Diffrence between a MS460 and a 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdh1218

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my lack of knowlage but was wondering what the differences were between a MS460 and a 046. I know the MS460 is a newer model but that's all I know. Thanks in advance.

Sean

Im sure I will miss something but here goes.
Flippy caps on the 460 screw caps on the 046
Less restrictive muffler on the 046
Limiter caps on the carb of the 460

As far as I know all 046 and 460 saws have a decomp.
As far as saws go both are reliable as they can be and good running saws as well.

Thanks for the replys. Do both of them have decomp?
Also anyone's thoughts on the saw (good,bad,indifferent)

Im thinking my old 046 did not have a decomp but I could be wrong. Been a long while since I had it. Possibly the older ones may not have the valve. But if they are in good running order both are awesome saws. Really the same saw the newer ones just need to be opened up and tuned like the older ones.

Good Job, and dont forget different air intake system on the 460.

Perhaps MS460 is older ( or my 046 is newer), but I see no difference between it's air intake and my Arctic 046. Of course my 046 lacks "flippy" caps and has a different carb, but it's mostly a mirror image of my 460

Perhaps MS460 is older ( or my 046 is newer), but I see no difference between it's air intake and my Arctic 046. Of course my 046 lacks "flippy" caps and has a different carb, but it's mostly a mirror image of my 460

Interisting, Do both your saws have the air filter system that does not need the sponge center? mine definatly had the old style intake that needed the sponge in the air filter.

There is a difference that hasn't been mentioned yet. The older 046s had a D-shaped combustion chamber and better port timing numbers. They will walk all over a 460....

Interisting, Do both your saws have the air filter system that does not need the sponge center? mine definatly had the old style intake that needed the sponge in the air filter.
Ya might have me there. What causes a requirement for the sponge insert? My arctic 046 came with a fine screen air filter. Both it and my 460 have no room to run a sponge insert.
Gotta acknowledge the funny of "move the 0".
On a side note, when the 046 became out, the loggers around here were unhappy with it and swapped the ol 044 carb onto them like it was going outta style. Ya still can't find a used 044 carb around here

Last edited:
Im sure I will miss something but here goes.
Flippy caps on the 460 screw caps on the 046
Less restrictive muffler on the 046
Limiter caps on the carb of the 460

Initially the 046 did not have limiter caps but 20 months after it was introduced to North America the carburetors started coming with limiter caps.

Im thinking my old 046 did not have a decomp but I could be wrong. Been a long while since I had it. Possibly the older ones may not have the valve. But if they are in good running order both are awesome saws. Really the same saw the newer ones just need to be opened up and tuned like the older ones.

All 046s and 460s sold in North America have the compression release. All 046s and 460s (non-Arctic) sold in North America have had the same HD air filter system
and used the same filter base, manifold, and filter cover.

There is a difference that hasn't been mentioned yet. The older 046s had a D-shaped combustion chamber and better port timing numbers. They will walk all over a 460....

Only the 046s sold in North America and even then it was only until 11/99 when the "Optimized" cylinder and piston came out.
The 046s sold in Asia and Africa had a different cylinder with a larger combustion chamber for lower compression due to the poor
quality fuels sold in most places on those continents.

Latest posts

Back