with a figure 8 around the line) if this would work as a good redirect. The end of your rope would have to have a 'biner attached to it.

With the end of your rope you have an almost endless length to use as a redirect.

I would think it would add friction that may be undesirable/unpredictable. I'd prefer a loop and biner.

(if I'm reading you right)

netree said:
I would think it would add friction that may be undesirable/unpredictable. I'd prefer a loop and biner.

(if I'm reading you right)

My idea uses the same principles as the endless method. The difference is that the end of your climbing line, with a 'biner attached, serves as the loop. You would clip the 'biner over both sides of your climbing line and pull the whole thing up to the point where the tail goes over the limb. Once that point is made you would then tie-off the tail to another limb.

Does this make more sense?

Rich, there are so many ways to go at this, most are fine nuances of something similar, just with an little twist.

To know exactly what you mean, a picture is really kinda necessary. this doesn't sound like a redirect. It sounds like a re-set of your rope, mebbe the opposite end of what you're using? Help me understand better.

Tree Machine said:
Rich, there are so many ways to go at this, most are fine nuances of something similar, just with an little twist.

To know exactly what you mean, a picture is really kinda necessary. this doesn't sound like a redirect. It sounds like a re-set of your rope, mebbe the opposite end of what you're using? Help me understand better.

I will see what I can do for a pic.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's neat if you just need a quick redirect and don't wanna hafta set a loop or something. In addition to the biner, try a 2-sheave micropulley.

netree said:
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's neat if you just need a quick redirect and don't wanna hafta set a loop or something. In addition to the biner, try a 2-sheave micropulley.

Cool, I am glad that this is understood. The advantage here is that you can really get a good redirect on a overhead limb. The method of lock-off is up to the user!

Rich, There isn't anything wrong with what you propose but a sling and 'biner tends to be faster. If I'm going to pull up the line's tail and rig then I'm inclined to use it to make a second tie-in rather than a redirect. That way it adds security, tends to be a better counterbalance to position against and, perhaps most importantly, can be dumped without any backtracking to unclip. (Or if it is the better tie-in for working the remainder of the tree I can dump my original tie.)

Stumper said:
Rich, There isn't anything wrong with what you propose but a sling and 'biner tends to be faster. If I'm going to pull up the line's tail and rig then I'm inclined to use it to make a second tie-in rather than a redirect. That way it adds security, tends to be a better counterbalance to position against and, perhaps most importantly, can be dumped without any backtracking to unclip. (Or if it is the better tie-in for working the remainder of the tree I can dump my original tie.)

Good point, just adding to the list of options! ;)

I applaud the approach. I Could see it if, say, your original TIP was in the left portion of the upper crown, and you were traveling over to the lower right part of the tree and just didn't want to re-set your rope. It would work.

Thanks for the clarification

That's a valid point.

I like to set my redirects closeby, not high up. I will file this into my repertoire of knowledge as a do-able technique. I won't be giving up my slings, but I like options.

I'm not trying to be a smart alleck here, but I'd like to raise a concern. In the "clipping two ropes together" thread that Nathan started, (I think it was that thread) we talked about using a rope that was too short for the tree, not letting you get down in one shot.

In the clever redirects that Rich is showing, you'd be stuck if you had to get down quickly.

love
nick

I haved used it and the only problem is the rope crossing in the biner and locking up
net tree sug. dbl sheive pully works good, i have also used a spreader snap

I've used something similar, though using another rope so that I can throw the redirect, adjust it and retrieve it w/o having to climb for it.

The biggest problem with this type of retrievable is the spring and movement it allows. I'm with Justin in that if I were to use the tail like that I would more then likely tie off in DBL crotch.

Another option I've used a few times is like a tyrolean traverse. Get the tail up over a second crothc, put the pulley on my center D and tighten it up with the friction hitch, lean into it and walk or pull myself out. The rope looks like a splayed out "M" between the two crotches. Tom D. told me that Robert Phillips has shown this method in a few of his talks, though I've not seen them. It's another one of those things that is handy in very few circomstances, but neat to have when it works, like getting out on a long downward sloping limb maybe

Latest posts

Back