Dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youngbuck20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Kinda stuck here not sure what to do. A local guy who is also a fellow fighter has gotten me a few tree jobs, through contacts of his. He by no means knows anything about trees, I mean nothing. He asked me how much to do a 20 ft spruce and a 30 ft ash. Me, being in desperate need of money said 100 for the spruce 200 for the ash. The trees were at two separate location both almost 2 hours away. The spruce turned into a spruce and two cedars, all no more than 15 feet. K no prob. The ash was about 40' tall in a city backyard. So as you guys know, shed, deck, fence, house. They have never done tree work so I had to show them the "ropes". I do the job no prob but they took me for a ride not letting the top or some branches run a bit, he cut my brand new never been used rigging line in half, and didnt know how to start my saw so it was flooded so bad I had to take the muffler off and dump gas out of it!! Today he says 2 spruce just topped and dropped, arent as tall as the ash. Ok $100 per tree whatever i need the money. One spruce 60' tall in the corner of the house, the other was a cedar, same height, less than 6" away from the house. I limbed and topped the spruce then jumped over to the cedar. He had almost 180 degrees to drop the rest from the ground...smashes their fence. Yelling and screaming at his son just created un needed stress. So what Im getting at is he is pricing these trees without seeing them then asking me what I charge, hes making money off me by getting these jobs "for me". These jobs were worth much more I know but I didnt want to lose the job, little did I know he had already priced them and knew id do them for cheap. He's also a hot head and has no idea what hes doing. He says he has lots of work for me which is good cause I can start making a little bit of money but without seeing these jobs I cant price them properly. He describes them like they are nothing. He is a loud over powering person and Im the quiet guy that just does what people tell me to do. Do I work with him and watch him wreck everything in sight while freaking out on everyone and giving me much harder work than he says or just call'er quits and have no income? Sorry for the long post it was a bit of a rant Ill admit.

YB20, Its sounds like you should just walk away from him....but if you do get along with him and jobs are on his insurance, start charging a lot more, mabey he wont call you anymore or you will make what your worth.

If your not making money on your own, you need to rethink the tree business thing, your doing something wrong...dont lowball at HACKs price's, first mistake...

Hmmmm...if you want to continue working with someone who might damage your reputation or hurt you...

Tell him your hourly rate, that way you are not locked into a fixed price that doesn't even cover your expenses not to mention your expertise. He might actually get an idea of what a professional is worth.
Who's insurance are you working under? If he cut your rope, who's going to pay for it eh?

Tell him to give you leads, that he can not price the work. Offer him 10% for the leads and 10hr to work the job then bring a competent rope man and let him drag brush till he learns a bit. If he does not accept those terms then let him go. You are going to lose hair and money at this rate till he or you finally gets injured.

Have hooked up a couple of times with "treework brokers"
They were gonna get rich by making me rich type of deal. Except they had no skin in the game.
The experience has always ended badly. That little voice in the back of your head that says you are getting used is something you need to pay attention to.

You need to speak up, and tell him that without seeing the jobs, you can't price them. Then price it accordingly, and stick to it. If he doesn't make anything off it, too bad, he shouldn't be pricing something he doesn't know anything about.

Anotehr option, tell him to just give you the lead, then you'll give him a % of the job as a commision, or somtehing like that. That way you don't even need him around when you do the job.

You need to shock him back to reality and take back the high ground. He needs you, not the other way around. He's working you like a dog does a bone. Just stand your ground, don't be afraid to just walk away. Just meekly tell him I can't do it for that price,''sorry.''
I bet he'll come back around and at your terms, if not no great lost.
Boy I really dislike people like that, he needs to be b _ _ _ h slapped.
I use to let people like that manipulate me to, they use your weaknesses. You should try and get a job so you have an income, and not have to prostitute your skills at those low prices just because your broke. Find a mentor who'll build your confidence, not take advantage of you.

op

id burn that bridge... tell him to #### off... look him right in the eye... and have a tire iron right where you could get at it...

Its time you start a new agreement $100 covers your first hour and you know what you need after that. He needs to learn how to figure the work or loose his lunch money. He can also ride you to the jobs in the evenings and let you figure the work and cut him in.

Your going to get involved in something bad working around an idiot. I can't work in bad situations, my name or not, my conscience hurts.

Thanks everybody, I think thats the first no BS thread ive been a part of lol. You all have good ideas and good points. Just gotta buck up and either say hey man I have to see the jobs from now on and Ill do them with my groundies, you get x% or sorry man just too busy. He wanted me to take down 2 smaller rotten spruce. One cracked right up to the top, if i shook it it would have snapped for sure, wanted me to cut it down. Its a foot from the fence he already smashed lol so its just going to hit it again. Its so small it would never push through the other spruce branches from the trees around it. If i got a rope on it it would just break as soon as we pulled. He says CUT IT DOWN!! ITS JUST A ####ING TREE CUT IT DOWN!! It would have broke, split and hit the customers house so i said you can cut it then im not touching it and walked away.

Thanks everybody, I think thats the first no BS thread ive been a part of lol. You all have good ideas and good points. Just gotta buck up and either say hey man I have to see the jobs from now on and Ill do them with my groundies, you get x% or sorry man just too busy. He wanted me to take down 2 smaller rotten spruce. One cracked right up to the top, if i shook it it would have snapped for sure, wanted me to cut it down. Its a foot from the fence he already smashed lol so its just going to hit it again. Its so small it would never push through the other spruce branches from the trees around it. If i got a rope on it it would just break as soon as we pulled. He says CUT IT DOWN!! ITS JUST A ####ING TREE CUT IT DOWN!! It would have broke, split and hit the customers house so i said you can cut it then im not touching it and walked away.

Good deal.:rock: Stick to your guns. One thing I have learned doing tree work is that your instinct is usually right, like 99.9% of the time. If its not, you won't last doing tree work. The other thing I am still learning is that it takes a long time to estimate tree work effectively. It sounds like you have a good eye for tree work, find someone that appreciates your skills, respects your on the job decision making, and pays you accordingly.:cool2:

Latest posts

Back