Directing a tree's fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have two trees that are going to come down. Ones a smaller red oak, the other is a 30 or so white oak. My question is what's the odds of a tree falling 90 degrees to the notch and hinge? If the tree goes either way of the cut I have no problem, but if it should somehow fall 90 degrees to the hinge, then it gets my fifthwheel camper and the 1 ton truck. Just wondering if it can even fall like that. It's not a large tree. May 12 inches in diameter but it enough to go through the camper. :msp_ohmy:

Pickups, cars, outhouses, roads, leave trees, fences... all have magnetic properties that will pull a falling tree in their direction. I'd move everything you can out of the way if you care for it. Or, I'd get a professionally bonded type faller to do the deed.

The notch and hinge are a suggestion not a command. The branch loading, lean and felling technique have more to do with the final resting place.

Yeah, y'all are right. That darn trailer cost us $78,000 when we bought it. If I mess that thing up there would be a killing, or at best a divorce around here. It's one of those Tetons. And no, it ain't on blocks. 4 tires lift if from the ground and maintain position. But I do have a couple of cars and an engine hanging out of a big oak in the front yard. Never know when I'll need parts.

Mr. Murphy does not take vacations

If you have to move something that may be in harms way, just do it. The cost of time spent doing so is far cheaper than the cost to repair or replace., not to mention being spared the embarrassment with the neighbors.

For example, what if during the felling process the chain starts pulling what I call the "mush of death" meaning the tree is rotten or even worse a big donut on the inside that makes any thought of creating a hinge mute. I'm not saying this will happen in this case, but up here in parts of New England, core rot on large oaks both red and white, though not the norm, is common enough to be of concern whenever one is dropped whether marked for timber or being removed from a residential setting.

Take Care

Coupled with all that, you can put up some rigging to "urge" it in the right direction. No guarantees, but worth the effort. I'd still move anything I was afraid of squashing.

If you have ANY doubt on doing this, PLEASE have a professional do it. Don't be this guy...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qpJTJ5OA4HU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If and when you have to question your actions, that's the time to get some professional help.

You seem to have some doubt in which way the tree would fall. The least you should do is to clear the area. You are thinking that the tree could fall 90 degrees to the hinge??? Better have a few good wedges ready so you can free your saw. Also what Mac said...

I'm 95 percent confident which way the tree will fall. I was wondering what the chances are it could go against the grain and fall 90 degrees to the notch.

Not sure how close the items are to the tree but you also run the risk of oh it fell the right direction but the limbs make it roll one way or another.... its better to be safe then sorry!

I'm 95 percent confident which way the tree will fall. I was wondering what the chances are it could go against the grain and fall 90 degrees to the notch.

Sometimes they'll start to fall in the direction you planned and then they'll roll on the way down.

Like some of the guys have already said, limb distribution, wind, a bit of lean that you didn't see can all affect what the tree does.

If the tree has long limbs of any size the limbs themselves will cause a lot of damage. They can also break off and go flying...sometimes for a quite a distance at an amazing velocity.

Something to be aware of, and something that you can't really see or plan for, is that some trees can be heavier internally on one side or the other.

Stay light on your feet and move anything that might be hit.

Well, just as the tree start to fall a tornado might hit and then it's anybody's guess. The five percent is the part I have no control over.

Back