Digital Dilemma!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought 11 of them (for resale), so I have an opinion or two. First, I'd stay away from HPs. The battery life and design quality is not too hot across the product line. I'm quite fond of the recent Kodaks like the DX3600. Lots of features and very easy to use, like the hot sync cradle. The Sony Mavicas are good cameras, but I don't like the ones that use floppy disks. The media can get damaged easily, it can be slow, and many computers don't have floppy drives. Can't say anything about Olympus, Canon, and Minolta, though I'm impressed with their film cameras.

Fuji just announced a high-resolution camera for $150. Seems like an excellent deal, but I don't remember which model.

Nothing really to look for as far as posting here. Just remember to resize and to reduce JPEG quality to make them load as fast as possible.

Psst...Want a great deal on an HP 215, or six? :)

I know camera's are off subject, but lets hear everybodies feedback on cameras here. I am also interested in purchasing one for use on here.....Rick

Creep on loggin'

Digital dilema

Why don't you get a digital camcorder and be done with it?
It is more bucks but then you solve the camcorder delima in one stroke.
You can have a Camera, Camcorder, Player all in one.

I like the Olympus cameras, but any of the better brands are good. If you spend a little more, around $250, you can get a 2 mega pixel camera with optical zoom. Digital zoom is worthless, as far as I am concerned, your software will do the same thing.

In the consumer range of digital cameras, what you will get for more money is predominantly more functionality, not neccesarily better build or picture quality. This pretty much holds true for cameras in groups of say 2:1 price range, the sub-$200 range is the first, up to the $1000-$2000 range at the high end. I don't know anything about the latest consumer offerings, but suffice it to say that what you buy today will cost half as much next year. This being the case, last year there were really nice cameras out there in the $300-400 range that had reasonable functionality and took good pictures for web display as well as smaller prints in the 2 Megapixel range. You should have no trouble getting what you want for $200, but I'd watch out for compromises below that price. Good luck.

I am partial to Olympus stuff. The are great on phone support

I would want optical zoom not digital zoom.

The "Smart Media" memory cards that Olympus uses are a good way to go.

If you can get something 2 megapixels or better you will O.K. for 5 x 7 prints, and that is more picture info than you have use for posting pictures on the web.

I have a four year old Olympus D-600L. It was about $800 back then. (1.4 megapixels)

One other thing. A macro mode is really handy for close-closeups. Just like an optical zoom compared to cropping and enlarging.

I like Compact Fash better, just becasue so many people have readers for the media.

Latest posts

Back