Disappointed with my 372xp...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A saw with all these issues, rode hard and put away wet! Do you really need someone to tell you what to do with it. I am like Lone Wolf, had many 2 and 3 series Huskys, cleared the shop of them 4 - 5 years back, kept all the Stihl saws like 45 or so and never looked back.

A saw with all these issues, rode hard and put away wet! Do you really need someone to tell you what to do with it. I am like Lone Wolf, had many 2 and 3 series Huskys, cleared the shop of them 4 - 5 years back, kept all the Stihl saws like 45 or so and never looked back.
I respect your opinion tremendously I know you been doing it most of your life and fixed thousands of them I take your word for it! Just like if you asked about a 200
T I sure as hell know!

I respect your opinion tremendously I know you been doing it most of your life and fixed thousands of them I take your word for it! Just like if you asked about a 200
T I sure as hell know!
Thanks.
If one runs saws enough for a long enough period of time and sort of keep track of the downtime each saw encounters no matter how well they are maintained then a pattern evolves, I follow the pattern of least resistance. On large cuts of long duration with 3 different makers of saws one make showed the least trouble.

Thanks.
If one runs saws enough for a long enough period of time and sort of keep track of the downtime each saw encounters no matter how well they are maintained then a pattern evolves, I follow the pattern of least resistance. On large cuts of long duration with 3 different makers of saws one make showed the least trouble.
I concur!

Trade it in for a 572 or go back to Stihl..:) I like my Husqvarna's, just not the X-torqs. Most of the 372 "legends" were created with well set up Original Edition's. The X-torq can be made to match the earlier OE's for day to day use but the 572's even the 576's are a better deal for me. Of course to each his own, I never saw the 372 X-torq's as 372, a different design with the same name tag. And I guess every brand has a model that doesn't represent well to those from the other side....those watching these type threads always have to understand the concept of a "Sample of One" doesn't define all. Either folks or saws. Funny thing is I remember when there was all this hate focused on those first 441's...I liked them and still do. Wondered if half their issue was they were more "Husqvarna" than the prior hocky puck anti vibration system Stihl's! ( I have SIX 441's waiting for my time to build them into project saws ) And of course the new Stihls are spring anti vib AND Auotunes! BTW To attract lightning...I would pick a 461 over a X-torq. Every time. BUT would pick a well built OE 372xpw over the 461's! every time. Go figure.I just like saws...regardless of brand. I guess to the OP... my actions defines my answer....I convert them to OE's OR gut the X-torq out of them. And NO full wrappers...I shoot to lower weight on my saw now.

The only muffler bolts I've seen an issue with consistently were 350s, and it's easy to remedy without chemicals...
View attachment 719671

Nice saw, looks hardly used. Mine are not pretty but heavily used in like many hunderds of hours, they are not broken or bent up but the finish shows the hours on them.

Nice saw, looks hardly used. Mine are not pretty but heavily used in like many hunderds of hours, they are not broken or bent up but the finish shows the hours on them.
Thanks. It didn't have many hours when I took that pic. It's so clean because i had just finished it. I doubt it looks so good now but you'd have to ask the new owner. Saws don't seem to stick around here much. I have a couple now that will probably be keepers. Neither are Stihls:happy:

It is true that I am a long ways down the road on using chainsaws, went through so many a ledger would be needed to keep track. Have ran about all classes of saws available in Canada or the States. I know what fits my needs, they are tools that do a job for me, they get proper attention maintenance wise but are not polished up and show their hours. It is an individuals choice on what suits them best under differing circumstances and that`s the way it should be. For me its never a choice of toss it or rebuild it as I am capable of rebuilding every last piece on something as simple as a chainsaw. I have pulled a saw down, split the cases and replaced crank and bearings after my evening meal, then taken that saw to work with me the next day to cut all day with it, no big deal. I carry enough spare parts to completely rebuild any saw I use on a daily basis but very seldom ever needed to. The only saw I ever had a serious breakdown with in recent time was a new Stihl MS440, flywheel side bearing cage let go, warranty would not cover it so fixed it one evening after supper, been back in use now about 12 years. I don`t evev want to think about the wasted time I spent on other makes of saws looking for and replacing things that literally fell off.

My older newer husky 385xp and 575xtorq run awesome so far. But they broke in after cutting 20 cords of firewood for the house. I don’t sell wood anymore. Sold my 2100/2101, my 266xp, 240sg. I wasn’t going to cut anymore. Then a deal came up to cut, so I purchased two new saws. I could tell the difference in them cutting. I guess these new saws have tighter tolerances. Yup a home owner running 385/575. I never had a problem with the older 80’s saws.

patience is the answer you are looking for slow down a little and taking the bar and chain off and back on is no big deal. blow the chips and crap off with the compressor put it back on not a big deal. with the wrap bar the tention screw is at a small angle. but thats not a big deal either. i have a 372xpw i bought new and has been a great saw. i have had several stihl 046 and 044 they are great too but the husy has out performed them in performance and durability. if you like the stihl better you won't have any trouble finding a home for the husky

The only stihl saw ever worth owning was the ms200t. I own 6 or 7 372xp in some form or another. They are a rock solid chainsaw that has been in production for years. I have never seen a 372xp air filter clog or ever heard anyone complain about one. Really. It is one of the best designed air filters I have ever seen on a saw. You should be able to cut for a year without touching it. The wrap handle aint worth moose crap. Replace it. Choke levers do get spongy. As the saw ages you will sometimes find them difficult to start cold. It is usually the choke not fully engaging. If the tensioner bothers you, remove it. It is not needed at all and you will find this a faster way to change a bar or chain. Your chain break should snap on and off like a light switch. If it don’t, stop using the saw and bring it to a dealer to get it fixed.

1. Get a new filter and make sure the flywheel side of the saw isn't gunked up. It shouldn't clog quickly. Make sure the nozzle going into the carb box is clear.

2. Replace the choke lever pull.

3. Ditch the full wrap. Unless you're felling all day, it doesn't get you much. I agree the tensioner is annoying with it on.

4. When you pull a b&c off the powerhead only back the tensioner off 1-2 turns. Even if you're putting on a new chain it won't change more than 6 or so turns.

I don't recommend swapping the tensioner to the inside of the bar. It's even worse.

5. Something is wrong with the chain brake. It should be snappy.

I REALLY like 372. Even the x-torqs. They deliver a lot of speed and power in the cut and have better throttle response stock. At first they seem awkward and finnicky, but you get used to the quirks very quickly.

My one major complaint is the screws. You really do have to tighten all the external screws carefully. Many only stay put with loctite. So get used to checking those screws. The muffler bolts, the pull start screws and the top cover screws all come loose.

A major benefit of the 372 is a lower cost of repairs and parts. Especially compared to 441.

Use it for a while. If you still don't like it get a 460 or 461.

Post some pics of your problem areas. As far as air cleaner, what could be easier to clean? Are you running a winter filter? Choke lever can be replaced or spread ends, or melt end. Have seen 372s with over 20 years service, still going strong.

Post some pics of your problem areas. As far as air cleaner, what could be easier to clean? Are you running a winter filter? Choke lever can be replaced or spread ends, or melt end. Have seen 372s with over 20 years service, still going strong.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow! Thanks, Duce!

Latest posts

Back