digital camera

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
Okay guys I guess the camera is still down in CA were my daughter had her softball tour. I bought it about 3yo I know there has been tons of improvements. What do you guys use.

Mke is dead on - all depends on what you want to do with it. Figure that out FIRST. Action shots? Close ups? Know what you want to do and the rest follows from that.

As for info, here you go - more info on digital cameras than you can possibly use!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

He includes a lot of sample pictures in his reviews, which I find helpful.

One thing I'll tell you for sure - optical zoom is a must-have. Minimum 3X. No question. Digital zoom is WORTHLESS - all it does is crop the picture, it doesn't bring it in any closer. If you need to crop a picture, do that on your computer, not in the camera.

Batteries are a big issue too = make sure you get rechargeables.

Don 't get too wrapped up in which storage type - they all work. If you want to take action shots, you'll have to pay for better quality storage cards. That's the big difference in price.

When I want quality, I use my wife's Canon 10D. It's a professional digital SLR but slightly old by today's standards. You can pick up a used body for about $500 (not including lenses).

For quick, general photos (like milling in the woods) I have a $80 Kodak easy share. It's simple, relatively cheap, and much faster than any other compact digital camera I've ever used. It works great and not a big loss if I break it.

I got an Olympus C-760 Ultra Zoom.

It's got 10x optical zoom and pretty good. I use it for tree reports.

Sometimes I zoom in on things up the tree and when i get home and have a look on the PC it's way clearer and better than anything else.

Lot of people get sucked in by buying big megapixel cameras that have crappy lenses ... hence average shots.

Megapixels is bit of a con, it relates to the size of the pic.

I assure you that 90% of the people who shoot say 6 megapixel photos resize to 0.48 megapixel or less. It's simply the size of the picture in pixels.

It's a lot cheaper to fit a piece of cheap electronics than quality lenses!

My video camera only shoots stills in 0.43 megapixel.

Post 21 of this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=34591&page=2

The bottom picture with the baby on the back is out of the video camera, the 2 above it are out of the pic camera ... no massive big deal difference is there except that the ones out of the pic camera are better because it has better lenses for stills than the camcorder.

So my advice is go for the traditional camera manufacturers that made good cameras out of lenses ... Olympus, Canon etc

Ekka said:
So my advice is go for the traditional camera manufacturers that made good cameras out of lenses ... Olympus, Canon etc

Ekka is right. Look at the reviews and take the camera with the best lens. That's where the quality lies...

My biggest beef with my digital cameras is battery power. All take AA batteries, of which you can get good rechargeable and take pics all day long by popping in a new set every couple hundred pics. I do have one that takes a special proprietary rechargeable battery. That battery does last a long time, but not forever, and when it goes you're dead in the water unless you have another spare or are near AC so you can charge it up for an hour or so. As for the "spare" option, those special ones designed just for that camera by the manufacturer are usually VERY expensive.

Bottom line, if you can, get one that takes AA batteries, you will save money in the long run if you're the type that takes lots of pics out in the woods or away from an AC outlet or car charger.

I have a fuji, fine pix. Works great for me. Paid $150 several years ago and it is still in good working order. I carry it with me all the time. I recomend it if your not looking for something special. My gf has a $400 camera and is always amazed to see the quality of picture I get out of mine. And it takes AA.

woodshop said:
My biggest beef with my digital cameras is battery power. All take AA batteries, of which you can get good rechargeable and take pics all day long by popping in a new set every couple hundred pics. I do have one that takes a special proprietary rechargeable battery. That battery does last a long time, but not forever, and when it goes you're dead in the water unless you have another spare or are near AC so you can charge it up for an hour or so. As for the "spare" option, those special ones designed just for that camera by the manufacturer are usually VERY expensive.

Bottom line, if you can, get one that takes AA batteries, you will save money in the long run if you're the type that takes lots of pics out in the woods or away from an AC outlet or car charger.

What he said!

Canon

bookerdog said:
Okay guys I guess the camera is still down in CA were my daughter had her softball tour. I bought it about 3yo I know there has been tons of improvements. What do you guys use.

Of the sony's, nikon's, Samsung's, I like my Canon the best. I've got the powershot 540 6MP. Don't go with the 530, it's not expandable. With the 540 you can put a lens on it and use it like an SLR, you can't with the 530. You can also buy a waterproof cover for it and keep shooting under water up to like 90' I believe, and use all the controls the way you usually do w/out it on. It really takes a great pic, very configurable, and it's point and shoot so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to learn to use it. Link below. Hope this helps...

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=12942

Yea

aggiewoodbutchr said:
What he said!

That was the determining factor of me NOT buying a sony. They said you'd be lucky if you got 2 yrs out of their battery, and a new one is like $100. That's 1/3 the price of the dang camera. I shall not buy sony again because of that...

Panasonic DMC LZ2 and i love it!! Big pluss' for me are, uses AA batts that i like, has a Lieca lens, 6x "optical" zoom, close focus, tri pod socket, and best of all it has "image stabilization" and it's priced under $200.00 bucks!

Also it's a 5.0 MP camera and has many other features that i don't need...

I'm into photography, and i think this is one of the best featured camera's at the lowest price... It takes great picts!!!

Rob

I like our Minolta-DiMAGE A200 Very much.
I trimmed this pic down before I posted it.
this is allot bigger pic than I usally post but,
this is a different circumstance

Gary

Last edited:
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-F505V that I paid a bunch of money for about 5 or 6 years ago. It's 3.3 mega-pixels and has a Carl Zeiss lens. My gripes about it are the battery issue, it doesn't have enough zoom, and it's about impossible to see the display in bright sunlight. The zoom is 6x optical and an additional 4x of digital. Try to take a picture of a bird at 25yds at max zoom and the photo quality is not good enough to pick out the fine details.

I looked at a digital SLR with detachable lenses and a viewfinder rather than a display, but couldn't justify the cost for my uses.

The advantages of big megapixel capability is cropping and enlarging photos. You can take a big picture and shrink it without losing quality, but try doing the opposite.. doesn't work that well. I usually leave mine set at 2240x1680, and yes, I usually end up resizing it smaller after cropping the excess off. Framing a picture right the first time is not my strong point. :biggrinbounce2:

Ian

Latest posts

Back